feeling confused/overwhelmed

Options
So when I first started this a little more than a month ago, I put that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week. the weeks went like this... I lost 3lbs, 2lbs, 3lbs, 1lb, 1lb. Now I'm starting to get nervous about a plateau. I exercise 4-5 days a week for about 23 minutes a day (except for the 2 days I do an hour). MFP has me at 1240 cals a day. I don't like to eat back my exercise calories unless I have to. But now I'm thinking....maybe I'm not eating enough or maybe I'm just eating the wrong kinds of foods.

I just went in a changed my MFP settings to lose 1lb a week and it put me all the way back up to 1700 something.

I need some advice. How do i fight this possible plateau? Should I be eating 1240 cals a day or should i be eating more? My diary is open (although keep in mind my calorie mark used to be 1240). I want this to be a lifestyle change. I'm not dieting. I want to get to a healthy weight where I like how I look and feel. I'm pretty impatient by nature so maybe I should just wait everything out?

ugh...too many conflicting ideas in the world of fitness and nutrition!!! :indifferent:

Replies

• DeeDeeMarie
    Options
    I am also having the same problem... i am working out and burning around 1000 calories each exercise session which has been 6 days a week,not eating back those calories and have plateaued, i have been told by everyone that i need to exercise less and eat more. Its a hard concept to grasp for me but i started this yesterday and promised i would give myself a week to see if i saw results... join me if you want!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    to avoid the "dreaded plateau" just change ur workout routine and add some healthy snacks to ur day. U have to trick ur body! I trick my body every 2 weeks or so, just so I can keep losing 2+ lbs per week. So far it has worked like a charm!
  • kelseybee17
    Options
    Try bumping it up a bit to 1350 a day. It probably is that it's too low. Trying doing that and maybe bumping up your exercises to an hour a day every time you work out? Try that, you might see a difference!
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I don’t think there’s any possible way to avoid a plateau. Sometimes they’re longer or shorter. I know I stayed at the same weight for a week and a half before my weight changed. When you hit one, you can also eat a little more and then the next day, eat a little less. That’s helped me in the past, I believe that’s a good way to trick your body.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am also having the same problem... i am working out and burning around 1000 calories each exercise session which has been 6 days a week,not eating back those calories and have plateaued, i have been told by everyone that i need to exercise less and eat more. Its a hard concept to grasp for me but i started this yesterday and promised i would give myself a week to see if i saw results... join me if you want!

that sounds like a good plan. I'm not going to cut back on my exercise (i'm only burning 300-600 cals a session and i love how i feel when i exercise) but I will try to eat closer to 1710 cals.

my weigh in is tomorrow so i'll start tomorrow!

glad to know ur having the same problem....hope we can figure this out!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You're still losing, so you're not really at a plateau yet. If you're that worried about it, I really recommend eating back your exercise calories. Eating more might get you over the hump. Really though, if you're still losing a pound a week... I think you're doing something right!!!!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week is more realistic for sure, and far more likely to be fat loss and not muscle loss. Also, since you're still losing weight, you're not at a plateau, you're losing weight! :) yay!!!! Patience is your friend, and if you can take the time to make this a shift in lifestyle rather than a sprint to a short term goal, you are far far far more likely to keep the weight off. Good luck, Sweetie! :)
  • TampaMom
    TampaMom Posts: 24
    Options
    You should eat the calories you are burning. If you eat too little your body will start to conserve energy and you will stop losing weight. Also I have found that focusing on the scale is not always the best measure of success. I try to look more at clothing sizes. Muscle weighs more than fat and sometimes you fluctuate weight based on water retention. Or maybe get a scale that monitors fat percentage instead of just looking at pounds. Good luck and sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work! :)
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    you guys have all been so sweet! :flowerforyou: thank you!! I feel tons better. I have to remember to take it one day at a time and not get too far ahead of myself. I think i get that way because I remember how great it felt to be at a healthy weight and really love my body. I just can't wait to get back to that. :bigsmile:

also just to clarify.... i fear i'm hitting a plateau b/c i checked my weight on tuesday and i was up a pound. I guess the final verdict will be in tomorrow if i'm officially at a plateau or not.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs a week is totally normal and healthy and you're not going to see a loss every week (generally). But with a target goal of 1240 I'd definitely be eating my exercise cals back. If you don't want to eat them all back you could try even just keeping your net cals at 1200 minimum. I never lost much eating in the 1200 calorie range, personally, but everyone is different :) GL!
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week,sustained is unrealistic goal unless you are obese/severly overweight and then only at first is dramatic loss which slows down . The less you have to lose the slower it comes off. I have not plateaued yet( i'm 3 months in with a lot to lose,35lbs gone), i eat suggeested calorie allotment most days and half of exercise calories and it is working for me,but we which have to find out what works for each of us.I have a freind doing this with only 30lbs to lose and she stalled early,she starting eating more on exercise days and is losing again, try different things qand see what works,good luck,just don't get too discouraged!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    the rate you are losing at is fine. If you stop losing weight for 1 or 2 weeks it isn`t a bad thing. Your body will still be changing. You will lose some fat, build some muscle, tone your body. The weight will start to come off again shortly. This isn`t a must avoid situation.

This a day to day struggle, but result should be looked at over a period of a couple weeks, not a couple days.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So when I first started this a little more than a month ago, I put that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week. the weeks went like this... I lost 3lbs, 2lbs, 3lbs, 1lb, 1lb. :

But that *is* 2 lbs a week!