Anyone got some Pierogi recipes?

Options
writtenINthestars
writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
I randomly bought some pierogies a while ago and would like to use them up...but not sure what to actually do with them. Last time we had them many years ago, we just cooked them in a homemade tomato and veggie sauce....but I don't have that on hand right now! I clearly didn't plan this well!

Replies

• wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Depending on what the filling is, I usually just sautee them in some butter and onion slices and serve with sour cream.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Boil them, let any excess water drip off, then sear them in a pan with a little olive oil. I serve mine with greek yogurt and diced sun-dried tomato and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Mmm!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I sautee in butter and garlic salt till they are browned and crispy. SO good!
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    I though you ment making them yourself...We just either bake or pan fry ours and put a lil butter n pepper on them and eat them..I have never heard of putting them in tomato sauce..yuck imho..
  • SerenaP82
    SerenaP82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a polish friend who just boils them and then adds butter and s&p. She serves them as a side with a meat and usually sauerkraut............That all I got.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    all these sound yummy
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i prefer mine the traditonal boiled method.. then instead of the traditional butter and S&P i just have them now with turkey garlic sausage sauted with low sodium saurkraut and apples.. yum!

edited to add: A great additon to this meal is a blog of greek yogurt to replace the missing sour cream *S*
  • OmelissaO
    OmelissaO Posts: 42
    Options
    I saute mine with onion and bell pepper most of the time. Sometimes I just pop them in the microwave and top with a little ranch. :smile:
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I sautee in butter and garlic salt till they are browned and crispy. SO good!

That sounds awesome!!!!
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Butter and onions is classic and frankly they are pretty low in fat and calories for the treat they provide.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My hubs likes his boiled, I like mine sauteed in butter and garlic..But we usually just boil them. :( I don't like them much from the box [bag?] though.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    WE have them all the time and we just boil them for about 7 minutes. Then drain and if you want mix a little butter/marg in so they don't stick together. Serve them with light/ff sour cream or cream gravy. For cream gravy you melt marg/butter in a skillet and add flour to make a roux. Then add milk or cream (I use 1% milk) and whisk until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Usually I serve pierogies with sausage and steamed veggies. If you have left overs, fry them in a little oil the next day.
  • writtenINthestars
    Options
    lol there was a recipe I was following when it came to the whole tomato sauce dinner and we probably haven't had it again since then because it was just a little weird for us.

Hmm....well I believe they are potato and chedder....and actually I do have some leftover chicken from last night so I can always serve them with that...and a veggie....well that works out well actually! lol I'm definately going to pan fry them up though to get em crispy..yummm
  • writtenINthestars
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    (Sorry if this is a duplicate post - seems to have disappeared.)

I usually like pirogies w/ either fried onions or applesauce. Perhaps the applesauce would be nice - you know how some people add cheddar cheese to their apple pie crusts??

Enjoy! :tongue:
  • writtenINthestars
    Options
    (Sorry if this is a duplicate post - seems to have disappeared.)

I usually like pirogies w/ either fried onions or applesauce. Perhaps the applesauce would be nice - you know how some people add cheddar cheese to their apple pie crusts??

Enjoy! :tongue:

Oohh the applesauce may just work! I grew up having chedder cheese with my apple pie...mom always told me it was a Vermont thing! lol
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I actually make them homemade every year for my family for xmas....They are actually pretty easy and I stuff them with my own ideas...that is what makes them fun :)

We've made them with cheesy potato, spinach and feta, mushroom and ground beef/turkey, sun dried tomato and potato....and sometimes pizza style with peperoni and sauce.

If you are interested in the recipe to make them homemade let me know :)
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Maybe it is a Vermont thing because I too like cheddar cheese with my warm apple pie.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I actually make them homemade every year for my family for xmas....They are actually pretty easy and I stuff them with my own ideas...that is what makes them fun :)

We've made them with cheesy potato, spinach and feta, mushroom and ground beef/turkey, sun dried tomato and potato....and sometimes pizza style with peperoni and sauce.

If you are interested in the recipe to make them homemade let me know :)

My in-laws got me a pierogi maker when I was a new bride...never did use it! :laugh:
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I spray them with olive oil and put to bake in the oven at 400C. Then flip after 10 minutes to cook the other side.