Tips for beginning runners?

Options
Hey guys!

I'm sort of new to running...I did it for a bit in college but some health issues forced me to stop. But I'm back on the bandwagon again! I've only been running for about 6 weeks (doing C25K) but I would love to eventually consider myself a "runner". Any tips for me? What to eat/what not to eat (pre and post workout), tips on when to stretch, shoes to wear, etc.?

I'd love any advice you can throw my way---I really want to make this stick!

Replies

• RMX983
    RMX983 Posts: 34
    Options
    No advice from me because we seem to be in the same spot. Week 6 C25K for me. Good luck with your training!
  • cookiejones
    cookiejones Posts: 104
    Options
    I've seen the C25k a few times. Um...What is it please? (sorry, if it's been posted before!!)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    when i first started, i could barely run to the corner (about 2 tenths of a mile). i set tiny goals at first...

make it to that sign. make it to that fence post. make it to the corner. do NOT push beyond your body's capability.

4 months later I ran my first 5k. ran the whole thing. slow, but steady. that last quarter mile was so awesome, knowing i would finish. in december, i ran a 12k and in june i'm going for a half marathon.

it can be done. best advice is set small goals at first and don't push to the point of injury (shin splints are not good). and enjoy the endorphin high :)
  • Behavioral
    Options
    Kind of in the same boat too, but I was trained in college as a track coach. I was having a LOT of pain in my lower legs on the outside and discovered I under pronate. Turns out, there's a shoe for that and they don't need to be expensive. Point being, listen to your legs, if you have pain that seems to be in the joints or bones, but not centered in the muscle, there may be something that you need to adjust. www.runnersworld.com (i think that's right) has great information.
  • MissTizz
    MissTizz Posts: 39
    Options
    It's Couch to 5K.
  • dlynn08
    dlynn08 Posts: 57
    Options
    It's the Couch to 5K running program. Basically it's a 9 week program that gets you from running in one minute spurts to a full 30 minutes (or 3.1 miles depending on your speed).

Here's the link to their site: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml?act=AFC-SocialMedia&Property=CoolRunning&Sport=Running&PageType=Content_Articles&Emp=SA&PostType=Social_Network_Wall&Site=C25kfacebook&Dy=10_20_09&Note=C25kplan
  • MissTizz
    MissTizz Posts: 39
    Options
    Also I really like reading different blogs and books - ultimately, it is about reading you own body, but it's really great to hear tips and advice from all kids of people!
  • cookiejones
    cookiejones Posts: 104
    Options
    thank you! :)
  • jennajoehro
    jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Start slow.
    Like, really slow.
    Don't expect too much from yourself right away. It takes time for your body to get used to things.
    You'll get there.

We joined the Y in January 2009. At that point I could not even run 1/2 mile on the treadmill at a super slow pace without gasping for breath and thinking I was going to die.
    Fast forward--Sept. 2009--my 30th birthday--ran my first 5K. Finished in 30:36.
    Fast forward--Sept. 2010--my 31st birthday--ran my first 1/2 marathon. Finished in 2:12.30.

It can be done!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right thing by working up to full time running with c25k. I'm doing something similar with Runners World's beginner program, and it is working out really well. I've had to slow down to keep my heart rate down more than I've felt like I am too tired to run.

Keep building, and set some goals for the future with a 5k.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch! It's so important to stay limber & avoid injury. Ice anything that hurts, even if it's just a bit twingy. Runner's World has some good stretching programs.

Get really good shoes, from a running store. Preferably one that has a treadmill so you can really try the shoes out.

Stay hydrated.

Eat smart, but don't worry too much about it - you're not running enough to make it different from any other workout at this point.

Be patient - you'll do awesome!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Get really good shoes, from a running store. Preferably one that has a treadmill so you can really try the shoes out.

I second this. Go to a store that specializes in running and get fit for a pair. Don't just buy one off the rack. The wrong shoes can be uncomfortable at best and lead to injuries at worst. The right shoes don't even feel like you are wearing them. Makes a HUGE difference!
  • dlynn08
    Options
    When do you stretch? Before or after you run? Or both?
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    Stretch after you run but make sure you warm up with 5-10 minutes of walking before you start your run. Start with time for your running goals, once you get to about 30 minutes straight, then track your goals by miles. As someone else said, get fitted and invest in a good pair of shoes, this is SUPER important to avoid injury. Eat a small snack (a tablespoon of almond butter and an apple is my favorite) about an hour before you run. You do not need to eat a larger snack, carb load or refuel with a lot of protein unless you are running longer than an hour at a time. Remember that running does not give you the excuse to eat more or cheat (I had to learn this the hard way). Learn the difference between pain you can push through and pain that you should not push through. Cross train on your off days to help avoid injury... yoga and boxing are favorites of mine. Be sure to listen to your body, if you need a day off take it even if it goes against your training schedule.

Congrats on getting back to it, welcome to the cult and enjoy!

www.runnersworld.com is an amazing site with loads of information.
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Build strength as well as run. A strong core which you can develop through yoga or pilates, along with stretching, goes a long way in helping both your running form and preventing injury. It takes more than just your legs to run safely.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    I stretch both before and after I run... gently with movement-based (dynamic) stretches before, and long, static stretches after. My muscles have a tendency to get really tight, and the pre-run stretch does so much to loosen me up & make the run more comfortable.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm sort of new to running...I did it for a bit in college but some health issues forced me to stop. But I'm back on the bandwagon again! I've only been running for about 6 weeks (doing C25K) but I would love to eventually consider myself a "runner". Any tips for me? What to eat/what not to eat (pre and post workout), tips on when to stretch, shoes to wear, etc.?

I'd love any advice you can throw my way---I really want to make this stick!

Congrats! I used to be a dedicated runner and am just getting back into it now. I finished C25K week 2 today.

Shoes: Go to a real running store and get professionally fitted. They'll watch you run and get you into the best type of shoe for your feet, weight, running surfaces and running style. Do not be at all surprised if your running shoes are a full size larger than your street shoes! And log the miles you put on those shoes. They do not last forever! Running shoes lose much of their cushioning somewhere between 300 and 500 miles, depending on a number of factors including your weight and the surfaces you run on.

Socks: Buy yourself good SYNTHETIC socks. the synthetic socks will wick moisture away from your feet, cooling you and more importantly, AVOIDING BLISTERS! Cotton absorbs several times its weight in sweat, and then the sock is too loose and rubbing against your foot with EVERY step. Blister city!

Running surfaces: As a new runner, you don't yet have the muscle and bone density or tendon and ligament strength to deal with the physical shock of running. This takes about 6-8 months to build.

You can help yourself by varying running surfaces or at least staying off concrete for awhile. Grass is softest (the treadmill is close), then dirt, then asphalt, then concrete. Just something to consider to make yourself less prone to overuse injuries like shin splints, stress fractures, etc.

You can also help yourself by having a day off between running days. This is really important to avoid overuse injuries that could sideline you for months! It's fine to work out every day, just don't run every day.

What to eat: It's a little different for everyone, but most people find their tummies aren't happy if they eat closer than 45 minutes before a run. Something small and carby is good.

Post run, you want to get a small snack that's roughly 4 parts carbs to 1 part protein within an hour. A glass of milk is fine! This replaces the glycogen in your muscles and also throwws in some amino acids for muscle repair.

And you should be drinkig water all day long, every day, to stay hydrated.

Stretching: Yes, you want to stretch! Walk for 5 minutes, then do your stretches, then start your run. This will get some blood into the muscles before stretching, so you aren't as likely to tear anything. Stretch again after the run.

Early on, the temptation is going to be to do too much, too soon. You're going to be feeling good and so proud, piling on more miles will seem like a good idea. It's NOT a good idea--that's how people get injured!

Once you're up to that full 30 minutes of running, you want to add 10% to your running time or mileage(depending which one you're tracking) per week. That's the rate of increase that should keep you from overuse injuries.

If you can afford one or two good quality pieces of running workout wear--sweat wicking shirt and bottoms--you will be a lot more comfortable. Yes, they're pricey, but meant to withstand literally hundreds of washings. You really only need one or two good pieces for each sort of weather you run in.

When you wash these technical pieces, don't use fabric softener in the washer or dyer. The fabric softener plugs up those wicking fibers adn you just turned that $45 shirt into junk. :( Hang dry as often as possible as they'll last longer and they dry in less than a half hour anyway.
  • dlynn08
    Options
    Wow!!! Lots of great advice here! I'm going to get my first official running shoes tomorrow (a work bonus came at the PERFECT time). I'm on week 5 of C25K and on my first 20 minute run tomorrow (with no walking). It will be a task, but I've done it before and I know the battle is half mental!

Good advice on the stretching...I do normally warm up with a brisk 5 minute walk (about 4.0 mph) but I'm itching to start running after about 2 minutes. :) Haven't been doing so good with the post run stretches...definitely need to do those. Thanks everyone!

Anyone else with more advice is welcome to give it!