Brussel Sprouts

Options
Bought brusell sprouts for the first time but no idea how to make them lol Any ideas ?! :blushing: trying to have it with baked chicken and potatos :tongue: :wink: Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i pan fry mine with a nonstick non calorie spray and i usually spray them with i can't believe its not butter spray and sprinkle a little lemon pepper on them....yummy:tongue:
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Blanche them first. Cut them in half & lay them on a cookie sheet. Spray lightly with olive oil. Season if you like. bake for 15 - 20 minutes on 350. Delicious!
  • mamacath
    mamacath Posts: 51
    Options
    I like to steam mine ... and add spray butter and a little seasoning LOVE Brussel sprouts
  • DuKristin
    DuKristin Posts: 10
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts!!! I usually steam them and top with a little spray butter (o cals) or for a nuttier flavor I like to roast them! To roast, drizzle with a little oil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese if you want a little extra tastiness or enjoy them without the cheese. Either way they are delicious and nutritious! :)
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Since you're already using the oven to bake chicken, you can try sauteing them in a little tiny bit of olive oil. Cut off the ends and peel off outer leaves and then I like to cut them in half vertically so they cook quicker. If they aren't getting soft fast enough, you can also add in a little bit of water and cover so they will simultaneously steam a little bit. For seasoning, I usually use salt and pepper and maybe Tony Chachere's or you can try adding some balsamic vinegar. YUM!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I love them boiled with a little bit of butter. If they're raw, cut off the stem ends and peel off the outer couple of leaves first. You can cut them in half to cook faster. I've had them baked before, and that works really well, too. I love brussel sprouts. :-)
  • Kell44
    Kell44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I cored them, broke the leaves apart, sauteed them with a little olive oil and onion. Crumbled a piece of bacon on top! Salt and pepper = Tasty good.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Try this: chop off the stem part and remove the outer leaves, then slice them lenght-wise and roast them with a sprimkle of canola oil. When they come out, sprinkle them generously with parmesan cheese.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    just plain boiled:smile:
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    These will BLOW your mind...if you thought you hated sprouts, these will make you a lover.

Maple- Mustard Brussels Sprouts

http://www.whatwouldcathyeat.com/2010/11/healthy-thanksgiving-series-vegetables/

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mustard Glaze

2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed

1½ tablespoons lemon juice

1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard (use a gluten free mustard if you prefer)

1½ tablespoons coarse-ground mustard (use a gluten free mustard if you prefer)

1½ tablespoons maple syrup

3 tablespoons olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 400.

In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, mustards and maple syrup, and add salt and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir to coat. Remove with a spoon and place on a large baking sheet, reserving extra sauce from the bottom of the bowl. Roast until very dark and just tender, about 40 minutes. Toss with remaining sauce and serve hot or at room temperature.

Serves 6
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    GET SOME STEAM BAGS AND STEAM EM! I can eat Brussels Sprouts alone...A simple yet filling and low calorie dish may be, 3 oz chicken, 1/2 c of brown rice and 1 c. Brussels spouts...That's a LOT of food for a LOW amount of calories!
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    WOW! Thank you all for the responces!!! :happy: Sounds yummy!!! :wink: :flowerforyou: Will be trying all dif ways! :wink:
  • silverlotus
    silverlotus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually just saute them in a little bit of olive oil or spray oil and lots of garlic. I've never tried roasting them as someone else suggested. Might try that next time!