Doing This the Right Way

Options
Hi. My name is Rachel. In 2007, I said goodbye to a four year struggle with bulimia. My unhealthy perception of food, exercise, my body, and even myself as a person has been a little harder to beat, though.

I eventually learned how to stop purging, but I did not stop binging. And while bulimia, unlike anorexia, is not known to cause significant weight loss, I quickly began to gain weight--about 30 pounds in three months--when I no longer vomited everything I ate.

Somehow--really, through the grace of God--the weight started to slowly come off. I am no longer overweight. And so, someone might wonder why I am here...doing this. I am not here to lose weight. I am here to become healthy. I learned how to eat without purging, and then I learned how to eat without binging. I have not, however, learned how to eat healthfully and exercise without becoming obsessive...dangerously, scarily obsessive. Whenever I give ANY attention--even with good intentions--to food, exercise, and my body, I feel myself drifting back to former ways. In an effort to avoid that haunted place, I do not give any attention to those things, even the attention they deserve. I want to become healthy. I want to BE healthy, body and mind. I am using this site as a tool to keep myself mindful, grounded, and accountable. And maybe, I can encourage someone else along the way.

Now please allow me, I must give credit to whom credit is due: without the grace of my Heavenly Father, without the compassion and sacrifice of my Savior, Jesus Christ, I would not be where I am today. I submit this yet again unto Him, but I will do my part, too.

Replies

• brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Well God Bless you!! He is helping me through this jouney as well! You can friend quest me if you'd like. Would love to have you on my team of encouragement!! :)
  • esq2man
    esq2man Posts: 30
    Options
    Admirable
  • socialite51
    Options
    Praise GOD!!! And welcome to this site. As you know you are here for a purpose. Maybe, who knows, that purpose may be to help someone else while you're learning to eat healthier and exercise.

Thanks for sharing your story and feel free to add me as a friend,:flowerforyou:
  • kellyh444
    kellyh444 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is such great news, Rachel! He is so good!! I began praying a few months ago for God to help curb my appetite so that I could do this the right way -- through better eating and exercise -- and He generously has answered that prayer. I'm not hungry all the time, I get full very fast and stay full, and have been able to stay within my calorie range much easier than I ever have before. Feel free to friend me!