I'm scared of my scale!!!

Options
Yes I realize that my scale is not real, but I am terrified of it. Last time I got on it, about a week ago, I gained 2 lbs. The time before that, I had lost 6lbs. I don't want to get on the scale and it moves the wrong way. I look at the scale and contemplate getting on it, but I always chicken out.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem with the scale? Any advice about how to overcome this???

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    happens to me all the time. It's normal.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have been know to weigh myself like 3 times a day (not a smart idea cause it's always a different number) I lost 4 pounds my first month of working out, then after a bad week of eating junk gained em all back...have now dropped 2 lbs again but am leaving the scale in the back of the closet for as long as I can...when I went to the gym the other night I had them do my body fat percentage and found out I have lost about 7% body fat since the last time I had it done (last October)...and I can see that my body looks better and firmer...so I am trying really hard to not get obsessed with the scale again.
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    I think its normal too. I have stayed the same the last 4 or 5 times I weighed myself I havent been on in over a week. Its a numbers game. I try to be more concerned with how my clothes fit. FYI.. your tagline says you've gained 92 lbs. :blushing: Good luck and just focus on eating right and excersizing!
  • aljernon
    aljernon Posts: 6
    Options
    It's very normal.. the scale calls out to me every single morning ... Step on me!!! Step on me!!! But I really try to resist it. I decided to weigh myself ONCE per week, Monday a.m. It is hard though, because when I'm really on it, exercising ,eating right and all that I want to see the results in the numbers.

Remember that the scale doesn't tell the whole story! The scale didn't really budge that much for me the whole month of February, but my jeans don't cut off the circulation to my lower body any more..hahaha -- So I know that what I am doing is working.

Don't worry about stepping on the scale right now, just keep on doing what you are doing, power on because it's the long haul results that you want..

Good luck!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal.

The ways to avoid the fear of the scale:

-Realize that your weight can fluctuate several pounds in one day, primarily due to water weight but also due to time of day, when you last had a bowel movement, TOM for females, and when you last ate or drank something. Weighing daily will make you crazy. If you're weighing more than daily, well, there's a problem there.

Back off to weighing yourself NO MORE than once a week.

-Take measurements. Measurements will not lie to you the way that the scale will.

-Realize that starting an exercise program will make you temporarily gain a few pounds. Why? It's NOT because you magically grew muscles overnight, unfortunately. (Don't we wish though!) It's because your muscles like to use glycogen for energy when you say to them "Hey, we're going to work right now!" As soon as you stop working, the muscles say "Hey, we need to replenish this glycogen and maybe add some because this fool might just workout again!" Glycogen gets stored in the muscles along with a whole lot of water.

If the scale really just makes you crazy, go by measurements and how your clothes are fitting.
    Do work out. Don't freak out if you gain a few pounds in the process at first.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting an accurate reading on spring scale. I got a dr office beam scale off ebay and i face it naked every morning. It really helps me to see the real cause and effect. I now look at it as a helpful tool
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a theme park vacation, and I'm afraid of my scale now too. Avoiding setbacks is good, but when it comes down to it, not every setback is avoidable. Sh** happens. Yes, having will power is important, but it's even more important to be able to get back up when you're down and get back to the routine.

I think people get into a "switch" mindset. They think that it's okay to keep messing up once you mess up a little. "Well, I had ice cream for lunch, so it's no big deal if have this greasy bacon cheeseburger and fries for dinner, right?" You just need to remember that every hour is a new hour. Every bite is a new bite. If you mess up a little, the consequences will be small, and the consequences will grow as you mess up more. It's not okay to use past mistakes to justify future ones.

Don't beat yourself up. To be human is to be a career screwup like everyone else (especially me). The trick is to forgive yourself and move on knowing that you can't change the past.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Totally normal! The scale and I have a love hate relationship. It taunts me. :) And your weight will fluctuate during the day, during the week, and at that time of month anyway. That's why it's important to weigh yourself at the same time of day, in the same clothes, so you get a consistent reading. And it's completely normal to still see some up and down. Over the long run though you'll see real progress if you're consistent about the calories and exercise. I weigh myself in the morning, after I've gone to the bathroom (sorry for the TMI, but it does make a difference) and before i get dressed. Then I slide the scale under the bed and leave it there until the next weigh in. (Okay, sometimes I cheat and check during the week to stay motivated.)
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As far as how often to weigh yourself, I like the Hacker's Diet method of taking a moving average of daily measurements. This takes the emphasis away from individual measurements in favor of a statistical picture. This is actually more insightful than weekly or monthly measurements, but it's a bit more time consuming than daily measurements unless you're using Excel or something to do the math.

Personally, I'm just happy to stay under a calorie goal. That's almost my goal itself: to have the self discipline to follow a regimented diet. I've been on that old joke of a "see food" diet for my whole life until the beginning of this year.