Recalibrated my heart rate zones. Need help and motivation

Options
On January 3rd of this year I started the Weight Loss Boot Camp at my local Lifetime Fitness. The program runs 3 days a week (M, W & F) for an hour each morning and I met with a trainer to get my workouts set for the off days (Tuesday & Thursday).

The boot camp focuses on being in the proper heart rate zone to maximize fat burning. Along with that I made some significant changes to my lifestyle (translation, I stopped eating crap and started focusing on eating healthy).

When the Boot Camp began I set a goal to lose 30lbs and gave myself 6 months to hit that goal because I didn't want to be too aggressive and burn out. As of yesterday morning, I am down 23 pounds so far, which is great since I am only a little bit over 2 months into the program.

At the beginning of the program I get a cardio assessment to establish my heart rate zones. They were as follows:

Zone 1: 119 - 128
Zone 2: 129 - 149
Zone 3: 150 - 171
Zone 4: 172 - 181 (threshold is 172)
Zone 5: 182 - 192

About 2 weeks ago I did a re-evaluation of my cardio because I knew that I had gotten myself in way better shape and the workouts were actually starting to get a little too easy. My new zones are:

Zone 1: 150 - 159
Zone 2: 160 - 170
Zone 3: 171 - 181 (threshold is 181)
Zone 4: 182 - 191
Zone 5: 192 - 202

Since the re-assessment I have been really struggling with my workouts. This morning was an off day and my workout was called Base Builder 2. I was supposed to spend 2 minutes in Zone 1, 2 minutes in Zone 2 and then 1 minute in Zone 3 and then repeat. I had planned on doing this for an hour workout. After I went through the cycle twice I was really struggling. Getting into Zone 2 is pretty challenging and to get into my new Zone 3 is brutally difficult.

I remember when I started the program in January that I was struggling with these workouts, but now I feel like I am starting all over again.

So frustrating that I just need to vent a little bit. Has anyone else worked out with these types of Zones? Did you find it really challenging when the zones would get re-calibrated?

Thanks for listening! :)

Adam

Replies

• tifanieb
    tifanieb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The point of the recalibration is because as your body changes and adapts it gets used to doing things so you need to change it up to get a challange so you can continue to lose weight. This is why many ppl give up. They stop losing so much weight and get board so you give up when it gets tough again.

I also have gone through this and am now struggling to get myself to do things i need to do so i can up my heartrate higher and be where i need to to lose more weight and inches.

good luck to you
    hope this helps
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Hi Adam,

I'm not doing the type of training you are doing, but I am on a progressive strength training programme and all I can say is, stick with it, give it your best shot and you will progress.

Example - I was supposed to lift 17.5k dumbells on a bent over row. 3 sets of 10 reps. When I started about 4 weeks ago I had to lift one dumbell with both hands just to get it off the rack! I only managed 8 reps and I wasn't doing them very well. I was disheartened but my trainer explained that this was well within my range as he had already measured my maximum strength capacity.

I stuck at it and last week I managed all 3 sets of 10 reps. It still hurt, but I did it so this week I'm pushing up to the next level. When I've completed all the levels, my trainer will re-assess my maximum strength, my goal being to be able to lift my own body weight and then some.

BTW, I'm 5ft 2inches and currently weigh 68k, so I'm not that big, but I know that I'm getting a lot stronger.

You will do it, and if you can't do it all now, just do what you can and try to do a little bit more each time.

Good luck

Laura
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor to help me exercise in the correct zones to help in losing weight, but the problem I find is figuring out my MHR. There seem to be so many formulas out there and women's numbers are different than men's. IHow did you find your MHR without going to a cardiologist for a stress test?
  • adamthaler
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor to help me exercise in the correct zones to help in losing weight, but the problem I find is figuring out my MHR. There seem to be so many formulas out there and women's numbers are different than men's. IHow did you find your MHR without going to a cardiologist for a stress test?

My gym offers the cardio evaluation for around $80 (I think), but you also have to purchase the mask. Luckily, the mask is mine to keep and I use it over again when I get re-tested. The test takes about 20 - 30 minutes, depending on your current condition, and then we spent about another 20 minutes going over the results.

I would highly recommend the test to get your zones because formulas are just too generic.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. I am definitely going to stick with it no matter how much it sucks right now :)
  • adamthaler
    Options
    Well, the new zones are still a little tough, but I have definitely noticed that they are not as difficult as they were right after they were adjusted. Also, I switched my off days from the eliptical to the stairmaster. It was just too tough to get my heart rate up into zone 3 on the eliptical even with the resistance dialed way up.