My Vitamin D number is 15..is this normal?

Options
I had bloodwork done last week and my Vitamin D number is 15. I'm wondering if this is why i can't drop weight as quickly as I usually do. Does anyone know what a good vitamin D number range is? and if vitamin D affects weight loss for a middle aged person.

Replies

• randibiernot
    Options
    I have low Vit D too. Can't remember my # though. Be interested in what people say.
  • armingone
    armingone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did a little research and what I found is that it should be between 30 and 50. I don't know what it does to weight but I know it affects a lot of conditions (like MS). I also found out that it's nearly impossible to overdose on Vitamin D so you may just want to start taking a supplement. I hope that helps.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    it should be above 50 ng/ml !!!! So you are indeed deficient. And yes, this could be why you are having trouble losing weight, because your body may think it is in starvation mode. What other tests came back out of normal range? You can inbox me if you like.
  • tiffany2347
    Options
    My Vitamin D levels were at 18 and my doctor put me on a prescription of 20,000mg a day for 30 days because they are supposed to be MUCH higher. I don't remember what the number is supposed to be, but 15 is definitely too low. A prescription was needed because you can't get that dosage over the counter. It will affect weightloss because your metabolism is slow because your body is trying to conserve energy, due to the low Vit D levels. Hope this helps.
  • sandradickie
    sandradickie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just received my results today and mine is 9!! Not good at all. It should be 32 and above. I am also curious to hear other responses.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Normal is 30 and ideally is 60.
    You should get a bit of sunshine (vitamin d levels are always lower in the winter because people do not get alot of direct sunlight with exposed skin.
    For most healthy people, supplement of 5000 IU daily will supplement their vitamin d level enough.

Vitamin d deficiency is not associated with helping or hindering weight loss, but it associated with muscle aches (myalgias) and poor bone health.

I hope this helps!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my Vitamin D level this past year. At one time I was on 50,000 IU Vitamin D.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you choose to take a supplement... be aware that it does have a toxicity level. Watch you steer clear f it.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take Vitamin D3.
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, that depends. This number should have a unit to accompany it. Serum vitamin D levels are typically measured 2 ways- as ng/mL or as mmol/L. I think optimum vitamin D levels should be around 50ng/mL or 120mmol/L, but this can also vary as the council to determine DRIs meets continually and adjusts values for all nutrients based on the newest research. Vitamin D is currently one of the newest and most popular areas of research, but still an area where scientists are trying to establish criteria for which to set vitamin D levels. I guess you are low regardless of the unit. Alot of people are low, especially if you live in the northern part of the country. People are physically unable to produce vitamin D from sunlight when they live above a certain latitude. I would just take a vitamin D supplement or multivitamin containing vitamin D or try to drink more milk or eat vitamin D fortified foods if you are concerned.

I don't really know the link between vitamin D and weight loss, but I assume if it did have an effect, it would be small compared to diet/exercise effects. Hope this is helpful!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Depends on what the "normal range" is at that particular lab. I have Kaiser here in California and the normal range is between 30 and 100. My last labs said mine was 39. Don't go by what mine are, cause I'm a gastric bypass patient and have to pound vitamins, daily. (and have for the past 6 and a half years, cause of my malabsorbtion)
    So look at your lab results printed out and the lab should have on there what their "normal range" says, as compared to what your number came back as. As for me personally, I take an extra 2000mg of Vitamin D daily, in addition to what is in my calcium citrate. Vitamin D levels are hard to keep up there, or at least it is for me. Lots of people are deficient, so kudos to you for having your checked!
    Edited to add: I take vitamin D-3 in a dry form. Anything based in an oil form, I don't absorb.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I decided to get on a supplement as well. I went with a liquid form (25k) that I found at the drug store. When I get to work, I fill up my big jug of water for the day and squirt my vitamins in there. Be careful though...you might not want to start out pounding 25k or 50k worth of vitamin D. Especially on an empty stomach. The first day, I took 5k, then increased it every couple days until I got used to it. Now I can take 25k, no sweat. But in the beginning it made me feel woozy.

Good luck!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Dr. Mine was 8 when I had blood work and she said that was the lowest she ever saw it. I am now taking a script for 50,000 u once a week for 6 months and then go back to get it checked
  • supico1
    supico1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the Vitamin D info. When I went to the Dr this week she said it was actually 4 which is non existent...she gave me an RX for 50,000 mg to take once a week! That seems like too much. I wonder if there are any side effects for Vit D, some people have told me they got sick (upset stomach, constipation) from taking vitamin D...anyone else get sick?
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the Vitamin D info. When I went to the Dr this week she said it was actually 4 which is non existent...she gave me an RX for 50,000 mg to take once a week! That seems like too much. I wonder if there are any side effects for Vit D, some people have told me they got sick (upset stomach, constipation) from taking vitamin D...anyone else get sick?

No worries. She is just trying to get your Vit D levels up. She won't keep it that high forever. She will probably retest quite often to see how fast they are rising. Doc's do this with a lot of gastric bypass patients, because of our malabsorbtion. If you get retested and they aren't going up very fast, ask your doc about getting Vitamin D in a DRY form, in a capsule. Some people don't absorb anything in oil gel cap very well. I know I don't. Hope this helps!
    ETA: Don't worry about the high dosage, cause like I said it's practically non-existant in your body. We retain Vit.D in our bodies, but you don't have any, so she's trying to up your numbers really fast. Just stay on top of getting repeat lab tests to check your levels. She will know what to do. Like I said no worries! :bigsmile:
  • kws5551
    Options
    Be careful taking 50,000mg vit d.....my numbers last year were 15, so Dr. put me on priscription 50,000mg once a week, and within 24 hours of taking the first one, got the worst headache I had ever experienced, that lasted for two days. Call the Dr., who immediately told me to stop taking the prescription because it was a sign of toxicity. Now I've started at 6,000mg and slowly started working my way up, with no side effects. Am now up to 20,000/day and will take a blood test in feb to see where my numbers are.
  • CountryStrongNicole
    Options
    Just wanted to add a little note in here about Vit D levels... if you are taking any kind of acid reflux medicine try to take any calcium and Vit D supplements at opposite times of the day. The acid reflux meds can hinder the absortion. This is what happened to me... and had to switch it up... much better results. I too had a test result of 1. And my doctors were flipping back and forth with my having lupus or fibromyalgia.... what a world of difference now that my levels are above again.
    Other things we don't realize that stop us from naturally producing vit d from sun exposure is all the sunscreens that we now use in our daily products. Which mind you is needed to help fight getting cancer but vit d defiency is the common result.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    You are probably low - just about everyone in the general population is low, if i tested mine right now hell it would probably be low, probably 95% of people on this forum are low.

when its prescribed we do a 8 week loading course of 50000 units once a week for 8 weeks - you can then do 2000 units daily after that. If you are really concerned you can just start supplementing it now with OTC dosages, that being said unless you do loading doses it will take probably the better part of a year to normalize, hope that helps - I didnt read any of the other responses so i dunno if this was repeated
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Under 20 is deficient, under 30 is insufficient. 30-100 is normal (mine is low too).