Eating Out Healthy Suggestions

Options
I have to travel a lot and instead of packing a fridge to go with me, I am forced to eat out.

Here are a few places and things I have found that fall into my diet:

Lunch: Subway 6" turkey, all veggies, red wine vinegar, flat bread, 310 calories

Dinner: Outback Steakhouse Ahi Tuna App, side cesar salad, 589 calories

Dinner: Logan's Roadhouse 6oz Filet, Health Nut side salad, steamed green beans, 550 calories

Any other suggestions to keep lunch at or around 300 and dinner around 550?

Replies

• DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    Olive Garden, Panera bread, Apple Bees all have lower calorie dishes. If we are planning on eating out I also do an online search of the low calorie dishes on the menu. Many are available on line so you can pre plane. Really helps to stay on track and also enjoy a night out.
    Good Luck
  • knothead76
    Options
    Applebees has a pretty decent 550 and under menu....same with Carlos O'Kelly's. I think pretty much any of the chain sit down restaurants will have a light menu, the biggest thing is to stay away from buffets, fast food, fried foods, etc.
  • LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Zoup! has some pretty awesome soups, salads and sandwhiches...went there for lunch today. around 250 calories...Ohh its so good!
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like Taco Bells Fresco menu which saves a lot of fat and cals. Also the salads are pretty good from McDonalds but you have to be careful of the dressings...
  • joeclanton
    Options
    Thanks to those that posted. Anyone else out there have any healthy solutions for eating out while I travel?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just posted on the same topic this morning on a different thread. I generally don't like chain restaurants so it makes it doubly difficult to eat on the road without knowing exact calories. Check out this thread for more ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/197276-eating-well-on-the-road
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Going anywhere that you have some control over what goes in to your meal will help - unfortunately that leaves places like Subway and if they're where you are, Pita Pit (they have a nice "build" module: http://www.pitapitusa.com/build_a_pita.html).
  • JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also travel quite a bit for work. I know there are buisness obligations for dinner most of the time, but if there is one near by, I'll go to a Safeway or Von's or what ever grocery store might be near me. I'll get something like a sandwich or "smart ones" frozen lunches. That way I can eat healthier and cheaper for lunch and don't feel so guilty about going out for dinner.
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have to travel a lot and instead of packing a fridge to go with me, I am forced to eat out.

Here are a few places and things I have found that fall into my diet:

Lunch: Subway 6" turkey, all veggies, red wine vinegar, flat bread, 310 calories

Dinner: Outback Steakhouse Ahi Tuna App, side cesar salad, 589 calories

Dinner: Logan's Roadhouse 6oz Filet, Health Nut side salad, steamed green beans, 550 calories

Any other suggestions to keep lunch at or around 300 and dinner around 550?

I work at outback steakhouse and they have light style dishes all under 500 calories. The tuna is a great choice but try to stay away from the Caesar salad. It taste great, but since all the dressing are made from scratch, we use whole ingredients like whole buttermilk, cheese, sour cream etc..
  • bacanbit
    bacanbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this weekend that Ruby Tuesdays also has some pretty nice lower calorie options. I had the Grilled Salmon W/ White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and Fresh Grilled Zucchini – 459 calories! It was delicious!!
  • drohde12
    drohde12 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sweet Tomatoes (Souplantation in some areas) is a buffet-style restaurant with a HUGE salad bar and delicious home made soups. The only downside is the bread and pasta stations but while they have a lot of calories they are fresh and relatively healthy. When I go I try to fill up on soup and salad first and then have small portions of the pasta and muffins.

The menu changes at least weekly, so you will never get bored.

http://www.sweettomatoes.com/
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Doing an online search is the best thing. Beyond the menu, they will often have a nutritional breakdown. That's the better source.

For instance, at applebees there are a few items that are not on the under 550 menu that have FEWER calories than the stuff that does. Like the steak and potato salad. Tastes awesome and it's the lowest calorie, healthiest thing on the menu.

Oddly, most of the items on their salad menu (which the unenlightened would gravitate towards) are the HIGHEST calorie and HIGHESt fat items on their menu.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I can't help with specific restaurants, but I have strategies for eating out:
    - try to order something with only a few ingredients - then you have a better idea of what you are actually eating and can spot added cheese or cream etc. Like a steak, grilled with sauce on the side. Grilled fish or chicken breast rather than a pasta dish or risotto.
    - change the sides. Tell them "no fries" and get salad or veges with dressing/sauce on the side. Or get a baked pototo instead of fries and just eat half of it.
    - if they have an smaller sized serving, order that (in Australia I would say order an entree size not a main size, but that might be confusing!)
    - salads aren't all bad (not around here anyway). Just order the dressing on the side and keep an eye on the extras they put in the sald (like bacon or cheese). Just because it is there, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

And for other meals while you are on the road:
    - Take your own muesli (granola) and buy some yoghurt and bananas at a convenience store. Quick, easy and healthy breakfast
    - Take healthy snacks (muesli bars, fruit, almonds) so you have an option to snack on if you are hungry and you can resist the vending machine snacks!
  • joeclanton
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!! Definitely getting some good ideas here. I'd respond with quotes, but I'm not a forum guru!

Typically, when I travel, I take advantage of the fact that my business pays for my meals. Unfortunately, they will not reimburse me for meals that I purchase from a grocery store. I'm sending an email as we speak to attempt to change that philosophy.

I too try and review nutritional info from the restaurants around town when I travel and attempt to make the best choices. And I definitely appreciate the strategies and ideas that are listed here in this thread.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Chick Fil A has a meal builder on their website; the best thing to get there is the 8-piece nuggets with honey barbecue sauce, fruit, and a bottle of water. I forget how many calories, but it's not bad.

If you travel in the south, there are LOTS of barbecue restaurants. I find that the best thing for me at a barbecue restaurant is 1/4 chicken, dark meat (more calories per ounce, but WAY fewer ounces than the 1/4 chicken white meat), with one side (whatever you get, the common sides -- slaw, potato salad, baked beans -- run about 200 cal/serving) comes out about 500 calories, leaving you 50 calories for a splash of red bbq sauce (about 40-70 cal/2 tbsp, depending on the brand). White bbq sauce, sadly, is a bad bad bad idea :sad:

At Cracker Barrel, I usually get the chicken salad sandwich on grilled sourdough bread with one side (green beans, carrots, something like that -- the salad dressings make the salads a bust). I don't know the calorie count with any certainty, I just know that THAT meal doesn't show up on my scale the next morning, while many of their others do.

At Five Guys Burgers and Fries, the little hamburger by itself is reasonable, and you can get veggie toppings (no cheese, no bacon, no mayo). Unfortunately their ONLY side item is french fries, so all I can get is the burger. But it's such a GOOD burger!

I love Panera, Jason's Deli, Sweet Peppers Deli, and McAllister's Deli - all of these have "lighter" menus with calories posted, so at all of these places there are CHOICES! Wow.

Love seeing all the suggestions here.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Arby's has a Jr Turkey Ranch sandwich for 220 calories.

O'Charleys Bruschetta Chicken or Mushroom Bleu Cheese Sirloin are around 550 calories w/ low cal side items, like steamed broccoli.

Cracker Barrel: Spicy Grilled Catfish is 270 calories, along with green beans & carrots as a side will keep you under 500 calories for dinner.

Taco Bell - Fresco Steak Burrito Supreme - 340 calories; Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos have 150 calories each

Panera Bread has a really neat nutrition calculator I like to use to make my meal decisions, too, http://www.paneranutrition.com/