Running Question

npatel160
npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Good Morning,

I had a question I have been working out for about 1.5 months now and I am seeing great results - flat stomach etc. I just recently started jogging too. I run/walk about 4 miles 3 times a week and do workout dvds in between days.

I really want slimmer thighs, I can def see my stomach getting flatter but have not seen any results in my thighs. I read somewhere that jogging makes your thighs bulker - builds muscle and will not look slimmer (which I do not want) is this true?

Thanks!

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Hi,

I think alot of it will depend on your genetics :)
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    I highly doubt! All runners have slim bodies. Look up marathon winners. If you start lifting/pressing weights with your legs, you will definitely gain muscle. Running will help you slim down and tone up, but not gain! Good luck! I love running :)
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    This is my third year of running and my thighs look great! :happy: Running makes your legs and thighs lean...not bulky at all.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I ran for several years and never got larger thighs out of the deal.

Serious cycling can make your thighs bigger, but other than that, you'd have to do some serious weight lifting (with teh proper nutrition) to gain any appreciable size to your thighs from exercise. Running isn't going to do that, honest.

Running will help to tone and tighten all the muscles in your lower body and core, but it's not going to bulk them up.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    I also have issues with my thighs, seems like no matter how much weight I lose, they will always be there. I personally found though that running seems to work the best for me as far as slimming them out. Also yoga really seems to work well at lengthening the muscle.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403 Member
    running will tone your legs. mine did not get bulky - they actually became lean.
    my spin instructor had thighs - it wasnt until she went gluten free due to an allergy that they disappeared:)
    so it is prob a combo of diet genetics and exercise. a boring answer! lol
  • according to some personal trainers, at first you may believe your thighs are getting bulkier (after all, you are building muscle), but after a while your body will shed the fat lying underneath and you will be left with beautiful runner's legs! it may take a while, but it will come!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    I guess it just depends on your build. I am a runner and my thighs are of pretty normal porportion. At all the races I go to, most of the runners are always pretty slim through the leg area.

As for thigh exercises, try walking lunges. I do these and I really feel the burn from it.
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Go for you to get into running. 1.5 months is probably too soon to claim that it is not working, so don't give up! You may also want to consider some toning/balancing/core exercises that will help to tone your legs as you burn off excess from running. It will also help to prevent running injuries like IT band pain :wink:

Keep it up!!!!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Oh I wish. The more I run, the leaner my legs get. And after losing close to 100 pounds total, I need to have strong high muscles to keep my skin nice and tight (if they get too thin, then my skin's not really tight after the weight loss). Unfortunately, my legs get leaner the more I run so I have to hit the gym to keep them stronger looking (and everything in it's place .... LOL).

So no. Running won't give you big bulky legs. The others were right on. Look at a runner. The more they run, the leaner their thighs are!
  • npatel160
    THANK YOU ALL for all the great advice and encouragement!!!! I am def going to run myself into a slimmer body! LOL In the short time that I have started running I absolutely love it!!! It def relieves stress so I am VERY happy to hear that my thighs won’t get bulky. I am going to continue circuit training to tone up 3 days/per week and then run approx 3 days/per week. Like some of you said I guess I just need to be patient with slimming my thighs! Thanks again to you all. I wish you ALL the best for your goals!!!! :happy:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    I've been training for the half marathon for 7 weeks now, Have lost 11 inches on my body, but none in my thighs, but there is less giggle! lol :) can't spot reduce fat :( Everyone is different where they lose it :)
  • npatel160
    Wow congrats!!! wish you the best for training for the half marathon!! I am think about training for a 10K!!! I am def seeing results, but I guess I just need to be patient with the thighs! thanks!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Do just be patient and keep at it. Running has so many benefits health wise it's not even funny!
  • i just completed my first half marathon - awesome experience!
This discussion has been closed.