Steel cut oats

Options
Anyone else make Steel cut oatmeal? It is SO DELISH! I'll never eat packet oatmeal or rolled oats again!!

I like mine with a bunch of cinnamon, diced up apple and a touch of brown sugar

Replies

• RockVixen
    RockVixen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just bought some yesterday because I read they were the healthiest option. I haven't tried them yet though. Now I am looking forward to it.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    thats exactly how i make mine! I sprinkle a little lemon juice on it too, tastes just like apple crisp!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I make it and add raisins and pecans, along with ground flax and cinnamon.
  • Rhiani
    Rhiani Posts: 9
    Options
    I just made some for the first time over the weekend - I made them in the slow cooker and added diced apples, dried cranberries, a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon. Both my husband and my son loved it and they have a nice healthy breakfast for the whole week.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    My trainer recommended steel cut oats to me, so I tried them. And sad to say, I really hated them! I was so disappointed because I love oatmeal! I don't know if I cooked it wrong or what but it reminded me of eating tiny little beads. Kind of like quinoa, which I also don't like =/ Glad you like them though!!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    agreed. they are super filling as well. cinnamon and some agave nectar syrup.
  • baabybabs
    Options
    I crush up 8 to 12 almonds depending on how hungry I feel, a teaspoon or so of brown sugar and a bunch of cinnamon. Love love love it.
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    Do you think you needed to use more water and cook them slower/ longer?

I tasted it as I cooked it (followed a recipe) and I had to add more water than it called for and make sure I cooked it slower (lower heat) so it wasn't 'beady'
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Wonderful!

Take it a step further??? Try oat groats! That's before any processing. Steel cut oats have been cut...can't imagine it's that big of a deal but for those who may find steel cut oats pricey...find a place to get oat groats!! They're a regular part of my breakfast. I make them w/1/2 whole milk and 1/2 water. I add natural yogurt, sometimes ground flax seed, local raw honey! YES, there have been times i was in the mood for cinnamon. They're so good hot or cold....boxed cereal was the last processed food item to go! We save so much money & it's sooo good for you!!!!! :D My endocrinologist just encouraged me last week to have 1 cup of oats before bed! What a treat! If it happens to fit in to the diet that day. Said it would help my energy level.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I use 4 cups water
    4 cups whole milk
    1 cup oat groats or if you are using steel cut oats

bring to a boil and simmer...takes about 40 min...they're yummy! Slow cooker on low but all night they may dry out, unless you add more liquid. I also make porridge w/wheat berry...add that to the oat groats. Watch the calories. Adds a nutty flavor and is high in iron.

yep, the first cereal ever!!! Oat porridge people! :D
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I love them.They are filling and good way to start the morning!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I mix 1/2 cup steel cut oats with 1/4 cup whole millet and 1/4 cup whole amaranth and cook until soft and measure out a half cup to eat. I then add a scoop of strawberry protein powder, 2 tbsp chia seeds and a quarter cup of my own homemade fruit sauce. This breakfast food can eat anytime of the day or evening as a meal or as a snack. It's so versatile and delicious!

Too the other nice thing about whole grains is that you don't have to keep them to a breakfast food. I often add whole grains to my protein pancakes, baked goods, homemade breads, lasagna & soups. I also often eat them in place of rice or pasta with a portion of protein and a large side salad.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I eat on the run a LOT so the packages of instant oatmeal are my usual choice... Also, i am a plain Jane...I don't want anything mixed in with my oatmeal( except maybe a teaspoon of Truvia) . I do plan to buy ( yet another) set of plastic Rubbermaid type bowls ( and this time hide from my husband and kids) so perhaps I can make the Steel cut oats at night and pack to take with me in the morning to eat at work.