Just how much water is ALOT

Options
Everyone said if your weight goes up overnight it is probally because u are retaining water d/t sodium. Everyones advice is DRINK A TON OF WATER. I drink 8 to 10 cups everyday.. If i start retaining water or eat to much sodium how much water should i drink??

Replies

• larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If your weight goes UP overnight, and you haven't eaten or drunk anything, it's time for a new scale.

It's physically impossible for that to happen.

Just limit your portion sizes, and you'll be fine. It's not the day-to-day weight changes you need to worry about. It's the long term average.
    So, post that graph paper on the wall and write the number down every night.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i was taught to drink half your body weight in water. this helps not to retain too.

example weight 200 pounds , drink 100 oz ( that's almost 13 cups)
    I like drinking a standard bottle of water like Nestle 16.9oz and it makes it so simple to get your water in each day.
    I have found the more water I drink the less bloated I feel and my weight doesnt go up do to retaining water
  • larsonp
    Options
    Drinking that much is quite unnecessary.
    There's no scientific evidence indicating that the body needs much water at all! If you're eating mostly fresh foods (not dry crackers and such), you're getting most of the liquid you need from your food. A small glass of water with each meal is usually enough for most of us.
    Of course, if you're sweating out 3 pounds of water during your workouts, you absolutely need to replace that water.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon on some days, other days I drink more. I just like water and tea and can feel a huge difference on the days I don't get a lot of water.
  • larsonp
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon on some days, other days I drink more. I just like water and tea and can feel a huge difference on the days I don't get a lot of water.

That difference is your bladder finally getting a rest! (I kid)
  • larsonp
    Options

Most people can drink that much water without any impact to their health. Some people, especially anyone with troubled kidney, should not drink that much water, since their kidneys just can't keep up.

People dying from drinking too much water does happen, though it's rare. (Remember the "hold your wee for a Wii" contest?)
  • Kat120285
    Options

That difference is your bladder finally getting a rest! (I kid)

Once you maintain it each day, your body adjusts and you don't make such frequent trips to the bathroom. Yes water intoxication is real but rare and there are circumstances. The fact is, I need the water, I work out hard twice a day on top of housework and playing with my three dogs. It keeps my body hydrated and makes me feel great. For those with health issues, more times than not, they know what and what they cannot have.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does help, but if you eat a really high sodium meal, or your over sodium a lot, drinking more water won't just wash away the extra salt. Most likely you'll still see a gain for a day or two.

As for how much water you should be drinking. I like thinking of it this way (as my doctor explained it to me). Since everyone is different etc. Its all by pee color ,so sorry if its gross for any of you. lol

If your pee is clear - your drinking too much water.

If your pee is ea very very light yellow - you are good & hydrated, keep drinking enough water to stay here.

if your pee is dark yellow - you are not drinking enough water, and are letting yourself get dehydrated.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Most people can drink that much water without any impact to their health. Some people, especially anyone with troubled kidney, should not drink that much water, since their kidneys just can't keep up.

People dying from drinking too much water does happen, though it's rare. (Remember the "hold your wee for a Wii" contest?)

I have kidney disease and am in stage 3 chronic kidney failure and my doctor has me drinking a lot of water because your kidney's do need that. It's not until you are in end stage renal failure that you have to kick it back considerably. I find that I don't retain as much fluid overnight when I've drank a lot of water during the day and I usually drink over 13 cups a day. All my doctor's have always encouraged drinking a lot of water and I believe in it. :happy:
  • Kat120285
    Options

I have kidney disease and am in stage 3 chronic kidney failure and my doctor has me drinking a lot of water because your kidney's do need that. It's not until you are in end stage renal failure that you have to kick it back considerably. I find that I don't retain as much fluid overnight when I've drank a lot of water during the day and I usually drink over 13 cups a day. All my doctor's have always encouraged drinking a lot of water and I believe in it. :happy:

I completely forgot to mention the retention of water! When I maintain my high amounts of water, I don't carry a lot of water weight and the bloat doesn't come around at all =]
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I generally drink between 14-20 cups a day...but I have bad days where I get 9
  • Kat120285
    Options
    I generally drink between 14-20 cups a day...but I have bad days where I get 9

I'd say 9 is better than 0 =]
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does help, but if you eat a really high sodium meal, or your over sodium a lot, drinking more water won't just wash away the extra salt. Most likely you'll still see a gain for a day or two.

As for how much water you should be drinking. I like thinking of it this way (as my doctor explained it to me). Since everyone is different etc. Its all by pee color ,so sorry if its gross for any of you. lol

If your pee is clear - your drinking too much water.

If your pee is ea very very light yellow - you are good & hydrated, keep drinking enough water to stay here.

if your pee is dark yellow - you are not drinking enough water, and are letting yourself get dehydrated.