how to judge calories burned

Options
Okay people need help on a few questions on trying to judge around how many calories I have burned on certain things I do.
Like:
I do crunches about 130 of them (6 days a week)
weights for tonning up for about 40 minutes (6 days a week)
Also at work for 6-1/2 hours a day I do nothing but bend, lift, stretch and pick up boxes from 5lbs-24lbs (5 days a week)
I also do the tred mill for 30 minutes at 3.6 speed and 7.5 incline which burns 435 calories. (6 days a week)
I am not trying to be exact I am just trying too figure out how many calories I am burning everyday

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

Sally

Replies

Options
    Okay people need help on a few questions on trying to judge around how many calories I have burned on certain things I do.
    Like:
    I do crunches about 130 of them (6 days a week)
    weights for tonning up for about 40 minutes (6 days a week)
    Also at work for 6-1/2 hours a day I do nothing but bend, lift, stretch and pick up boxes from 5lbs-24lbs (5 days a week)
    I also do the tred mill for 30 minutes at 3.6 speed and 7.5 incline which burns 435 calories. (6 days a week)
    I am not trying to be exact I am just trying too figure out how many calories I am burning everyday

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

Sally
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    work should already be included in your daily calorie/activity, shouldnt add that.

weight training can be found in the cardio area of the exercise log

treadmill-walking up hill
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good sites that can tell you how many calories you burn from doing a set of weights, etc. I wanted to mention that the 6.5 hours of constant moving you do at work should be accounted for in your profile. When you give your age, ht, wt, gender (and activity level), that is what it uses, along with your goal, to determine how many calories a day you need. So if you put down "very active" but then also log your work day as an exercise, you might be double-dipping. (your call)

For light weights, I usually do 300-400 calories for an hour. This includes 3 sets of 10 for about 6 different exercises.

PS - here's that site I used for some calorie info: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • davidhaxor
    Options
    use a heart rate monitor, calories burned is based off how much energy your body uses or 'burns' and the heart rate is the best indication, most HRM will track expediture calories.

i almost never count any weight lighting or work activitys, only anything that will make me sweat, running, cardio, sports, swimming,
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice.
    Sally
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I find i am more comfortable with my calorie output if i have a HRM on. It is the #1 best investment I have ever made.

Example:
    I just went the park and walk/jogged. I also did squats and pushups.
    When I put in 47 minutes at a fast walk, 15 min mile, it gave me 261 calories.

My HRM showed 396.

I know i worked harder than 261 calories, the HRM counts beats per minute, uses your height and weight, age. All of this in the calculations.