knees hurting from running days later

Options
my knees hurt so bad from workingout. i last worked out ont uesday. and this is morning its like i cant walk. i have good running shoes too. what should i do?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Just stretch today and take some pain reliever. I hope you haven't injured yourself. If your pain is bad, you should probably see your doc to make sure you haven't injured yourself. My knees get achey when I run on my sidewalks around my house. I just don't think it's the best surface to run on.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i have bad knee days sometimes but i notice it's when i wear higher heals
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Most of the runners I work on in my practice have issues with the IT band and Adductor muscles. IT band is the outside of the thigh and adductor's on the inside..just in case you were not aware. Best way to address this on your own and relatively cheaply is the buy an foam roller. You can roll the inside and outside of your legs to break up any knots of adhesive facial material. If these muscles are too tight they can pull your knees into a off balance state and you would be running on a sense crooked knees and putting excessive pressure on your meniscus in your knees. Keep me posted on how they are feeling and I can give you some other suggestions.
  • curlygirl73
    Options
    I have noticed my knees have been hurting as well. I thought it was due to me getting older. LOL! I think I have good running shoes but maybe that is the problem. Can anyone recommend a good pair or brand? Kendallan, what a pretty name I hope you haven't injured yourself. You may try taking a good soak in Epson Salt old remedy and still works! Good luck to you.
  • amber152
    amber152 Posts: 1
    Options
    How much have you been running and where are you running? If you are just starting or getting back into it, there are several factors that may cause your knees to hurt. Also, are you running in cold weather? I agree with taking pain relievers and stretching. Also, you may want to ice.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I iced my knees 15 min/hr for a few hours daily, used a compression brace both during and after running and the problem is mostly gone. Also some strength training helps to support those joints. BTW, sidewalks, usually made of concrete, are about the worst surface to run on as concrete is completely unforgiving for your joints.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my knees hurt so bad from workingout. i last worked out ont uesday. and this is morning its like i cant walk. i have good running shoes too. what should i do?

What type of running shoes do you have? My first pair of running shoes were "good" but I got shin splints, knee problems, and stress fractures in my feet. I use the Mizuno Wave Creation series. They're fabulous!

As far as you knee, you might try running with a cho pat strap around your knee. It helps with runner's and jumper's knee. I would try that first. Btw, it's a very comfortable strap.
  • Tonya79
    Tonya79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem yesterday, I wrapped with an ace bandage, did a low impact workout and iced with elevation off and on all day. I could work through the pain with the support of the ace, I think I just need to build knee strength. If yours is hurting really bad...rest it as much as possible today. I am feeling great after taking it easy yesterday.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I take 2000 IUs of Vitamin D every night with a meal or snack. I no longer wake up with the knee pain that I was experiencing. I do, however, still get sore while working out in the knees but I also injured my MCL and suffered from septic arthritis in all my joints for a month because of a staph infection in my blood. I'm told that my knee pain is just something I have to get a handle on for myself. I've learned my limits but have found that getting some of this extra weight off has helped in many ways! G'luck to you. It wouldn't hurt to get a dr's opinion before you do seriously injure yourself.
  • Khodge00
    Khodge00 Posts: 1
    Options
    When I've coached people in the past on this, there are several things you need to look for:

1) Have high quality shoes. When you say you have "good shoes", were they shoes fitted to you by a professional running store, in which they watched you run and determined the structure of your foot, pronation, and stride strike? If not, then you really need to buy a pair from a running store that can specifically gauge your foot needs.
    2) How is your form? You should be standing straight (vertical line between ears and hips), knees should be pushing forward instead of pumping up and down, feet should be landing mid-foot (not ball or heel), arms loose and at 90 degree angle and pumping straight (not across body), shoulder should be relaxed and pulled down, hands loose and not balled, and stride not too long.
    3) Are you pushing your mileage or speed too quickly? If you are just starting to run and are trying for 3 miles or have started trying to shave time off, your joints and ligaments/tendons are not accustomed to it yet. Take it easy, and run no faster than you can comfortably hold a conversation. Only increase mileage by no more than 10% per week. Speed increases should wait until you have conditioned yourself to the mileage you would like to obtain.
    4) What surface are you running on? Pavement is going to be harder than a track. Treadmills can also be harder of your joints due to the flatness and induced speed. If you using a treadmill, change the incline to 1% to mimic outside. You may need to run in the streets instead of the sidewalks. Asphalt has a little more cushion than concrete.
    5) Are you sleeping, taking your vitamins, and eating properly? Not fueling or resting correctly will cause injuries. Your body is a machine. It needs fuel to run properly. Try running a car on and gas tank with just fumes.
    6) Are you overtraining? You need at least 1 day of rest per week, preferably 2 days if you are a runner. It's best to start out with 3X per week and work up to it. Additionally, do not solely run. Try to work in 1-2 days a week where instead of a run, you
    do some form of cross-training (elliptical, weights, yoga, pilates, etc.)

Also....when injured or hurting, take an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, not tylenol) and do RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Hope this helps!
  • jkleman79
    Options
    yes I have mentioned on here before also and its a key in healing of anything sore on the body...RICE Rest Ice Compression Elevation. This is for joints, muscles anything... I have some tricks for swelling also if anyone wants the info.. for feet hands etc.
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    wow. thanks everyone. i think my issue is i push myself hard going from running 0 miles to running 3 miles
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi Kendallan,
    You may need to rest a little. Have you tried icing? I found out a couple months ago that my knee pain came from having a Moderate Pronation in my feet, so now I have to wear insoles. The insoles have helped ALOT and I can now workout without a Knee Brace. Just my two cents. Hope you feel better soon.
  • jkleman79
    Options
    deema...just a suggestion. Make sure you are not wearing the braces or insoles ALL the time. A brace helps and is good for what they are made for... excessive use of a brace of support for your body causes your muscles and joints to lose stability since it doesnt have to anymore. So as everything else ...moderation.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    rest days in between:smile:
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    deema...just a suggestion. Make sure you are not wearing the braces or insoles ALL the time. A brace helps and is good for what they are made for... excessive use of a brace of support for your body causes your muscles and joints to lose stability since it doesnt have to anymore. So as everything else ...moderation.

I need to find a better brace for my knee, sprained a ligament a few months ago and ruptured a bakers cyst. . .I use my brace for when I'm on my feet all the time(dog events on the weekend) or when I'm jogging. . knee is feeling much better, but i get days where it hurts.
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks Jkleman. You sound like my husband.(its a good thing) lol :smile:
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! my boss is a triahtlete and she is training me a little. Be sure to land on the ball of your foot. Use the ball of your foot to push you off each step. I also wear a knee brace on each knee but only because I am 50 years old and still 15 or so pounds over weight. Hang in there and best wishes!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you run, you definitely should find a running store near you and get the advice from them. Yes, it's more expensive. But they are generally runners themselves and can assess your running step (over pronation, under pronation) and even what shoes are best for stability or cushioning, depending on your gait and preference. There are even shoes that do better for lighter or heavier runners! REALLY! If you can, find some runners in your area and see what store/staff that they recommend. Good luck!!
    I have noticed my knees have been hurting as well. I thought it was due to me getting older. LOL! I think I have good running shoes but maybe that is the problem. Can anyone recommend a good pair or brand? Kendallan, what a pretty name I hope you haven't injured yourself. You may try taking a good soak in Epson Salt old remedy and still works! Good luck to you.