Cauliflower?

Options
kianaik
kianaik Posts: 48 Member
I bought a head of cauliflower the other day because I've seen some recipes where they've used it to replace rice, potatoes, and even made a faux pizza crust with it. What are you favorite recipes?

Replies

• LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I have mashed it like mashed potatoes and put sour cream in it with a dash of chives for flavor. I LOVE it. My husband even ate it without raising an eyebrow!:happy:
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    cauliflower rice is my FAVVVV!!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Love roasted cauliflower.. try this.. I omit the cheese and it's still delicious!
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Garlic-Cauliflower/Detail.aspx

Or mashed is also very good...
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Healthy-Living-Cheesy-Smashed-Potatoes/Detail.aspx

Love cauliflower in general so I can wait to see more suggestions!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Break it up into smaller pieces, drizzle with olive oil, a little salt and pepper and minced garlic, if you'd like and roast at 400 deg. F for about 20 to 30 minutes. It will get a little brown, but oh, so good! Its also really good stir fried. Just a drop or two of sesame oil and keep it moving until its crisp tender.
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i just discovered cauliflower rice a few days ago! it is amazinggg. use a raw head & stick it piece by piece in the food processor & then when it is in tiny pieces, put it in the steamer or if you don't have a steamer, microwave safe bowl with airtight saran wrap over it for 3 minutes (don't add water or it'll get soggy) & then add whatever seasonings you like! so far i've had it with smart balance spread & scallops & then last night with lite soy sauce & grilled chicken! <3 enjoy it!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    There is a restaurant here that does soup salads and sandwiches. They have the most amazing cauliflower soup.
  • jenellechan26
    Options
    It's amazing with one potatoe mashed (to give it the take of Mashed potatoes) and then combine it with the cauliflower add a tablespoon of light butter like brummel and brown. DELIC!!! :)
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    Don't have a recipe exactly, but to lighten up baked mac and cheese, I use half a box of ww macaroni, a bag of frozen cauliflower, and make a cheese sauce with lowfat milk (use half the milk you would normally use because the cauliflower will add liquid), sharp cheddar, swiss, and any other (mostly lowfat) cheeses you like, dry mustard and onion powder and other favorite seasonings to taste, and a beaten egg to firm it up. Mix a little sauce into the egg before adding to the rest of the sauce so the egg won't cook in chunks.

I mix all this up in a greased large shallow casserole, top with ww bread crumbs, and bake at 350 until browned and bubbly. You won't miss the extra macaroni, and the cauliflower takes on the cheese taste. (I often use some lowfat cream cheese and/or lowfat velveeta for some of the cheese). Sometimes I even add a handful or two of frozen peas. It's a really good comfort food exchange.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    It's amazing with one potatoe mashed (to give it the take of Mashed potatoes) and then combine it with the cauliflower add a tablespoon of light butter like brummel and brown. DELIC!!! :)

Oh yeah - It's great mixed with a mashed potato! Have you ever tried making Shepherds Pie and topping it with this mixed with some cheese? Yum! I had some turkey and gravy left over from the holidays and a dab of the usually forbidden mashed potatoes. Some peas and carrots, chopped turkey and gravy in the pie pan, topped with mashed cauli+potatoes mixed with some shredded cheddar. Ambrosia!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I love mock cauliflower potatoes!

One head of cauliflower
    1/4 C. half and half (you can buy the low fat/ low cal kind)
    Salt and peper to taste.
    a small scoop of light sour cream
    chives...

LOVE IT!
  • blar2f
    blar2f Posts: 1
    Options
    This recipe is for Fettuccine Alfredo with Cauliflower. It's cuts the fat and calories a TON and it's delicious!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/fettuccine-alfredo-recipe2/index.html
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I havent tried this recipe yet, but it looks so good:

http://shfau.littledynamite.co.nz/recipe/recipe.do?rec-id=1094
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the options! I can't wait to try them out. Perhaps I should have bought 3 or 4!?!?!? Naw...but eventually I will be giving each a try since I need to work more veggies into my diet.
  • freedmanjudy
    Options
    cut and wash, while still wet drizzle with olive oil and mix well. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and kosher salt and turmeric, a very tasty and healthy spice. Bake at 400 untill soft with some browning. Amazing!
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    bump
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    bump
  • stellagreg
    Options
    BUMP
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I eat it in place of spaghetti with homemade meat sauce or sometimes jar sauce! Yummy!