Where did my energy go?

Options
Anyone have suggestions on what to do when you feel like you have no energy to workout? thats my biggest problem when it comes to exercise.

Replies

• kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    eat carbs before your workout for more energy.

Make sure you are consuming enough calories in your day as well. If you don`t eat enough, you won`t have enough energy to have good workouts.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    agreed. Open up your diary & you will get some good feedback on your diet!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Did you eat enough calories? Did you eat healthy food? Did you eat balanced nutritious food? These matters BIG time. Since your diary is closed, cannot take a glance to see what's going on really. Avoid empty calories (like soda, alcohol, candy), avoid high sodium, avoid fast food, etc.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to do it anyway. Exercise releases all those "feel good endorphins" that will give you the energy you want.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough and sleeping enough? Sometimes it's just hard to get motivated. Just think of your goals and push yourself to exercise. When you are done you will feel so much better and proud of yourself for doing it.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    Force yourself to do it anyway. Exercise releases all those "feel good endorphins" that will give you the energy you want.

agree!!
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with energy when I don't consume enough calories the day before, during TOM, when I haven't had enough water the day before and when I don't eat enough of the right foods.....what I mean about that last one is if I eat alot of processed or sugary foods the day before I don't have energy. I can be within my calorie range, but sugar zaps me. I have the most energy- and I am talking about gobbs of energy- when I get my 6 to 9 or more servings of veggies and go over my protein allotment with lean protein like baked fish, eggs, chicken breast, sirloin....If I don't get my veggies in along with the protein, I am zapped of energy....so it may be what you are eating, or it may be that you aren't consuming enough calories. I find that if I don't come close to netting 1200 calories one day, the next day I don't have energy. Also, if I am hungry before a workout, but need to work out at that time, I eat a banana and it sustains me. So, eat the right foods, eat enough calories and drink enough water....also, take a multivitamin.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I go through that when its my time of the month... I am just depleted no matter how healthy or how much I eat I am just tuckered!!! It feels like I could go to sleep at any minute!!! I push through just hang in there and push through. Start out with just kind of jumping around to wake you up and then go in for the workout.. I did that one time and I turned on my mp3 and I was ready to workout good luck!!!
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I pretend I'm going to work, then there's no choice. You have to go! It's hard. I know.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Be gentle on yourself. It's hard to force yourself to exercise when you think, "Man, I don't want to hop around and sweat for 45 minutes," or "It's too cold to go outside and walk/run for 30 minutes."

When I don't feel like exercising, or if I feel like I'm too tired, I tell myself, "I'll just do 10 minutes-- and if I still don't like it, I'll stop." Most of the time, I feel great after 10 minutes and I keep going. But it's a lot easier to convince yourself to exercise when you only make yourself accountable for that first 10 minutes, rather than a whole workout.
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I notice I have more energy the more water I drink. :drinker:

I notice I have LESS energy the more carbs and sugar I eat.:embarassed:

It's all about the food intake. What goes in to our body is truly the fuel that our body runs on. Give it what it needs and it will give us the energy WE need!
  • tommieptac
    tommieptac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i started this 1200 calorie per day diet... i started exercising more and found i had less energy than ever. my annual checkup was yesterday and i found out i was borderline anemic. i need B-12, iron, folate and vitamin C to get my hemoglobin levels up. maybe if you try some supplements you'll feel better and have more energy too. my husband and i are planning on having grilled steak and spinach salad friday night. i'm sure that will help!! if it doesn't... well... maybe we'll try that a few more times and give it plenty of chances!!
  • atomdraco
    Options
    Did you eat enough calories? Did you eat healthy food? Did you eat balanced nutritious food? These matters BIG time. Since your diary is closed, cannot take a glance to see what's going on really. Avoid empty calories (like soda, alcohol, candy), avoid high sodium, avoid fast food, etc.

I saw you opened up your diary. I'm not sure if you've logged everything you eat or not. But from what's in your diary, what I posted before stands, everything single of them. In additions:

- don't skip meal(s), eat smaller portion and eat snacks in between
    - you need to eat as close as to your net calories
    - less sugar, fill more vegi, fruit

Good luck!
  • simplyroni
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Im working on what i eat and making some changes. small ones to start with. i did open up my diary to get more feedback. again thanks for all of your suggestions
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i started this 1200 calorie per day diet... i started exercising more and found i had less energy than ever. my annual checkup was yesterday and i found out i was borderline anemic. i need B-12, iron, folate and vitamin C to get my hemoglobin levels up. maybe if you try some supplements you'll feel better and have more energy too. my husband and i are planning on having grilled steak and spinach salad friday night. i'm sure that will help!! if it doesn't... well... maybe we'll try that a few more times and give it plenty of chances!!

This happened to me as well. I got really tired when I started. I began eating healthier and cut out a ton of the red meat I was eating and found out from my doctor that I anemic. Now with iron pill, exercise, and a healthier diet, I have more energy than I have had in a long time.
  • atomdraco
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Im working on what i eat and making some changes. small ones to start with. i did open up my diary to get more feedback. again thanks for all of your suggestions

Start small is good, just keep changing and be determined and don't give up. Best wishes.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Small meals all day have done wonders for me. When I first started out I did sorta like you are doing, at least according to your diary. It's not just how many calories you eat but how often and what quality the food is. Even if you just take a big sandwich, cut it in half and eat one half now and the other in 2 hours, it will keep you metabolism revved up and keep your energy from dipping.

Water helps too, as someone above said. Lots of water and watch your soda intake (I'm bad about this myself) cause your body really doesn't like working out dehydrated.

Hope that helps a little! You can do it!
  • atomdraco
    Options
    This happened to me as well. I got really tired when I started. I began eating healthier and cut out a ton of the red meat I was eating and found out from my doctor that I anemic. Now with iron pill, exercise, and a healthier diet, I have more energy than I have had in a long time.

Absolutely the right move!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    In my opninion you need to lay off the Mountain Dew and eat more whole foods, less fast food or processed foods. I know it can be hard to break those habits but ease into it, your energy levels will go up and your body will thank you.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try this for 1 week:

Go to the grocery store and buy

Fruits: apples oragnges, banana's
    Vegetables: Broccoli, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, lettuce
    Whole wheat bread
    oatmeal
    chicken breast
    brown rice
    lean steak
    whole wheat pasta

make those items the main food you eat, include others healthy foods as you want too.
    Cut out completely the fast food, just for 1 week.
    Cut out completely the soda, just for 1 week.

Go do exercise for 4 or 5 days that week and you will feel the energy you want. Drink 8 large glasses of water per day.

Try it out for 1 week, you know you have the will power to avoid the soda and fast food for 1 week, so go a head and prove it to yourself, you can do it.

Good luck!