1200 Calories a Day?

Options
I am having a hard time eating a full 1200 calories a day. When I first started tracking my calories I was eating close to 1200 calories a day, but it wasn't healthy food. I'm not starving myself or anything, actually I feel like all I do is eat, I have been eating 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. I have been doing low carbs and high protein and haven't even gotten to 1,000 calories a day. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    Nope! haha but maybe eat higher calorie meals and replace your snacks with some sort of nuts!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm getting there. It's hard to eat my excercise calories back sometimes but i make an effort to eat every 2-3 hours. Even if it's just an apple and some nuts
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat 1400-1500 calories, but there are times when time gets the better of me and it's then that I use Powerbars to boost my numbers so that they aren't so low. It may not work for you, but it might be something you can add into your diet every once in a while to see how it works for you.
  • godsgiftjcp
    Options
    I dont always get to 1200 calories. As long as your not feeling hungry, you should be okay....Also as long as your not feeling tired all the time because that means your metabolism is slowing down
  • jengilliam04
    Options
    im curious what you are eating at 3 meals a day and 2 snacks and not getting to 1200 calories! thats crazy...are you sure you are tracking your calories right?
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    no but check out my log for ideas if you want.
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    I ate 1,211 today. The last time I did that I was probably 10 years old! It is an accomplishment to eat such a low calorie number for me- I'm proud of myself! A nutty substitute is a great idea- they have calories and are good for you at the same time.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you want to do low carb, high protein, try a half pint of heavy cream with 6 eggs, blended together with vanilla and nutmeg. Packed with protein, healthy fat, virtually no carbs, and about 1200 cals.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I won't limit myself to 1200 calories a day. No way, no how. I don't like hovering right there on the edge of "not enough calories to sustain regular bodily functions." But I sometimes have an issue eating all my calories.

If that's the case, I chalk it up to my body not needing those calories and let it go. I think we naturally have larger appetites on some days than others. And we need to listen to our bodies.

As others have suggested, try adding foods that are more calorie dense, but healthy. Foods that are high in fiber and protein tend to be more caloric, but they're good for you.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Nope! haha but maybe eat higher calorie meals and replace your snacks with some sort of nuts!

I agree, higher calorie meals, and maybe add a snack, like 3 snacks a day.....I wouldnt recommend going under 1200, weather you feel hungry or not your body will go into starvation mode and that make you store the fat and not burn it off.
    I would also add some protein shakes or something.
    Just because your tummy doesn't grumble doesn't mean you are not hungry :)
    I think someone said eat every 2-3 hours that is a good rule too. Watch the clock and make the effort, I love love to eat and my favorite part is that I get to eat all day and I am down 21lbs so just saying you gotta eat no matter what!!

Best of luck to you!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    on a "normal" day when I am not off the wagon like i have been lately. I was having a hard time hitting the 1200 calories.

I agree. as long as you aren't starving yourself. you are feeling good. then don't worry too much about it. if it goes on for too long and you start feeling flat, then you know the issue ;)
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i'm also wondering if you're tracking correctly. i find it hard to believe you can't hit 1200 cals in 5 meals...do you exercise?? that will speed up your metabolism and make you hungrier (for fuel)...you should be dropping serious pounds if your eating less than 1200 AND exercising...i can easily eat 3000 cals (i don't!) in a day and i weigh 11o lbs and 5'4". i also burn 900 cals a day running...you need to do some serious investigation...
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I havn't had this problem myself but I have seen similar threads.
    A good suggestion would be higher calorie snacks (not sure what your eating now for snacks)
    Some ideas are yogurt,milk,and unsalted nuts.
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That half pint of heavy cream + eggs would give you 55g of SATURATED fat in just the cream alone!!! That's over 3 times of what is recommended. I know there is debate over whether saturated fat is as bad as originally thought, but it is still generally accepted that it is not one of the healthier fats. I would seriously think twice before eating all of that in one day! Sheesh!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    That half pint of heavy cream + eggs would give you 55g of SATURATED fat in just the cream alone!!! That's over 3 times of what is recommended. I know there is debate over whether saturated fat is as bad as originally thought, but it is still generally accepted that it is not one of the healthier fats. I would seriously think twice before eating all of that in one day! Sheesh!!!

High fat/low carb, or Low fat/high carb. Both work. Check out Paleo & Primal Blueprint for more info on my super nog! :)

I choose to follow the high fat/low carb life, with lots of clean, unprocessed food, and delicious saturated fats. Sorry if you don't agree with my newly acquired size 6 jeans ;)
  • CheekyGrl
    Options
    Same here! I would like to know what is your diet exactly! I easily hit my 1200 calories a day. maybe a day or 2 i can be slightly under but most of the time i blow it off. :embarassed:
  • Jaynequ
    Jaynequ Posts: 39
    Options
    I just checked your diary and you have logged 1200 to 1400 per day.

You are only logging 200 for dinner - that does not seem like enough for me. You logged turkey and feta lettuce wraps for dinner, no veg other than 2 pieces of lettuce, and no fruit. To meet most nutritional guidelines you need to increase your intake of fruit and veg quite dramatically.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Credible websites such as WebMD and trainers, nutritonists will all back this up. Your body needs 1200 calories minimum to function correctly. This is to make your heart beat your lungs and your lymphatic system work. The lymph system is key to weight loss that is why they push the extra water with this to flush out the toxins and fat that is being used up by the body.
  • Britt22706
    Options
    Hello-

Personally, I LOVE to eat, so I never have this problem. I reviewed your food diary and I think the best option for you would be to increase your calorie intake for breakfast. Add a cup of fruit or granola to your greek yogurt. This will add nutritional value and some extra calories.

I don't care if people are saying "if you aren't hungry, don't eat" because that's not true. Your body needs at least 1200 calories to sustain a healthy metabolism. I am currently 5'3" and weigh 121 lbs down from 149. I didn't get this way from eating under 1200, in fact, I ate around 1400, and I still do today. Eating less is not always a good thing. Or perhaps add a piece of whole wheat toast with breakfast or an english muffin.

Those are just a few of my suggestions! Just make sure that you EAT and don't let anybody tell you that it is okay to consume under 1200 calories a day, even if you are getting results, you could be damaging your body in the long run without even knowing it!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    What I have noticed with this is....the low calorie, eat less calories watch your calories..is an old diet rule of thumb from time gone by. That was the big push for so many years was watch your calories. So everyone worries about this instead of nutrition which is what you should be most worried about. Calories of the right kind and if you are exercising are not bad.. they are actually good. Stick with 1200 being your minimum and see the results just happen instead of having to try so hard.