I feel like I'll never lose weight :(

Options
I am 5'5 and have weighed around 180 for a year now. I always say... Oh I'll diet tomorrow.. But even when I start a diet I always end up pigging out :( what can I do? Please help... I'm tired of being overweight

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Use willpower!! That is all you can do! You should think of it as a lifestyle change eating healthier over a diet! If you think of it as a forever change, you will be more likely to change.

More importantly, if u don't have the junk food in the house there is no temptation!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    If you need to, start off very slow. If eating healthy every day seems a bit overwhelming at this point, or you can't seem to find the motivation to go more than a few days in a row, maybe you can start off just eating healthy every other day. Or two days on, one day off, or something like that. You probably won't see much weight loss, but maybe it will be enough of a loss to get you motivated?
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Don't Diet....

What will work and stick is changing your lifestyle and habits. You will have days where you feel you are "failing" but this ultimately is a change in how you live your life vs just a fad diet.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    first off..dont diet.
    diets dont work in the long run. if you want to lose weight and keep it off you need to make a commitment and change your entire lifestyle. its about eating healthy and exercise for life. not just a short few months to lose 20 lbs then gain back 30 when you go off the diet.

you need to start eating healthy, working out on a daily basis, get motivated and stay motivated. dont beat yourself up so much, if you have a donut one day or pizza, or skip one workout..we all do that..and actually is important part of being healthy. since its not about denile, its about change.
  • drachac
    drachac Posts: 15
    Options
    I think what will help is signing in daily and talking to people on a personal level who can check in on you and see how you are doing and help motivate you and encourage you. It is hard. The hardest part is the begining when you have to change your current lifestyle. I know! Im in the same place and struggling! But we can totally do it! :) Once we get over the first few weeks it will become easier to refuse the bad stuff and keep making great choices!
  • sparrow747
    Options
    I agree - no diets! It's about making right choices -- you can lose weight and never have to pig out, all while feeling full and satisfied. And of course you're allowed to have treats, but they are treats, a cookie or two is fine as long as you allot the calories for it in your day.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't think about a *diet*. Think about what small changes you can make to better your day. Break it up into days. Today just track everything. See where tomorrow you can make a better food choice for a snack, or add more veggies into your meal.

When I think about the months its going to take me to get where I want I get discouraged, it seems so daunting and that it'll take forever. But if I break it up day by day, its easier to reach that small goal and think, hey I did it, what can I do tomorrow?

Its not always easy & I still slip. But I try to not beat myself up to much and don't let it control my next day.
  • skinnymom10
    Options
    Hello, my name is Shelia and I would love to help you!! I joined MFP January of 2010. I have lost 52 pounds to date. I have several great ideas to help you get started the right way without getting frustrated. How much weight do you desire to lose? I have several things that we can go over together to get ya started. Hope to talk to you soon!!!

Shelia
  • stephdallas
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone has said. I made a choice almost four years ago to get healthy, and haven't looked back. I'm not saying it is easy, and that there haven't been bumps in the road, but generally I think I do really well. I did exactly what everyone above said- I don't diet. I try to make healthy choices, and when I slip, I let it go. In almost four years, I have lost 35 pounds (I've gained quite a bit of muscle). I know what you're thinking- it's not a huge amount of weight, but it's a really long time! I did everything in baby steps. I joined a bootcamp (where I have become really close with the trainer, and met some amazing people. I've actually started teaching the bootcamps myself), which was huge. Don't join a gym, unless you have a friend who is going to drag you there everyday. Join a small class, get a personal trainer- anyone you have to be accountable to. Personally, if I hadn't joined bootcamp, I know I would still be out of shape (and likely bigger than I was!). I didn't change my eating habits for a while- and when I did, I just changed portion sizing. When I was comfortable eating less, it seemed more natural to make healthier choices (although, if you check out my food diary, you'll see I'm not afraid to cheat!). I also started going to the gym when I wasn't at bootcamp. I've found that it inspires me to be around others who are real- they complain, and they sweat, and they huff and puff, but they do it! Find someone like that, and find something that you love; dance, swim, bike, run, join a bootcamp, whatever! If you love it, and you love the people you do it with, you'll stick with it. The biggest thing is...stick with it! It'll happen. Good luck :)
  • Patecakers
    Options
    remember diet is a 4 letter word!!! an evil 4 letter word because when you "diet" you leave room for failure....this is NOT a diet...it's a lifestyle change and ya gotta keep plugging at it and working on it in order for it to work for you!!! Keep in mind that you have an entire group of members on here that are your support system....when you need a shoulder to cry on or someone to give you words of advice...we are here.....always! We are your "weight loss family" and we do care!

Keep up the good work and keep fighting the good fight!
    Patty
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Okay im going to disagree to what they are saying about dont diet. Diet is the key to loosing weight along with alot of cardio. Yes eating better will help you loose weight but might not get you to were you want to be. If you watch what you eat and how much you eat you will be good to go. Eat 6 meals a day and i mean meals not no protein bar or something like that. There is no such thing as i cant get 6 meals a day in. All of your meals are small and take less then 15 to 20 mins to eat.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to have a "lifestyle" change then look at the habits you've got that don't fit in with that and concentrate on changing them one at a time. Do you need to cut out soda pop? Drink more water? Get more vegetables? Fewer refined, processed carbs? More exercise? Just pick one thing to concentrate on for awhile and then add to it as you develop new habits. My suggestion would be to look at one area (either diet or exercise) and concentrate on a habit from there. If you're really motivated choose one habit from each category and work on those.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I started by making it a point to drink two green smoothies a day for two weeks. After two weeks I've continued drinking one a day plus I cut out refined and processed foods as much as possible. Then I started adding in more exercise with specific goals (more cardio initially to up my endurance. Later I added weights and now I'm doing P90X.) Each small stepping stone builds on the last and I'm not making huge changes overnight. I've lost about 18 pounds total since September just making little changes one at a time.

ETA: I'm not saying you don't need to count calories. I track mine every single day but getting started was a little challenging. As I decided to just focus on a couple of habits at a time it became easier to start tracking because it wasn't just about losing weight. It was also about getting healthier and feeling better. Those little steps have snowballed into a more focused routine for me and every accomplishment spurs me to make better choices,