What do you log as exercise?

Options

Replies

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Also poo-pooing the idea of anybody using it as acitvity isn't right. Whatever they can do at that time is good. What about the people on this site over 300 pounds and all they can do is maybe clean thier kitchen before getting tired? I dont think its fair to tell them it doesn't count.

My thoughts exactly. We're all here to motivate. Not bash. That's what Facebook is for. lol
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Also poo-pooing the idea of anybody using it as acitvity isn't right. Whatever they can do at that time is good. What about the people on this site over 300 pounds and all they can do is maybe clean thier kitchen before getting tired? I dont think its fair to tell them it doesn't count.

***LIKE*** and ^5! :flowerforyou:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    If im sweating im logging it plain and simple. Its physical activity and if your doing it and have not in the past because it seemed to difficult then it should count. I wont feel bad about that and I do not agree its cheating. When your 274pnds and walking a flight of stairs winds you then cleaning your house for a half hour or hour is working out.

Woah--we agree more than we disgaree here. Re-read what I've said. I said that for someone that is working hard to meet what a more fit or lighter person might call 'activities of daily life' probably ought to log it. That was actually the basis for my question!

I don't think she was disagreeing with you so much as acknowledging that this does happen. People DO get criticized for what they log as exercise. So on board with the not fair, don't judge, etc opinions. :)
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't typically include normal housekeeping, but I did include painting as an "exercise." I figured after painting for 8 hours, doing countless lunges, stretches squats, and modified sit-ups (painting trim!) It must be worth something. I had just started exercising, and didn't want to miss a day. However, the Wii Fit program did call me on it! :)

I'm going to be painting soon...how did you count the calories for this?
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was not commenting on any one post... just stating my opinion and I forgot to write the second comment before I was done. Was not intended to be pointed at any one idividual.
  • Rikkijean
    Rikkijean Posts: 21
    Options
    when you first set your goals it asks you how active you are..based on that and how much weight you wanna lose or exercise you plan to do will determin how many calories you can have in a day. so if you are fairly active, all of that has already been calculated for you, nobody should put that in as exercise not to mention your body is already adapted to those activities as a daily routine so it wont get you any results anyways...your body will respond to new motions and cardio....you need to change it up every 3 - 4 weeks to keep your body guessing, you can always go back to other workouts later but as long as you dont let any exercise become too routine...once your body gets used to a routine it gets easier because you've adapted, thats as far as your results will go :frown: ...pushing the norm, getting out of your comfort zone thats what you put in as exersise. also i put i my dog walking on there but only cuz he pulls really hard so it truly is a workout walking him :laugh: ....keep up the good work :flowerforyou: 5397921.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    For the love of God, I never said or implied that some people don't find 'activities of daily life' to be true exercise, nor that they shouldn't log it.

I didn't poo-poo that. Maybe go back and READ WHAT I WROTE?

But for someone who wants to lose 20 or 30 pounds, is cooking, shopping or normal housecleaning exercise? I'm not sure.

Before people jump down my throat, they MIGHT want to ACTUALLY READ THE THREAD.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I did read the thread but maybe you didnt. It was not pointed at anybody. You asked if it should be counted someone else commented they thought it was cheating.... I was responding to THAT IDEA. Not any one person.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I was not commenting on any one post... just stating my opinion and I forgot to write the second comment before I was done. Was not intended to be pointed at any one idividual.

Maybe I just took it personally when no personal insult was intended. :embarassed:

But you and I are really on the same wavelength here. For a larger person who's been inactive for a long time, some things that I personally would not count as exercise really ARE exercise. And I don't see any difference in MFP in how to log or count that. Hence my question on the original post. :frown:
  • leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    Options
    My lifestyle is marked as lightly active. I am a student on a large campus (probably half an hour of vigorous walking from class to class, usually an hour of wandering around), and I keep a tidy apartment (generally on my feet for an hour or so a day with that). Those are my lifestyle calories, and are already counted in my net calories. If I had myself marked as sedentary, I'd definitely include those calories.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For me, better safe than sorry--I am at a "normal" weight (just not an attractive one, IMO) and am a student and an editor, so I sit a lot. My lifestyle is entered as sedentary for that reason. I have kids and a three-story house--laundry in the basement--so I am up and down stairs all the time. I don't include cooking, cleaning, grooming, shopping, marital activities, or walking between classes. I might give myself a five-minute walking credit for walking from my car to class, and I do count walking my kids to school (also 20 min RT). My thought is, I was doing all these things for years and still sitting at a weight I hated, so clearly these activities are not enough exercise to get me to my goal. But logging and eating the walking calories helps get me from "Jesus, I might actually starve to death today" at 1200 to "Perhaps I can actually do this" at 1400 calories.
  • Rikkijean
    Options
    My lifestyle is marked as lightly active. I am a student on a large campus (probably half an hour of vigorous walking from class to class, usually an hour of wandering around), and I keep a tidy apartment (generally on my feet for an hour or so a day with that). Those are my lifestyle calories, and are already counted in my net calories. If I had myself marked as sedentary, I'd definitely include those calories.

exactly my point! well done :happy: cheers to that :drinker:
    5397921.png
  • Atlantique
    Options

Maybe I should have put mine as 'lightly active' too. I put sedentary, because my work is sedentary. But I do, at the very least, get a half hour of walking the dog in a day, and usually more like an hour. To me, that isn't an efffort, it's just what I do every day.

But to many others, that's a lot of walking.

If you live or work in a city (as I do) you also get in a lot of incidental walking even with a desk job as you walk from your commuter transportation to your office and back. To ME, that's not a big deal. To someone larger or more sedentary, it would truly be 'exercise'.

So this is why I am confused. MFP doesn't really have a way to advise any member what is 'exercise' vs. 'daily life activity'. Yes, 'daily life activity' is different for me, who is somewhat active, owns a dog and walks to and from commuter transportation and only needs to lose 30 pounds, than it is for someone with many more pounds to lose or who has truly been inactive for many years or lives in a suburb and drives everywhere. But we're all supposedly using the same calculations to get us to our goals.

I find this confusing, hence the question.

Are some realtively light and healthy people overestimating 'exercise'? Assuming that the calories recommended are for staying in bed all day? And conversely, are some larger and inactive people UNDERestimating calories, based on their larger efforts for any sort of activity?

I don't see MFP differentiating here, or advising. So I asked the question. My goal was NOT to upset or wound anyone. It was only to get a clearer understanding.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not count cleaning/cooking/etc. as exercise for me, but everybody has their own thing. Different workouts, different schedules, activity loads, etc. So while logging that sort of stuff isn't anything I would do, if it really is exercise for somebody else, then good for them. It will either work and be helpful or it will be a facade - eventually they will figure out if it is working or not.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't typically include normal housekeeping, but I did include painting as an "exercise." I figured after painting for 8 hours, doing countless lunges, stretches squats, and modified sit-ups (painting trim!) It must be worth something. I had just started exercising, and didn't want to miss a day. However, the Wii Fit program did call me on it! :)

I'm going to be painting soon...how did you count the calories for this?

There are a few sites out there that have "painting" as an exercise. Here's one: http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
  • Rikkijean
    Options

Maybe I should have put mine as 'lightly active' too. I put sedentary, because my work is sedentary. But I do, at the very least, get a half hour of walking the dog in a day, and usually more like an hour. To me, that isn't an efffort, it's just what I do every day.

But to many others, that's a lot of walking.

If you live or work in a city (as I do) you also get in a lot of incidental walking even with a desk job as you walk from your commuter transportation to your office and back. To ME, that's not a big deal. To someone larger or more sedentary, it would truly be 'exercise'.

So this is why I am confused. MFP doesn't really have a way to advise any member what is 'exercise' vs. 'daily life activity'. Yes, 'daily life activity' is different for me, who is somewhat active, owns a dog and walks to and from commuter transportation and only needs to lose 30 pounds, than it is for someone with many more pounds to lose or who has truly been inactive for many years or lives in a suburb and drives everywhere. But we're all supposedly using the same calculations to get us to our goals.

I find this confusing, hence the question.

Are some realtively light and healthy people overestimating 'exercise'? Assuming that the calories recommended are for staying in bed all day? And conversely, are some larger and inactive people UNDERestimating calories, based on their larger efforts for any sort of activity?

I don't see MFP differentiating here, or advising. So I asked the question. My goal was NOT to upset or wound anyone. It was only to get a clearer understanding.

ok now i have to say i really like this question, and the calories burned for cardio exercises are based on your weight and hight. me and my 2 girlfriends do the exact same workout 3 times a week circuit training, and we all log our workouts on here...so for example i'm 141Lbs and 5'7" i burn 386 calories. one of my friends is 129Lbs and 5'4" she burns 374 calories, my other friend is 174Lbs and 5'5" she burns 489 calories........we all do the same workout so it defenitely is different for every individual.

5397921.png
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    I put myself down as sedentary, and decided to log my cleaning and yardwork, with caveats and modifications that I adjust as time goes on, and I figure out what works for me. Fundamentally, I log this stuff to encourage myself to get off my couch, put down the computer, and catch up on my housekeeping in the evening, rather than my LOLcats. My general rules are these: nightly routine, such as cooking dinner, washing dishes after, or a quick load of laundry don't count. If I've done significant other exercise, I'll skip it (like tonight - did a good solid hour of house and yard work, but logged none). For housework, I usually cut the number of minutes at least in half - two hours gets an hour logged, and so forth. Yardwork varies, depending whether I'm doing really light yardwork, or heavy-duty stuff. The heavier the workout, the less I modify my estimate.

It works for me - I'm doing real workouts at the gym to challenge myself and try to exceed my prior limits. I'm taking walks on my lunches to move my body more often. I'm cleaning the house a bit more, keeping the yard up better, and ending each day with a significant deficit.

Bottom line, if it works for you, do it. If it doesn't, change it.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i have seen people say they are logging sex as cardio...i mean really come on now

That's for the Catholics who try to think of it as anything but pleasurable.
    KIDDING, KIDDING, <duck outta the way>
    :wink:
    -mfpchris (who attended Catholic school)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ha you should see what I put for my exercise muth3rluvx2 knows what im talking about:laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :grumble: stupid double post