Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

c25k question

So I just started the couch to 5k program. I am doing it on the treadmil. The app I downloaded doesn't have any speeds. If I walk at 3.5 and jog at 4.5 is that fast enough, or should I increase my speed? I do w1 d2 tomorrow! Thanks in advanced Jen!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    The program is designed to ease you into running so that you don't hate it or injure yourself. So the speed is not that important--moving for the entire time allotted is what's important.

Ultimately, you want to feel challenged, but not like that workout was about to kill you or that you're nasueated. You just want to feel like it was a challenge.

So if you finished the program today and felt like you could have done the whole thing again, speed things up a little bit. If you finished it and felt like you could have maybe done one more 'run' interval, you were working at the right intensity for you at this time.

Does that make sense?
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    I will be interested in seeing the responses...I just completed W2/D3 tonight...Friday is W3/D1

BUT.... I only walk at 3.0 and jog at 4.5...except for the 5 min at the beginning and end...those are at 3.2
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    I wouldn't push yourself too hard at first because you will end up giving up. So if you feel like you're getting a good burn, then stick with what's comfortable... for now anyways!
  • I just started yesterday, too! I walk at 3.3 and run at 5.5, but I am sore as can be today. I would just say, jog at a speed where you can finish the whole thing. Then maybe bump it up 0.1 or 0.2 mph each day? You probably won't notice an increase of 0.1 or 0.2 if you do it from the get-go, and before you know it you'll be jogging much faster :)

I wouldn't stress too much about how fast you're running/walking. I think the goal (or, I should say, my goal) is to be able to jog for 30 minutes without stopping -- at any speed. I'm not too worried about how long it takes me to finish the 5K i plan to run in April, I just want to jog the whole thing for now. Once I'm able to jog for 30 minutes without stopping, then I'll work on speed. That's my plan -- not sure what the "experts" would say! :)

Good luck! And stick with it. The apps are a great help, aren't they? I discovered one today and I LOVE it!!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    I just started this week too! I do w1d2 tomorrow.

Not doing it on a treadmill but happy to see someone is on my same schedule!
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    I just started this program - I did week 1 twice, and now into week 2... I walk between 3.3 and 3.5 and i try to keep upping my run speed 4.5 to 4.8 to 5.0 depending on how I'm feeling and what not.. I haven't made it over 5.0 yet though, I figure I'll work on speed later, for now I'm just trying not to fall off the treadmill! :wink:
  • Atlantique
    For those who want to eventually get faster:

Honestly, for a very long time, you'll get faster simply by running more. For at least 6 or 8 months, the speed just comes as you build more aerobic capacity, strengthen the muscles used while running and improve your form (and maybe lose some weight, as it takes less energy to move less weight). One you're up to running for 30 minutes, just try to increase the distance by 10% per week and you WILL get faster.

And, for that first 8 months, you're still building the muscle and bone density needed to protect your body from the shock of running. You really don't need to start doing speed work or anything but slowly and safely increasing your time/distance by 10% a week. :bigsmile: That WILL make you faster! And it should keep you from injury, too.
  • For those who want to eventually get faster:

Honestly, for a very long time, you'll get faster simply by running more. For at least 6 or 8 months, the speed just comes as you build more aerobic capacity, strengthen the muscles used while running and improve your form (and maybe lose some weight, as it takes less energy to move less weight). One you're up to running for 30 minutes, just try to increase the distance by 10% per week and you WILL get faster.

And, for that first 8 months, you're still building the muscle and bone density needed to protect your body from the shock of running. You really don't need to start doing speed work or anything but slowly and safely increasing your time/distance by 10% a week. :bigsmile: That WILL make you faster! And it should keep you from injury, too.

Thanks, Atlantique. I tend to push it a little hard, and wind up being so sore that I quit running. Maybe I just need to scale it back and be patient.... Not easy for me!! :)
  • Atlantique
    Thanks, Atlantique. I tend to push it a little hard, and wind up being so sore that I quit running. Maybe I just need to scale it back and be patient.... Not easy for me!! :)

Once you can go for a half hour at a time, start switching it up. Make one run a run at your normal pace, where you're pushing a little bit. Next day off. One run for the week is a longer run. Next day off. One day is a 'fun run' where you don't even think about pacing.

There are ways to mix it up, so you still have some new challenges, without doing too much, too fast. :wink:
  • buhller
    buhller Posts: 28 Member
    I did the c25k last year, and had the same question. I don't know where I found it, but somewhere on Cool Runnings their answer was basically this: if it feels like running, it's running. It really is that simple.

Don't feel pressured to go fast at all -- I made that mistake, both in speed and overall weekly mileage departments, and developed some tendinitis that took months to heal properly.
  • Technically to be able to do a 5K in 30 minutes, you would have to run at 6.0...but I agree with everyone else that you should run at a speed that is comfortable for you. I run at 5.0 and walk at 3.0 so I can get my HR down in between. I just did W5-D1 today and got through it on 5.0, so I'm going to try and keep that up through the end. Once I can run for 30 minutes at 5.0 I am going to up my speed slowly until I can do it on 6.0. Then I plan to do some training outside and run an actual 5K race in May! I think it's most important that we listen to our bodies and don't overdo it because I did that when I first started running without the C25K and hurt myself and had to take a break for 6 weeks. Then I started the C25K to take things more slowly and listen to my body so I don't get hurt again. Congrats on starting the program...I LOVE it! I feel so proud every time I finish a week. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Once you can go for a half hour at a time, start switching it up. Make one run a run at your normal pace, where you're pushing a little bit. Next day off. One run for the week is a longer run. Next day off. One day is a 'fun run' where you don't even think about pacing.

That's what I did. I started at running at 5mph, and now comfortably jog at 5.5 and 6 mph. Sometimes a little faster for a few minutes at a time.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I'm in week 2 (i'll probably have to repeat it after I get over this virus) and one of the days I tried running faster. Man did it hammer me! I won't be doing that for while! The first 90 seconds was ok but the next 4 intervals were just painful. I nearly gave up!
  • adholcomb
    adholcomb Posts: 33 Member

That's what I did. I started at running at 5mph, and now comfortably jog at 5.5 and 6 mph. Sometimes a little faster for a few minutes at a time.

I am doing exactly the same. I am on week 3 day 2.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    I am in week 6. I walk at 3.7 and run at 6.5 with some 7.5 to 8 bursts. In the thirty minutes I am short of the 5k by very little. I would not worry about the speed at all. Just follow the instructions. When you get into week 6 each day is different so the instructions are confusing. I think by the time I finish I will be doing the 5K or a bit more in the thirty minutes. He tells you over and over not to overdue it so take your time in it and don't worry about how far you go.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    I just started this week too! I do w1d2 tomorrow.

Not doing it on a treadmill but happy to see someone is on my same schedule!
    I do it on tues thurs and sat. Its way to cold outside to go outside yet. My goal is in spring to take my huskey outside and be able to jog with him for 30 minutes!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    I'm glad you asked...now I think I'm going too fast (for me). I did Week 1, Day 2 today and went 4 for walking and 6 for running. I was BEAT! I'm going to try slowing it down a bit. Like you, I just didn't know...
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Technically to be able to do a 5K in 30 minutes, you would have to run at 6.0...but I agree with everyone else that you should run at a speed that is comfortable for you. I run at 5.0 and walk at 3.0 so I can get my HR down in between. I just did W5-D1 today and got through it on 5.0, so I'm going to try and keep that up through the end. Once I can run for 30 minutes at 5.0 I am going to up my speed slowly until I can do it on 6.0. Then I plan to do some training outside and run an actual 5K race in May! I think it's most important that we listen to our bodies and don't overdo it because I did that when I first started running without the C25K and hurt myself and had to take a break for 6 weeks. Then I started the C25K to take things more slowly and listen to my body so I don't get hurt again. Congrats on starting the program...I LOVE it! I feel so proud every time I finish a week. :)
    that is what I was thinking. I need to run at 6.0 to make a 5k in a 30 minutes. I'm going to keep at my pace because the last intervals were tough. Thank you everyone fot the input. At least I know I am doing it correctly.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Technically to be able to do a 5K in 30 minutes, you would have to run at 6.0...but I agree with everyone else that you should run at a speed that is comfortable for you.
    that is what I was thinking. I need to run at 6.0 to make a 5k in a 30 minutes. I'm going to keep at my pace because the last intervals were tough. Thank you everyone fot the input. At least I know I am doing it correctly.

Strictly speaking, the C25K program is geared to getting you to the point where you can run a 5K *OR* 30 minutes. Although the goal of running 3 ten-minute miles is admirable, it isn't (technically speaking) the goal of the program. If you look at the program description on coolrunning.com, each of the intervals gives goals that look like "jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes)".

So, as folks here are saying, what's important is to be able to jog without hurting yourself or turning yourself off to the exercise. If you're able to do that at 6MPH, that's great. If you feel like 4.5 or 5MPH is more your pace, then by all means, do that -- and don't think that you're doing C25K incorrectly if you're keeping a slower pace!
  • Atlantique
    Technically to be able to do a 5K in 30 minutes, you would have to run at 6.0...but I agree with everyone else that you should run at a speed that is comfortable for you.

Strictly speaking, the C25K program is geared to getting you to the point where you can run a 5K *OR* 30 minutes. Although the goal of running 3 ten-minute miles is admirable, it isn't (technically speaking) the goal of the program. If you look at the program description on coolrunning.com, each of the intervals gives goals that look like "jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes)".

So, as folks here are saying, what's important is to be able to jog without hurting yourself or turning yourself off to the exercise. If you're able to do that at 6MPH, that's great. If you feel like 4.5 or 5MPH is more your pace, then by all means, do that -- and don't think that you're doing C25K incorrectly if you're keeping a slower pace!

Totally in agreement!