Good News and Bad News

Options
The good news is I've lost 39 pounds in the last year and am One Pound from my goal weight of 172! (My old college weight.)

The bad news is I've hit a wall with addictive behavior and blown my calorie limit to the point of zero weight loss for three nights in a row. After many months of weight loss with little struggle, I find myself late night bingeing on ice cream with little control. There may be a contributing factor (medical marijuana for RLS and neuropathy) but I've been taking it nightly for three years without a problem (meaning no munchies!) I'm baffled and not a little concerned, with my weight loss goal so close. I feel embarrassed by my lack of control but wanted to put this out there instead of keeping it to myself, uncomfortable as it is. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    does it have to be ice cream..i snack on sugar free pudding 60 calories and sometimes weight watchers ice cream bars 100-130 cal but if u eat like 200 calories if u must then turn some music on (volume low)and dance and go to www.healthstatus to see what you burned .im sure this probably doesnt help since u are not new to this ,but its a good idea to me lol
    good luck
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Find something else to snack on? I absolutely love ice cream ..and actually used to smoke weed..not government sanctioned but with a bong LOL.
    Tonight for example I ate five ounces of blueberries with low fat cottage cheese..it rocked. Well- I'm addicted to blueberries. Find some fruit that can be combined with low fat or non fat greek yogurt and give you the same kind of satisfaction. You can even try frozen rasberries or blackberries..
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    well. you know what you're doing. you just have to work to fix it, don't you? and. you are maintaining your current weight, so I wouldn't be tooooooo upset, but try to sort out what's making you do it. is it because you think "oh heck, I've lost this much. one bowl of ice cream won't hurt?" or is it something else? ><

I'd be looking for the source of the problem and fixing that, luckily you're maintaining thus far.
    ;)

well done on the 39lbs! here's hoping you get that last pound out of the way!
  • Greyhawkk
    Greyhawkk Posts: 34
    Options
    puff puff ...pass.....just saying ! ...8)

Try sugar free gum...but the sweet fruity stuff.....it helps me get through my sugar cravings at that time of night.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me in the past when I'm out of control sugar binging is to eat low carb for a few days. Eating protein and veggies seems to stop the sugar cravings and then I can cycle back to eating normally. Congrats on being so close to your goal, woohoo!
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think that because you are so close to goal there is probably some weird mind games going on with yourself.
  • redrockroadrunner
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback and some great suggestions. Last night wasn't too bad, maybe because putting it out there to you all meant I wasn't standing in front of the refrigerator all by myself - felt supported and a lot less guilty, maybe because my 'confession' had been heard! "Only as sick as your secrets", they say. Thanks again and I will post on my progress with this!
  • redrockroadrunner
    Options
    Just wanted you all to know that I am doing much better with keeping to my calorie limit. I think three things really helped: 1) sharing my struggle with others, not keeping it to myself, 2) finding a different dessert item that does it for me but is not as addictive (a hot late night drink of unsweetened vanilla soymilk with just one tbsp. Nesquick (30 cal.), and 3) remembering (as some of you reminded me) that I'm still losing weight and basically still on track with my goals. I really appreciate all of your support, and I'm even more stoked now about this great program!:love:
  • jennyath
    jennyath Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Another thing you might want to try is sticking your washed grapes in the freezer. I prefer red. They are soooooooo good. Taste like little spheres of sorbet. Also yummy is frozen raspberries. Someone else said peaches. Frozen bananas are delicious. A small bowl of frozen grapes really takes the edge off for me.they just kind of melt....get a little squishy And they are good for you too!:flowerforyou:
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Eat as clean as possible. When you exercise and feed your body healthy foods, you stop craving the not so healthy foods. Sure I'll have a lava cake every now and again, or a K-Cup of hot cocoa, but for the most part, I don't ever get a craving for "junk" food. Sweets for me now consist of green grapes, they're sooooo sweet to me, or any other kind of fruit =] I suppose this could also be due to the fact that my Grampa had a huge garden when I was growing up and therefore I was raised on the freshest fruits and veggies. You should be proud though that you've made it this far, most have not and will not. It takes a lot of motivation, inspiration and self discipline to lead a healthy lifestyle when so many others are going the other way.