Green Tea - Is it really as good as they claim?

Options
Hi everybody,

I have heard contradictions about green tea? Apparently it speeds up your metabolism and helps you lose weight and makes you exercise longer. Others have said that you would need to drink stupid amounts to get any effect. What does everyone think/know about Green Tea?

Is it worth it?

Replies

• evedavies
    evedavies Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this as well
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know but can't see any harm in drinking it – it's certainly got to be better than tea or coffee loaded with caffeine, sugar and milk! :o)
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I am a totally believer!!!! I even worked into swapping green tea for my coffee. Yeah, I probably drink 4-6 cups over the course of the day BUT when I skip I find myself so much hungrier.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I take a green tea supplement, I noticed in the past that about after a week of NOT taking how sluggish I become.. so I'm a true believer of green tea! A supplement is much easier to take then drinking a bunch of tea
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    a girl who is on my friends list uses it and she says it has helped her alot. but she doesnt drink it b/c u would need to drink like 14 cups a day. she gets the liquid gel caps at Walmart.
    Ive not tried it yet but either way it cant hurt I guess. Drinking it would help get in water for the day
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I drink it with a bit of cinnamon, which is also renowned for helping with weight loss, and it improves (to my taste) the flavour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea
  • imocurry
    imocurry Posts: 1
    Options
    It does speed up your metabolism, about 4 cups a day will do this.
    It also contains loads of antioxidants.
    I swear by green tea!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes its great for you. It will increase your metabolism.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I use the soft gels from CVS. I just started taking them this week after being off for awhile. I definitely have more energy and strangely enough, my water consumption has doubled.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. I find it's a nice cleanser for my kidneys and general well-being.
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I recommend a supplement or macha green tea powder added to smoothies etc.
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here's an article about a study done on men using green tea capsules, http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/green-tea-weight-loss.aspx
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I like it, if it does nothing else it will increase your fluid intake for the day :)
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    it does take quite a few cups of brewed green tea to get metabolism boosting benefits, but that isn't the only plus of drinking it. Matcha powder, which I am on a hunt to find, is more concentrated and is a powder made from ground tea leaves. It doesn't take as much to consume to get the metabolic effects. And another point, the bottled cold green teas aren't much benefit although they are better than most other soft drinks.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there was a supplement available. I will check that out.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    it does take quite a few cups of brewed green tea to get metabolism boosting benefits, but that isn't the only plus of drinking it. Matcha powder, which I am on a hunt to find, is more concentrated and is a powder made from ground tea leaves. It doesn't take as much to consume to get the metabolic effects. And another point, the bottled cold green teas aren't much benefit although they are better than most other soft drinks.

I don't know if you have a Costco anywhere near you, but their Kirkland brand does a very nice green tea which has matcha powder in it as well as tea leaves. Its not crazy expensive either. I love it :D
  • Cbeth80
    Cbeth80 Posts: 49
    Options
    From what I read it is extrememly beneficial. I have gotten on the bandwagon myself, so far I have noticed any signigicant difference (but then again, I do not drink it as often as I should, the taste is not that great to me and i actually hate tea...). So I add Agave Nectar or Stevia for sweetener. You should have one cup in the morning and another by midday. It also depends on the brand you buy. I think alot of people get the tea that has the extra flavors, which can also add calories and may deprive you of some of the necessary benefits. Try Unle Lee's it is 100% organic and fairly cheap for a large box of 100 bags, they also sell it at Wal Mart. It can't hurt, so go for it!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am going to start taking this. In fact I am picking some up tomorrow.