Just say no to Cardio!

Options
Removed due to negative comments received.

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA I stopped reading after "2. Cardio training on electronic equipment increases the risk of developing diabetes. Cardio training done on electric equipment such as electronic bikes has been shown to accelerate insulin resistance because of the exposure to dirty electricity. (Havas, 2008). "
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are trying to sell us something. No offence but what a load of rubbish. Cardio is bad for you? whatever.

I agree that you should do some weight training and some stretching exercising as well to get an even workout but to say cardio will give you diabetes......puh...leeese!

The key to losing weight is to keep active and eat weill. FACT

i mean....all these athletes cant be wrong can they.....sorry but iv never seen a fat man run the 100 meters in the olympics....?!!!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that a lot of people, especially women over due it on the cardio and their bodies produce too much cortisol. They basically fight their own bodies to lose weight and then wonder why they can't. I think moderation is key if you are going to do it and I also think that short, intense bouts are the best option.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So it's the "dirty electricity" that gives people diabetes, not a high-sugar diet, high body mass and heredity factors? Ban all treadmills! That probably means sitting in front of our computers posting on MFP is making us ill too, as is using our hair-dryers and sitting in an air-conditioned office. Run for the hills!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think the 100m is what they were recommending by doing short, intense work. Notice the people doing the 100m are not scrawning or skinning looking.
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    I got a pretty good laugh out of this...
    While it's recommended that you don't OVER exercise, because it does produce more stress on your body than good, running on a treadmill, or using any other type of electronic equipment, does not cause diabetes.
    I know people that have never seen electronic exercise equipment in their life that have diabetes. My husbands father was one of them. He was 100% Native American, born and died (of complications to diabetes) on the reservation.
    This person has posts in other categories as well with as much rubbish in them as well!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi folks - not trying to sell anyone anything - just passing on information - you can choose to take or leave it - but I thought that people struggling to lose weight by killing themselves doing hours of cardio (reading other posts - I can tell there's lots of you out there) might beneit from a different view from an expert. (not me - Poliquin)

Loving the debate though - we'll never find a once size fits all for any exercise or eating regime - but maybe we can share all we know so that others might find their own programme that works well for their bodies.

xx
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    I got a pretty good laugh out of this...
    While it's recommended that you don't OVER exercise, because it does produce more stress on your body than good, running on a treadmill, or using any other type of electronic equipment, does not cause diabetes.
    I know people that have never seen electronic exercise equipment in their life that have diabetes. My husbands father was one of them. He was 100% Native American, born and died (of complications to diabetes) on the reservation.
    This person has posts in other categories as well with as much rubbish in them as well!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    HAHAHA I stopped reading after "2. Cardio training on electronic equipment increases the risk of developing diabetes. Cardio training done on electric equipment such as electronic bikes has been shown to accelerate insulin resistance because of the exposure to dirty electricity. (Havas, 2008). "

I stopped reading too, then I went back and continued laughing. This is called a "theory". There are tons of theories about everything, including weight loss. I'm here to tell you that moving your butt is never going to make you fatter. I lost 30 lbs in high school by using the elliptical...and did not develop diabetes. Additionally, I do agree that people need to understand body mechanics better, and yes strength training is crucial. If you do not do cardio, however, your heart/lungs/etc will not keep up.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options

Love it. this is a THEORY. There are millions of theories on everything, including weight loss. I agree that weight training and strengthening is important, but moving your butt will never make you fatter.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I have to agree that saying treadmills "cause" diabetes is ridiculous, but I keep hearing more and more about the key to fitness and weight loss is high intensity interval training..Unless it is a fun class, like kickboxing, I don't want to do any long, steady state of cardio (like the treadmill) for an hour every day. I much rather do the interval training for 30 minutes and spend 30-45 min. 3x/week doing strength training..I think that there is some truth to what this post says, albeit, some is to the extreme..Look around the gym some time at the people on the treadmills and elipticals...you may see the same people there all the time and not see much change in the way they look...just saying...
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    LOL!! I just read this

"Coach Poliquin threw out a few dingers like: right hamstring pulls are a magnesium deficiency and left hamstring pulls are a potassium deficiency and this based on yin/yang theory."

This has to be so true because... a muscle can only be pulled by those things right??? What a FRUITCAKE!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    On further reading of the replies I'm quite dissappointed. I thought this was supposed to be a safe environment to share information. I wouldn't rubbish other peoples posts - unless you have scientifc proof that it's untrue.

The article states that "it can increase the risk of diabetes" not that it gives you diabetes.

Interesting that so many of you are so quick to attack an article so readily when I doubt that more than 1% of you are health professionals.

I thought that people on here would find more information useful to add to their arsenal in the fight against fat. But as there's not much respect for other people's views on here - I'll not bother again.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is good exercise with variety being the spice of life!

(and can all you fat marathon runners please step forward?)
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    Look... I'm not attacking you... but that article is a lot of rubbish. If you ask a scientist... everything causes cancer/diabetes/MS/multitudes of others. If "raw electricity" can cause diabetes, then why is it that not EVERYONE in a modern environment has it? We're all exposed to it every. single. day. for many many hours! Lighting, heating, air conditioning, microwaves, fridges, stoves, washers and dryers... heck! Stay at home moms would be the highest cases!!
    Tell me this... if "raw electric" can cause diabetes... then why 60 years ago, when we didn't know as much about electricity and electronics as we do now, we weren't seeing MUCH higher levels of diabetes?
    Sometimes you just have to look at the overall article and think to yourself "Does this REALLY make sense??"
    OVERDOING cardio is a bad idea... but by saying "don't do cardio" that's a way worse idea!
    Strength training... GREAT idea! Not doing cardio... not so good.
    See where I'm going here??
  • princess985
    Options
    Well I actually kind of agree with this from my own experience. I've been trying to lose weight for a year, trying all different kinds of stuff at the gym, and I could swear I did get slightly fatter when I was on the cardio machines the whole time (around an hour steady pace at a time). It frustrated me and left me in despair! And was a waste of time.
    I am now trying the whole yoga thing instead - I get enough stress from work, I dont need anymore cortisol floating around my body from stressing it out at the gym...
    But thats just me. .
  • princess985
    Options
    Well I actually kind of agree with this from my own experience. I've been trying to lose weight for a year, trying all different kinds of stuff at the gym, and I could swear I did get slightly fatter when I was on the cardio machines the whole time (around an hour steady pace at a time). It frustrated me and left me in despair! And was a waste of time.
    I am now trying the whole yoga thing instead - I get enough stress from work, I dont need anymore cortisol floating around my body from stressing it out at the gym...
    But thats just me. .
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I know you deleted it in your first post, but If it was an article by CHARLES Poliquin, a highly-regarded strength coach, can you repost the link?

I googled "Poliquin just say no to cardio" and came up with this article:
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/just-say-no-to-cardio/?p=1

I don't think there's anything controversial in there in regards to strength training.

I also agree with 4theking above
    I am a firm believer that a lot of people, especially women over due it on the cardio and their bodies produce too much cortisol. They basically fight their own bodies to lose weight and then wonder why they can't.

Doing tons of cardio to create a caloric deficit will work initially but body recomposition will stall due your body's adaptation. And they can't figure out why they can't lose add'l pounds. And yet think men are stubborn and dense ;-)
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    OP,
    I know you deleted it in your first post, but If it was an article by CHARLES Poliquin, a highly-regarded strength coach, can you repost the link?

I googled "Poliquin just say no to cardio" and came up with this article:
    http://imbodybuilding.com/articles/just-say-no-to-cardio/?p=1

I don't think there's anything controversial in there in regards to strength training.

I also agree with 4theking above
    I am a firm believer that a lot of people, especially women over due it on the cardio and their bodies produce too much cortisol. They basically fight their own bodies to lose weight and then wonder why they can't.

Doing tons of cardio to create a caloric deficit will work initially but body recomposition will stall due your body's adaptation. And they can't figure out why they can't lose add'l pounds. And yet think men are stubborn and dense ;-)

Can I ask about the cortisol thing? I've never heard of it before and am interested. What is, how is it produced and what would be classed as "overdoing it" on cardio workouts?

Many thanks :)