Do you use an IUD?

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
Since this community is MOSTLY ladies...I had a question...

Do you use an IUD?

If so, what type/brand?

How is your experience?

Replies

• ToNiBeE99
    ToNiBeE99 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena. It's the 5 year IUD. I've been on this for like 6 years. I had it replaced when the 5 years was up. I love it!! But sometimes I miss my period. Lol. I know I've heard a lot of horror stories of the IUD but so far its been good to me. I also used the copper IUD which is the 10 year one. That one I didn't like. I had very heavy periods, HEAVY. Only had that for a year and changed to the mirena. Hope this helps.
  • slhamby
    slhamby Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the Mirena and I LOVE it. No periods at all anymore. I had an occasional day of spotting for the first year, and the first few months it was more frequent. It was recommended to me to make sure your doctor has had lots of experience with the insertion, but mine was extremely quick and painless. I felt like I could feel it for a few weeks, like it was "settling," but I have never felt it since. Love it!
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also have Mirena and love it. I have not had any issues and I rarely get my period. If I do, it is very light and lasts about a day. I highly recommend it!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have a Mirena, too. I've had it almost two years. The first year was pretty rough with near-constant BBB, but now I'm back to a regular schedule and they do seem to be getting shorter.

I was on Depo for years and periods went away entirely. I was hoping for the same with Mirena but no luck with that yet.
  • snmonson
    snmonson Posts: 79
    Options
    I have an IUD. I am not sure what the brand is, but it lasts for 5 years. I haven't had any negative side effects (weight gain, cramping, etc), but I did have a light period for about two months after insertion. I have had it for over a year now, and I am very glad I did. I have a light period about every three months with no cramping what so ever. I have used the patch and two different types of pills, but this one is by far the BEST. I recommend an IUD to anyone that has ever asked me :)
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I had the Mirena type (with hormones) so that I didn't have periods. After they put it in, I had what felt like VERY bad cramps the rest of the day. Then it was great for awhile. After about 2 years, I started developing ovarian cysts. My doctor seemed to think that they IUD had nothing to do with it, because they often prescribe birth control for ovarian cysts. It just didn't seem right though. I was becoming a hormonal mess. I looked up the website and DUH! One of the main side effects were ovarian cysts!
    I had it taken out.
    However, my Mom had one (just the plain kind, no hormones) and had it for yeeeeears and was fine. So, it really can vary with each person & each type. There is no real way to know until you try, it seems.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost 2 years. I opted for the 10-year one that doesn't have any hormones. I didn't want any hormones!!. I haven't had any problems with mine.. Sometimes it can be painful during sex, but only in certain positions.. All-in-all it has been a great birth control for me.. I would recommend it to anyone..
  • spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is my second time using Mirena and I love it. The only side effect I've seen is that I breakout more easily. If I wash my face twice a day it doesn't become a big problem. Otherwise, it has been great for me.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to post the negative comment, but I had a IUD put in, and I got pregnant with my son 2 years later. I was stupid though and didnt check it like I should have every month, and that one month... Ooops. I had to have it removed under ultrasound to make sure it didnt hit where the baby had attached itself to the uterine wall. But im very happy I had my son, so it worked out good. Mine was the regular 10 year copper T.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have a plain copper IUD. No hormones so no messing with your cycle and no weight gain. It lasts for 10 years and if you chose to have it removed your fertility returns imdeiately. I was told to expect heavier bleeding during my period for the first 2-3 months which I had, but since then its been back to normal, or even slightly less. I can't recommend this form of BC more highly.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had the copper IUD for five years (with very heavy bleeding) and then switched it to the Mirena. I love the Mirena. My five years is up in June and I will get another. I do still have a period but it's so light I really can't complain.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    copper 1, 10yrs and never had no probs:smile:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena type (with hormones) so that I didn't have periods. After they put it in, I had what felt like VERY bad cramps the rest of the day. Then it was great for awhile. After about 2 years, I started developing ovarian cysts. My doctor seemed to think that they IUD had nothing to do with it, because they often prescribe birth control for ovarian cysts. It just didn't seem right though. I was becoming a hormonal mess. I looked up the website and DUH! One of the main side effects were ovarian cysts!
    I had it taken out.
    However, my Mom had one (just the plain kind, no hormones) and had it for yeeeeears and was fine. So, it really can vary with each person & each type. There is no real way to know until you try, it seems.

Mine experience is similar to this experience, Im also on added hormones. However, my periods, which we were trying to stop just keep right on coming...gurr...
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I have a T-shape, ten year copper IUD...I have had it for nearly 5 years and honestly I have no problems and don't ever notice it at all..If anything it made my periods lighter and I have them for only two to three days now...

Good Luck!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena, and I love it. I haven't had a real period in over 6 years, no horrible side effects, no ridiculous weight gain. Getting it inserted can be painful, but its just crampy painful. I highly recommend the Mirena!
  • tstevens20
    tstevens20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about Mirena. I have had it for 3 years now and love it. Hardly ever get a period and when I do it is really light.
  • jacyrod
    jacyrod Posts: 13
    Options
    I've had the copper IUD for almost 2 years now and I LOVE it...I do have a heavier period now than before and some cramping during that week but since even low dose hormones make me off the wall the not to mention being moody and depressed and eating my feelings w hormone type birth control so the copper options was the best gift ever! I know a lot of friends that have the Mirena and they also love it bc it practically got rid of their periods, me personally I like having that monthly security blanket...Hope this helps!

-Jacy
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I also have the mirena and I love it!
  • jmesteban
    Options
    :bigsmile: I have the mirena. It's the 5 year IUD. And I LOVE IT! I have only had it for a year and the best part is the NO FRIEND every month! I don't have any weight gian. I should say that I have tried EVERY BC out there and I'm very sensitive to hormons, so this was my last shot. I have not had problems with this one.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirena for almost 5 years now. Insertion was a little painful, but after about an hour or so after, NOTHING! No problems AT ALL. I still have a period but it's very light. I am definately going back for a 2nd one when my time is up on this one.