Steroids

Options
So my dr. put me on a 5-day dose of steroids to combat an allergic reaction to some lotion I tried. My question is: I weigh in tomorrow and am terrified (I get discouraged easily) because I haven't weighed in for several days (since I started taking them). My question: will this affect my weight loss (er, hopefully a loss, anyway, lol) and if so, by how much?

Replies

• szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    a 5 day dose shouldn't effect your weigh in by much, and if it does it will mostly be water weight. If you feel like you are "hungry-er" lately (and your food intake is the same as before you started taking them), you may have to chock it up the the roids... Alot of factors take place as well (the dosage, how often you take them, etc). I was on them for 6 months, and it REALLY had a horrible effect (I gained 40 lbs), but my daughter was on a one week dose, and it didnt do anything for her.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this because she had me on a 5 day regimen of steroids for my wrist pain. She told me that these short term doses do not cause weight gain. You may have felt a little more hungry while taking them but if you stuck to your plan it should be fine. People who are on long term steroid regimens for chronic conditions are the most likely to gain the weight.