Soreness

Options
MrsCon40
MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
I was really disappointed that I wan't sore yesterday after my first day of strength training on Monday. I really thought I worked my upper body to the point of muscle fatigue. I worked out my lower body just has hard yesterday hoping I wasn't just kidding myself about how hard I was working.

Well, today my arms are SORE! And I am expecting that tomorrow I won't be able to walk well, either! I guess it's a one-day delay ;-)

Monday and Tuesday I did strength and cardio. Should I just do cardio today and go back to upper body tomorrow? Or should I work through this soreness?

It's good sore... It means I'm finally getting serious and know it won't last forever :-)

Replies

• Laelee
    Laelee Posts: 36
    Options
    I adore that sore feeling!

As for what to do next.. I say listen to your body. You'll know what's right once you get started.
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, keep active. Moving while sore makes that soreness ease up. Congrats!
  • aimdawson
    aimdawson Posts: 31
    Options
    Drink lots of water em.
  • suebedoo
    suebedoo Posts: 5
    Options
    stretch, stretch, stretch & stretch some more!! hold each for at least 15 - 20 seconds on cool down & it should help ease that sore feeling.
  • MrsCon40
    Options
    I am really trying to up my fluid intake and I am warming up and cooling down after - I just haven't done weights in YEARS.

Should I skip weights today and just do cardio?
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    I would be in the mood for some power yoga. Something between strength training & cardio with a great stretch for the sore muscles. If you're not into yoga, I'd do cardio with some extra core excercises.
    Congrats on the soreness!
  • suebedoo
    Options
    I am really trying to up my fluid intake and I am warming up and cooling down after - I just haven't done weights in YEARS.

ideally you should do cardio one day & weights the next - your muscles need a rest day for the exercise that you have done to work...... or if you are doing weights do a different muscle group i.e legs one day & arms the next.....
  • MrsCon40
    Options

ideally you should do cardio one day & weights the next - your muscles need a rest day for the exercise that you have done to work...... or if you are doing weights do a different muscle group i.e legs one day & arms the next.....

Monday I did cardio/uppper body. Tuesday I did cardio/lower body. Thinking I should do just cardio today, then upper/cardio tomorrow and lower/cardio the day after... Taking every third day off weights and just cycling through that schedule regardless of what day of the week it is.
  • suebedoo
    Options
    Monday I did cardio/uppper body. Tuesday I did cardio/lower body. Thinking I should do just cardio today, then upper/cardio tomorrow and lower/cardio the day after... Taking every third day off weights and just cycling through that schedule regardless of what day of the week it is.

sounds fine to me - Good luck with it!!
  • jforddesign
    jforddesign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A note on stretching. NEVER stretch cold. Always warm up for a while before stretching. This is counter to what i was taught in gym class, which was stretch before exercise. You can tear or hyperextend a muscle if you are stretching before you are warmed up. for example, on a four mile run, i'll run a quarter mile and then stretch. Stretching after your workout is just as if not more important and will help a lot with soreness.