Lacking Motivation, need help!

Options
So for the last two weeks, I have been lacking motivation to get my workouts done. I've been too physically and mentally exhausted to do much of anything and it's bothering me. I have still been doing some exercise but not nearly as much and when I do, I feel I don't get anything accomplished. I'm struggling and it's getting frustrating.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how I can get myself motivated and get my butt in gear?
i thank you and appreciate your help!!!

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've got a lot of motivation. I don't have a work out buddy so I sort of have to. Of course there are days when my energy is really low for different reasons and the last thing I want to do is two work outs. I usually fuel up and just hop on the bike or press play. I also remember why I started really working out to begin with, that helps as well. Also, not sure about you, but I usually feel absolutely fantastic after a good sweat or weight session. Such as today. It's been rainy and just dreary where I live and I haven't gotten much sleep all week. Energy was low and I didn't really want to work out but I got some good carbs and went to knock out Total Body Plus. Ended up feeling like a beast after doing all unassisted chin/pull ups =]
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    When my motivation is close to zero, I try to find someone to workout with. At least saying, "hey, I have to go to the gym, wanna come?" makes me plan to actually go, whether or not a friend joins me, lol. I think motivation is very much about being able to trick yourself into it.
    Good luck!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    workout buddies are great, but you need to remember that you will gain MORE energy from moving! I have never felt worse than when I have sat on the couch doing nothing. You feel lethargic, unenthusiastic and revolting.

Start with a walk!! Keep it simple! I challenge myself on MFP. Broadcast to your friends what you intend to do, and make sure you surround yourself with friends who remember what you said and get on your case about it!!

If you have a friend who is constantly walking, running or being active try and keep up with them! Send them personal messages so they can talk directly to you and work off their energy. Soon you will be competing amongst your group of friends and you will never feel better :)

Happy to have you on board if you want to be challenged ;)
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Try the "Five Minute Rule." Tell yourself that you'll go to the gym or start your workout and if you want to quit after five minutes, you can. (trust me....you won't!) Works like a charm - best of luck!!
  • brandi16
    brandi16 Posts: 56
    Options
    I, too, have to find the motivation to workout since I am doing this 'alone.' I have a huge support system in my husband and he knows how badly I want this...so on those days where I don't want to do it, I call him at work and he gets me there. I figure once I am there, I might as well do SOMETHING! I found that not relying on others was better for me...originally, I thought I always had to have someone there...until they couldn't make it and I, in turn, wouldn't go either. So I found something that worked for me, that I 'enjoyed' and went with it, on my own.

But on those really tough days where the pep talk doesn't work...I go back to what I love. I have played soccer my entire life and its a great workout...so I call some friends, go with my kids to the park or go at it alone...but it gets me out there and moving. Also, don't look at it as being nonproductive...even though you don't want to be there, you ARE there and you are doing something. Before you know it, the lack of motivation will be gone and you will be proud of yourself for going on those days when you really didn't want to.

Good luck!
  • gorefan82
    gorefan82 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    These are some awesome suggestions!! I appreciate each comment! I ended up forcing myself to go on a walk this evening and I'm glad I did!