New Here - Testing the Waters

Options
Hi - I need to lose weight and have found that keeping a food and exercise dairy seems to help. I haven't really liked any of the other online freebies, but this one was recommended by a friend, so I thought I would try it out. I am retired, generally good health and have been walking consistently for an hour a day. I have been tracking my food intake and it seems ok until I get to the snack section. I have a sweet tooth I am having trouble controlling. I can't eat just one and if I don't eat any, I really develop cravings. I thought once I retired - no work stress - I would have an easier time, but that hasn't been the case. So I am trying out this site to see if I can learn to deal with my sweet tooth and then to lose weight.:smile:

Replies

• mrskern06
    mrskern06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Hope you like it here. I LOVE it! As a former anti-dieter and anti-calorie counter, I have to say this site has reformed me and I absolutely love it. It has helped me learn healthier living habits, eat smaller portions and exercise (I hated exercise, now I want to do at least an hour a day, if not more)!
  • tessastiltner
    Options
    Hi, I am a teacher also. Have the sweet tooth as you do and can not get rid of it. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will love this site! It has everything you need to be a better you (in terms of weight).

My advice for the sweet tooth - definately don't deprive just limit (but like you said easier said than done). You can do it! Believe in yourself and in your ability to say "No, one is enough!"

Best wishes and good luck to you!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Six small meals a day is the way to go for me, and it lessens the desire to 'snack' - another option, is don't buy them! Swap a fattening snack item for a piece of fruit or something. Maybe one evening a week treat yourself a bit!

best of luck,

Regards, David
  • liljen79
    liljen79 Posts: 20
    Options
    Welcome! I'm with you on the sweet tooth problem! I have found that if we don't buy the cookies (or if I don't make them), then it's easier to manage. However, I do like to treat myself once in awhile! Good luck!
  • danyotennis
    Options
    Hi and welcome

I have been a member for about 3 weeks and I find the site very useful and motivating. Instead of cutting completely when I have a craving, I eat something very healthy in a reasonnable amount and then I have a very little portion of whatever I crave. It seems to work for me. I hope it helps.

good luck on your quest.