Just reached my goal... Now what?

Options
So today is the day that I have just gone below my weight goal i set for myself at the start.... I didn't have huge amounts to lose, just four kilos to get back to feeling ok about myself, but it has been slow going.... 200gms one week, 700gms the next, at least a couple of weeks of either no change or slight increase...

So it has taken about three months to lose the four kilos.... now I am there, what do I do? Counting calories and tracking food has become almost a way of life for me, and now that I don't actually need to lose any more... what do I do?

I don't think I have changed my guilty pleasures, or the way I reward myself.... infact i just gave myself a nice bowl of low fat icecream with rasberries and blueberries...

Don't get me wrong - I am REALLY happy to be at my goal weight... just don't know what to do now :)

Replies

• Rupeedoo
    Rupeedoo Posts: 46
    Options
    I think you can reset your target to maintain weight and it'll give you recommended a new calorie allowance.
    x
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thats what I was going to say too.

Well done for etting to your goal.:flowerforyou:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Maintain weight :-)
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    Congrats!!! now you can choose to either continue to lose, or to maintain!!!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great effort, well done! Keep it off now through a healthy regime...
  • mpullin
    mpullin Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations! Good health to you ..:)
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    well done, you can set to maintain, I've been doing that for 4 weeks now and still log everything cos I find maintaining the hardest bit ;-)
  • NeenaMD
    NeenaMD Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi! First and foremost, congratulations on the weight loss and reaching your goal! As we all know, no matter how much you're trying to lose, it's not always easy and persistence is key.

Now that you're at your goal, I think what some of the other responders said is spot on. Reset your goal (which would be what you weigh now) and follow the plan according to the new stats.

One piece of advice I would add is to continue tracking/journaling and using MFP as a resource. I only say this because of my experience. I was using a different weight-loss program, reached goal and soon after got complacent. I didn't track as consistently during maintenance as I did during the time when I was actively trying to lose weight, and I watched the number on the scale go up slowly but surely. And now I'm back to square one.

Just keep your food journal going as a way of being accountable and aware of what you're eating. It's amazing how quickly those small bites, licks and tastes add up!! Good luck!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Keep exercising and eating healthy. Just change your goal from lose to maintain. Congrats!
  • velvettte
    velvettte Posts: 14
    Options

I have changed the setting to 'maintain - though it seems like such a huge jump in calories! I will keep up the food journal as, yes, I feel like I am accountable then (been many a time I have thought of NOT adding something to my journal.... but I keep being honest).

BTW - exactly how many calories IS in a lick of the ice cream scoop, used to give the kids ice cream????? ;-) Or the tiny bit of butter and jam left on the knife after making the kids toast?....lol
  • bethymay123
    Options
    LOL! thats my issue too. How do you log the tastes you have to see if you have spiced a dish enough. When you lick the knife after makingPB&J sandwiches for the kiddos.

Keep up the great work.
  • NeenaMD
    NeenaMD Posts: 23
    Options
    To the BLT (bite, licks, tastes) question, I typically give items a flat 10-20 calorie rate, depending on what it is. Like a lick of ice cream - 20 calories for every lick. Not like a spoonful of ice cream, but just whatever's left on the spoon if I'm serving it to someone else. Jam? Maybe only 10, since a serving is less calories. I'm sure this method is not exact, but when I start to think about or see 80 calories for four quick tastes of ice cream in my journal, that's usually enough to get me to stop!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!