HRM help please!!

Options
I'm so overwhelmed shopping for HRMs. I live in Germany, so I'd prefer to shop online. When I look on amazon, it mostly brings up HRMs that are watches. I want it to count my calories as well. I've noticed some say they have chest straps, some don't, and some say you have to touch it in order for it to give you your HR. I'm curious about the ones that don't have chest straps. If I have to touch it to get HR, how is it going to effectively give me my calories burned?? And, are the watch ones the best?? What is a good affordable one? I am so confused right now. Help please!! Thanks in advance..

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    IF THERE IS NO CHEST STRAP DO NOT GET IT YOU WILL HATE IT.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    LOL! all caps, that's awesome.

but yeah, usually if it's a true HRM then you want a chest strap. Good names are Garmin, Polar, Rebok, ahh, I think Nike has a decent one too, but never tried it. I prefer Polars (F6, FT7...etc.) as they are not overly expensive and do pretty much everything you need.
  • jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    IF THERE IS NO CHEST STRAP DO NOT GET IT YOU WILL HATE IT.

I beg to differ. I have a watch style one and it works just fine. I bought mine at Wal Mart for about $30. Like I said...it works just fine and I've had no problems with it.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Get the watch with the chest strap. I have a polar FT4 and I love it. It has a chest strap and the strap is very comfortable.
  • txsjhawk
    txsjhawk Posts: 25
    Options
    defintely get one with a chest strap. the ones that you have to touch do not monitor continuous heart rates and are not very accurate.
    Polar is one of the most popular but Timex has some that work really well too. I have a timex ironman and really like it. There are lots of diff styles/colors so you should be able to find one you like. They range a lot in price but you should be able to pick one up for less than $100 american.

Good luck
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    I just recently bought the Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch, from Amazon. It does have a chest strap though. It isn't uncomfortable at all, I forget I have it on. And my watch gives me calories burned. So far I love my HRM. It was approx $39. I don't have to press anything to get my HR. The only thing I do is when I'm ready to exercise I turn the HRM on. When I'm done, I turn it off and I have the time on it.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ms.Des...I have the watch with the chest strap...never know I have it on half the time...Its helps alot in knowing how many calories you have really burned...and not for the sake of just having extra cals to eat back!!!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4, it gives your heart-rate, and tracks the duration of exercise and calories burnt...
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Get the watch with the chest strap. I have a polar FT4 and I love it. It has a chest strap and the strap is very comfortable.

I was literally just looking at that one, thanks!! And, thanks to everyone else as well, great advice so far...
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. I got mine of of ebay for less than $80.00 (US Dollar). It is one of Polar's simpler models but does everything I need and from the research I have done, it quite accurate. Mine does have the chest strap (fits and feels just like a bra strap) and from what I have read these tend to be more convenient and accurate.

Best of luck to you. Know my HR monitor was one of the best 'fitness' purchases I have made in a long time!
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    defintely get one with a chest strap. the ones that you have to touch do not monitor continuous heart rates and are not very accurate.
    Polar is one of the most popular but Timex has some that work really well too. I have a timex ironman and really like it. There are lots of diff styles/colors so you should be able to find one you like. They range a lot in price but you should be able to pick one up for less than $100 american.

Good luck

I ordered the timex ironman as well and it said I burned 709 cal in 30 min but it aslso said that I was never in my target heart rate zone. I am looking into the polar F4, I know lots of poeple and trainers that have them and love them. I could have been doing something wrong with the timex though.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I too have the Polar FT7...I paid about $109 (no sale :ohwell: ) It has a chest strap and gives me my calories burned..which was really all I wanted anyway..The numbers are about 50-100 calories less than what MFP says, but I feel more comfortable with the number from my HRM since it's there with me and not "guesstimating"

Good luck with whatever you purchase!