Constipation

Options
Since eating healthier I have noticed vegetables and greens cause me to become costipated even though I am consuming loads of fiber according to my nutriention log. Any suggestions on how to prevent this.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would tell me too! I think it's just smaller quantities of food don't move as quick through the body and (gross) fat used to , err, lubricate proceedings.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    More water!!!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I know too much protein (powder?) without proper amount of water causes constipation.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    fiber is bulk in your stool and is only as good as the amount of water you drink to flush it out of your system; therefore, increase your water intake by almost double and you should find your stool turns from a solid fibrous mass to a more loose texture. voila! no more constipation.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Fiber and water...hopefully that will help alleviate the problem.
  • luvslife2
    luvslife2 Posts: 15
    Options
    :happy: I had the same problem too. It's really important to drink lots of water. I was doing this and still had a problem. I eat oatmeal for breakfast, so I added 2 tbsp of wheat germ, it did the trick. I was going to try metamucil if that didn't. From what I read on the boards and what I experienced...it seems to be a change our body goes through when we start to eat better! But drinking your daily intake of water and more is really important, can't stress that enough.
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have always suffered with constipation....so know all there is to know!!

The more fibre you eat the more you need to drink. Fibre essentially bulks out your poos (sorry!) but if you don;t drink water with it they will just be dry and get stuck!!

x
  • promiseskept
    Options
    Haa haa! I am glad I am not the only one.
    I think the fatty foods I ate before made me 'go' more and I am used to going potty more often.
    Prunes and juice, apple juice and just a little mineral oil (tasteless) added to your drink, are few natural 'helpers'.
  • dartany
    dartany Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am consuming about 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day. I already drink about 9 glasses of water a day also...is this not enough?
  • grandmaJMB
    grandmaJMB Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Water, Water and more water.... Also ground flax seeds added to your salad or smoothie
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I first changed my diet it happened to me as well. I bought a certian tea from the GNC and it worked great. I'm sorry I can't think of the name of it.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Lots and lots of water. I also use stool softeners, magnesium supplements, and glycerine suppositories when needed. I'm having this problem really terribly right now because I quit smoking. I don't know why that affects things so much. I think any change causes this problem and it just takes time and patience to correct itself.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    it will take your body a little while to adjust to the healthier way of eating. try to always go way over on your fiber count as this will help resolve the problem along with loads of water. also a good dieter's tea will help every once in a while. i use Laci Le Beau's super dieter's tea cleanse. it's caffeine free and has not been harsh to my system like some of them can be. the one food that i have found that helps my body the most is fresh spinach. i make spinach salads all the time.

hope this helps you out a little.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    it will take your body a little while to adjust to the healthier way of eating. try to always go way over on your fiber count as this will help resolve the problem along with loads of water. also a good dieter's tea will help every once in a while. i use Laci Le Beau's super dieter's tea cleanse. it's caffeine free and has not been harsh to my system like some of them can be. the one food that i have found that helps my body the most is fresh spinach. i make spinach salads all the time.

hope this helps you out a little.

I use that tea a few times a week. It helps flush out sodium too when I add a little lemon to it.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just a few cups of hot tea will help out loads :) any kind.

I've found it helps more than cold water does. Don't have a scientific explanation for it. Perhaps because it's warm it helps mix everything together in your stomach? Hmm. Anyway, important thing is it works.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    More water!!!

Could not agree more!! Half your body weight in ounces of water a day for proper hydration. NO REALLY this will help. If still not moving I would suggest Herbal Aloe...This is where i get mine (http://www.shopherbalife.com/catalog/catalog.jsp?dsext=youlighter&pid=828043&start=null&cid=620966&LocaleSelect=en_US&_requestid=41117 ) One bottle will make a gallon. Drink it until you go. DO NOT PUSH AND PUSH this may cause a condition known as Diverticulitis. Look it up; its nasty. Also, if you are not going at least once a day you need to be. Optimal is 2-3 times!

Bombs away!!! (too much?),
    YOULIGHTER!
  • dartany
    dartany Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had to inform everyone who sugguested more water were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. I really concentrated on my water intake yesterday and I had about 8 or 9 glasses. GUESS WHAT....I HAVE ALREADY POOPED TWICE THIS MORNING AND ITS NOT EVEN NOON YET. FELT GREAT SMOOTH, SOFT, AND BULKY. WAY TO GO INTESTINAL TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Remember to adjust your water intake according to exercise and weather....lower humidity you need to drink more!!