DOES ANYONE HAVE HEEL PAIN? WHAT EXCERSIDE DO U DO?

Options
I have very bad heel pain on my right foot. everytime i walk or workout it hurts..but if anyone has this what cardio alternatives do you do to get some cardio in? Please let me know...this has stalled me many many times...

Replies

• CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had horrible heel pain, Dr. diagnosed it as Plantar Fascitis. He said stretching (the calf), wearing a night splint thing, and rest....it worked. It took about 4 weeks. All I could do was stationary bike--anything else hurt too bad!! There are other kinds of heel pain though, you might think about getting it looked at so you know exactly what to do and not injure it more! Good luck!!
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    elliptical or exercise bike. if you can't walk or run try those where you don't have to worry about pressure on the foot. weight lifting is good too!
  • AkSwtHrt
    AkSwtHrt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I started working out, I had extreme pain in my toes and heels. I ended up buying new shoes specifically for working out that had better support as well as a good pair of walking shoes to wear at work since I am on my feet alot. This helped alot but the pain didn't go away so I went to the doctors. They told me I was I was flat footed and I needed better support in my shoes.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I developed Plantar Fasciitis or heel pain last year when I walked a long distance in my ballet flats. (Dumb Dumb Move!!!) I had pain like crazy - particularly as soon as I woke up in the morning and first stepped on the floor. I intermittently still have pain, but it's much much less often than I did.

My friend has Plantar Fasciitis and she swears by massage as a tool against this pain, but not everyone is able to do this. For me, as I've lost weight and begun to exercise more, the pain has diminished.

A doctor told me that a way to deal with this pain is to stretch your calf muscles or your hamstrings. It also helps to wear the right type of shoe or insert to cushion your heel.

Good luck! I know where you're coming from.
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had horrible heel pain, Dr. diagnosed it as Plantar Fascitis. He said stretching (the calf), wearing a night splint thing, and rest....it worked. It took about 4 weeks. All I could do was stationary bike--anything else hurt too bad!! There are other kinds of heel pain though, you might think about getting it looked at so you know exactly what to do and not injure it more! Good luck!!

Exactly what I was thinking, the main cause of Plantar Fascitis is running on cement, it's very common. Deep tissue calf & foot massage works great along with stretching (I'm a Massage Therapist & see this all the time). A good stretch is to rest your heal on the ground and point your toes upward and rest them on a step. Do this for 15 seconds 5 times, once or twice a day (twice when you work out)
  • dshorten
    dshorten Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I also have Plantar Faciitis, which is a bone spur in your heel. They are very painful and are hard to warm up at times, the calve muscle stretch, night splint are correct options if this is what you have and you can also try orthotics in your shoes to cushion the heel and make the arch of the foot higher. Sometimes strapping the foot can also help with bandages to support it. I agree with other member who states see a Dr about it first, for correct diagnosis of your problem. Good Luck!
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The plantar fascia stretch-

Sit barefoot in a chair. Place the ankle of the affected foot on the opposite knee. Using the hand on the same side as the affected foot,grab your toes.

Pull toes toward your shin until you feel a stretch in the arch of your foot.

Rub the thumb on the opposite hand along the bottom of your foot to test the stretch. You should be able to feel the cordlike plantar fascia along the length of your foot.

Hold the stretch for a count of 10. Repeat 10 times. Perform the exercise 3 x per day x 6 months.

This exercise was developed by a doctor of orthopedic surgery and a physiotherapist. I found it in Canadian Living magazine, in their health section.

I tried this and it really worked. heel pain gone !
  • j_talley8
    j_talley8 Posts: 11
    Options
    EVERYONE with heel pain aka plantar fascia...I am an RN with this and in my career just 8 hour shift of standing left me walking on my tip toes in the morning! I had to even make my schedule where my feet had a day of rest in between! i had tried most every other shoe out there for this! I did some research and mine was caused from having too high of an arch, my arch was falling and putting all of my weight on my heels, it would even physically bruise them! I tried all the stretches arch supports NOTHING helped...until...I bought my Danskos professionals, a bit costly about $80-$100 a pair but 100% worth it! The arch support is great a redistributes my weight to the center of my feet and not on my heels. Last week I worked 5 days straight and ended with 16hour workshift and when my feet hit the floor the next morning...NO pain at all! Truly amazed. Saved my love for my career!

Best thing about Danskos they have a ton of different shapes and styles and even tennis shoe inspired style now too! There next for my Dansko collection!
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete. I have finished my first Olympic triathlon race last summer ago. It did not happen so quickly as I describe it here you know.
    There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other.
    I have found taping very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises.
    I found a very informative website in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com
    Take care & Good luck
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also have Plantar Fascitis...my heel hurts so bad in the morning it almost gets me to tears. After a long day at work (manager at Walmart) sometimes it even hurts to drive. But even after putting orthodics into my shoes it still doesn't help...I wonder if me being flat footed hurts it even worse?

The doctor is talking about shots in the heel. Not sure if I wanna go that route.