Need more protein

Crystals422
Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
It says I should eat 122 g on days I don't work out and around 178 on the days I workout (which is almost everyday.) I usally only eat 55-75 a day. I don't want to eat eggs because I want to watch my chol. I usaully eat tuna for lunch along with almonds and chicken almost every night. Should I really try to eat 122 g of protein a day?

Replies

• gpschob
    gpschob Posts: 16
    Greek yogurt is a good option
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    I have read a bunch of posts and articles and from what I can tell, you should aim for approx 1g of protein per lb of your goal weight.... So for me, that is approx 150g protein a day! I try to eat more protein on my strength training days than my puire cardio days, so today I am on the higher side....

Its difficult for me to eat that much protein, so I have had to be a bit more creative..... but I know it is worth it!!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    If you are worried about cholesterol, eat egg whites, not the yolks. They are almost pure protein.
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    I am not sure what the right amount of protein is right for you; however, you could try protein shakes or protein bars. Some actually taste good!
  • Gold Standard
  • YES! Protein is essential for building muscle which will help you raise your metabolism.
    Try a mixture of egg whites with a whole egg to keep the cholesterol content low and the protein high. Add a protein shake to your daily diet. Make sure that there is no cholesterol in the shake. It's a little harder to find one, but is definitely worth it.

Check out my blog to look at how I am losing weight: www.weightlosstrek.blogspot.com
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    If you like eggs, and are concerned about the cholesterol, try egg beaters.
  • Crystals422
    I eat egg whites every morning. What do most of you have your percentages set to? I just changed mine to 40 % carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    I usually have a hard time eating enough for my protein intake and have to suppliment with shakes.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    I drink a protein shake called EAS Chocolate Whey. It taste great and has 23 grams per drink. I normally have 3 drinks per day, usually after I work out or right before. It comes in 2 pound tubs and cost around $28 bucks per tub. I get 69 grams of protein a day from it. Here is a link for it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Whey-Protein-Chocolate-lbs/dp/B001F1VT8A

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Eric
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm will give you some information on protein and why you need so much,
    you can find protein in beans: black beans, red beans, garbonzo beans, blackeye peas, lentils are some. there are also protein enriched pastas out now that are pretty tasty. cheese has protein or soy products. you don't just have your protein source from eggs or chicken.
  • Crystals422
    Thanks. I am going to buy some protien shakes/ whey powder tomorrow.
  • gpschob
    gpschob Posts: 16
    sardines!
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    I have read a bunch of posts and articles and from what I can tell, you should aim for approx 1g of protein per lb of your goal weight.... So for me, that is approx 150g protein a day! I try to eat more protein on my strength training days than my puire cardio days, so today I am on the higher side....

Its difficult for me to eat that much protein, so I have had to be a bit more creative..... but I know it is worth it!!!!

Its actually around 1.2g/ kg body weight!! That's a massive difference, no wonder you struggle! Too much protein can actually put strain on your kidneys so be careful x x x
  • I eat egg whites every morning. What do most of you have your percentages set to? I just changed mine to 40 % carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

40/40/20 Carbs/Protein/Fat is what I have read is the best percentage to be at if you are working out.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Protein builds lean muscle and lean muscle burns more fat!!!! I don't get enough in daily food in take so I have a protein drink in the morning and 1 at night. I also make it with Soy Lite which is less cals then fat free milk.
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    I found a Protein Shake this weekend that's pretty Good It has 23g of Protein an only 110 calories to the whole bottle. Protein Plus Vanilla Creme Shake It's good Helps me to make it all day when at work an I may not get a break. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.