No Carbs= Bad Taste???

Options
I have a question about starting a low carb diet (I am actually just looking for a jumpstart for a week or so). I have tried Atkins and I always get an awful taste in my mouth, it’s so bad that the taste is the reason I quit every time I start. I see a lot of people recommending me cutting back on my carbs (I think I eat more then most people) and do think there is some truth to it and having a successful weight loss journey. Is there somewhere I can find a good balance of low carbs but make sure I don’t get the taste in my mouth??? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you!

Replies

• cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    That metallic taste sucks. Eat vegetables and lean protein. Cut the gluten and anything that has more than one ingredient. That's the easiest and quite effective low carb diet I've found.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Low carb dieting is not my choice for weight loss, but I have done it in the past. I will not try to change your mind about your plan because I know that food choices are a very personal thing. When I did try low carbing it, I was told that the taste comes from the ketones your body makes as a by-product of fat metabolism. It is a good thing. Chew sugar free gum. Good luck to you. :smile:
  • kaytonp
    kaytonp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced the bad taste in my mouth, then again I have never cut carbs completely like on Atkins. I lost 83 pounds in 6 months by eating 120 grams protein, 45 grams heart healthy fat, and 180 grams unrefined carbs each day.
    I completely stayed away from refined carbs such as sugar and white wheat and unhealthy fat such as frying oil or butter.

Also, to make the diet easier, whenever I eat protein I eat carbs too, I try to have portion of each. So if I have a non-fat Greek yogurt, I'll have berries, apple, or an orange with it.

A tip: Also try not to drink any of your calaries, your body will not register it and you will still feel hungry even though you may have gotten a full meal's worth of calaries from juice, soda, coffee or alcohol. Diet sodas and artificial sweeteners also make you hungry because they make your brain release insulin.

This combined with calorie limiting and exercise I lost an average of 3.5 pounds per week.

Good Luck,
    Hope combining equal parts carbs and protein helps you with the bad taste.
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you feel like eating.
    Manage your calories.

Atkins is a Fad diet, and is not scientifically valid as a weight loss solution.
  • BigWhompy
    BigWhompy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Didn't that Atkins dude die of a heart attack?

Balance is key. Eat natural foods, stay away from processed fats and sugars. Don't worry so much about sugar that comes from fruit, veggies, and nuts. It's there for a reason!
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Balance is key. Eat natural foods, stay away from processed fats and sugars. Don't worry so much about sugar that comes from fruit, veggies, and nuts. It's there for a reason!

I totally agree. The word Atkins makes me cringe. Its not healthy AT ALL, it does more damage to your body than good, and most of the time you'll gain that weight back..because who can go without carbs forever? No one. We need healthy complex carbs. Balance is the way to go!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    You are in Ketosis. Basically your body shifted from burning carbs for fuel to burning fat for fuel. I do not do a low carb diet on purpose but have gone into ketosis when the carbs just ended up short. During my ketosis weeks I did lose more weight than usual. Eat some more carbs over the next couple of days and it will go away.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I've tried Atkins more than once, it comes off but it comes back even faster! I'm losing weight on MFP eating over 100 carbs a day and 1200 cals daily. So much easier than Atkins I just eat whole wheat.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I accidentally hit ketosis a couple of weeks ago...the taste in my mouth was artificial sweetener alcohol, it was horrid. I wasnt even that low between 60-80 carbs for a few days. Horrible, I could not do that to myself on purpose, if it was a salty taste I might be tempted but not that sweet icky alcohol.

Oh and for the record, Dr Atkins died aged 72 from bleeding in the brain after slipping and hitting his head.
  • kerrie49
    kerrie49 Posts: 4
    Options
    The taste in your mouth doesn't last, it goes away after a couple of weeks. I've been back on Atkins for a week and I've got that awful taste again mine is salty and its horrible. Dr Atkins didn't die from a heart attack. Atkins is the only diet and trust me I've tried 100's that let me maintain a normal weight for years at a time the only reason I put on weight this year was because I got too relaxed about it and let too many carbs back in. Hence the weight gain. :frown: back on Atkins properly for 7 days and 2 kilo's gone. :smile:
  • myralou88
    myralou88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ketosis means it's working :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    The best taste in your mouth is meat.

Plain and simple.

Meat makes the world go round.

You're welcome OP
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ..because who can go without carbs forever? No one. We need healthy complex carbs.

No we don't. Humans didn't start eating a lot of complex carbs until we started farming around 10,000 years ago. We started growing grains (ie, selecting and planting wild grasses that had a lot of seeds on to yield more food) because they are easy to store and can be made into bulky food like bread. We didn't evolve eating grains, we evolved eating protein and fat from animals, and various other vegetables. This is one reason so many people have problems with gluten.

If you want flavour, you need to eat fats; also, our bodies are good at storing fats because we are good at using fats for fuel - stop eating complex carbs and your body starts burning your stored fat as fuel. This is how humans survived times of famine and food shortages in the past, and it still works today.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a question about starting a low carb diet (I am actually just looking for a jumpstart for a week or so).

Try carbs cycling, you won't get into ketosis that way
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options

No Dr. Atkins did not die of a heart attack. He fell on an icy sidewalk and sustained head injuries that he never recovered from. There is merit to low carb diets and it has been proven. Although I am not a proponent of Atkins it does work.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

No Dr. Atkins did not die of a heart attack. He fell on an icy sidewalk and sustained head injuries that he never recovered from. There is merit to low carb diets and it has been proven. Although I am not a proponent of Atkins it does work.

I find this hilarious
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    ..because who can go without carbs forever? No one. We need healthy complex carbs.

No we don't. Humans didn't start eating a lot of complex carbs until we started farming around 10,000 years ago. We started growing grains (ie, selecting and planting wild grasses that had a lot of seeds on to yield more food) because they are easy to store and can be made into bulky food like bread. We didn't evolve eating grains, we evolved eating protein and fat from animals, and various other vegetables. This is one reason so many people have problems with gluten.

If you want flavour, you need to eat fats; also, our bodies are good at storing fats because we are good at using fats for fuel - stop eating complex carbs and your body starts burning your stored fat as fuel. This is how humans survived times of famine and food shortages in the past, and it still works today.

Actually if you were to try going without carbs indefinitely you would die from ketosis. Der de der
  • 0gone0
    0gone0 Posts: 15
    Options

Actually if you were to try going without carbs indefinitely you would die from ketosis. Der de der

Actually you don't die from ketosis, though one who has diabetes mellitus can die of diabetic ketoacidosis. They are two very different things.

Now, back to the bad taste in your mouth from ketosis. Increasing your fat intake can help eliminate it. Personally, I drink a Tbsp. of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water 2 times a day and it alleviates the problem. It was an acquired taste and is certainly better than the other.

Best
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options

.riiiiight.
  • neednewlife
    neednewlife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet , and have tried baking with Splenda -but I get a bad taste after I eat my muffins are cookies ,that last for hours. I use Splenda in my ice tea and it taste ok - I thank that the heat from baking with it ,is why you get the BAD METALLIC TASTE after you eat a muffin are cookie - But I don't no of any other Sugar Subsititiue that I can use -
    Also I have been trying to stay below 30 carbs a day - I last 5 pounds the first week but can't seem to lose any more weight - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ???