hypothyroid people

jaydensmommy2010
jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I wanted to share this website with any of you guys having trouble losing weight (like myself.)

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/eatingenough.htm

While you'll run across an occasional expert who recommend extremely low-calorie diets for weight loss with hypothyroidism, the majority of experts believe you may not be eating enough to maintain your metabolism. Dropping calories too low can lower your metabolism and send your body into "hoard" mode -- a process which thyroid patients are particularly susceptible to and which can offset weight loss efforts and keep you from success at your diet.

Personally, when I want to lose weight, going on a 1200 calorie or less per day diet is a sure-fire way to ensure that I don't lose a pound. And if you're dieting your heart out, and not getting anywhere, the problem may not be that you're eating too much -- you may be eating too little, and not in the right balance.

I found this on that website, there is a calculator on there also. I wonder if this is correct?

Replies

• thank you for the website. i actually dont have my thyroid anymore and have to take synthroid and i have been noticing that my hands are doing the weird numb thing. this'll help me figure out if it is the food.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Thanks, I have a slight higher level which results in Subclinical Hypothyroidisum (whre my T3 & T4 are good, but my TSH is high).. It was a 5.1 and is now 2.9, I just uped my dose from 50mcg to 62mcg to get that below 2.5....

This is telling me to lose weight I need to eat 2981.81 calories per day?!?! hmmmmmmm..... MFP says 1400??

Any professional opinions on this?
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    I'm hypothyroid, taking synthriod and I've thought that with synthroid, my thyroid is running "normal"? I'm going to check out the website, thanks for posting! :)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    can you elaborate on the 'weird numb thing'? I also take synthroid (well, levothyroxine, which i guess is the generic one?), and have noticed my hands feel weird sometimes. I asked my dr about it and got 'sometimes our bodies just do weird things, don't worry about it' as a response. I'm now wondering if maybe its related to the medication (never occurred to me until i read your post)
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Sorry to butt in, but my hands get "numb" too. I heard that it can bring on carple tunnel like symptoms. My thumbs would always hurt and I just thought it was from opening up several jars of baby food a day for my baby haha. But then after reading about this it is a symptom of hypothyroid.
    can you elaborate on the 'weird numb thing'? I also take synthroid (well, levothyroxine, which i guess is the generic one?), and have noticed my hands feel weird sometimes. I asked my dr about it and got 'sometimes our bodies just do weird things, don't worry about it' as a response. I'm now wondering if maybe its related to the medication (never occurred to me until i read your post)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Also, just checked out that website, it says my calories should be nearly 250 more than MFP. Which would people with experience on here recommend?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member

My hands go numb too... often feels like they are sleeping? .... and this happened before I was diagnosed, but don't know how long I had it, as I was tested for it in 2008 and my levels were normal.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    I am having a VERY hard time losing a single pound. How many calories are you all eating a day? A ton of sites say to eat a lot more than 1200. Its only been 2-3 weeks since starting synthroid so I know it takes time, but still!!!! I should be losing something right?!!?
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Thanks, I have a slight higher level which results in Subclinical Hypothyroidisum (whre my T3 & T4 are good, but my TSH is high).. It was a 5.1 and is now 2.9, I just uped my dose from 50mcg to 62mcg to get that below 2.5....

This is telling me to lose weight I need to eat 2981.81 calories per day?!?! hmmmmmmm..... MFP says 1400??

Any professional opinions on this?

haha I know I was told a VERY high number too!!!
  • salad37
    salad37 Posts: 30 Member
    hi, i started my weightloss new year and managed the first stone within the first month, during month 2 i never lossed a pound and that was because i was only eating 800-900 cal a day yet burning off about 500 on the treadmill 5 out of 7 days a week, i also started having trouble sleeping and was irratable etc, then beginning of march i had a weekend away, drank a few pints of beer lol and ate a few bad meals and managed to loose a couple of pounds,, think it kick started my metbolim back in and mow its coming back off steadily, and i am sticking to 1200 cals a day xx so yes its true x
  • jaydensmommy2010
    hi, i started my weightloss new year and managed the first stone within the first month, during month 2 i never lossed a pound and that was because i was only eating 800-900 cal a day yet burning off about 500 on the treadmill 5 out of 7 days a week, i also started having trouble sleeping and was irratable etc, then beginning of march i had a weekend away, drank a few pints of beer lol and ate a few bad meals and managed to loose a couple of pounds,, think it kick started my metbolim back in and mow its coming back off steadily, and i am sticking to 1200 cals a day xx so yes its true x

haha that is funny how that worked for you! Well I ate a huge greasy cheeseburger last night, so maybe I will lose weight??? hahah I have been normally eating around 1200-1300 calories and exercising 5 or 6 times a week and nothing is coming off..
  • jaydensmommy2010
    I also have no idea how long I have had this problem. Maybe it started after I had a baby, maybe not? I have no idea..
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Thank you for posting this! I have been hypo/hyper for over 10 years. My meds change frequently and I am constantly watching my weight flucuate. After gaining weight with my second daughter then not taking any of it off I ended up 70+ over my goal weight. When I discussed diet plans with my doctor he suggest The Zone - a combination of protein, carbs, and fat that balance out and eating 5-6 small meals per day. When I eat with the correct ratios I have felt AWESOME and have lost a ton of weight - 40 lbs. This has been the best for me even though I am still having to change my dosage of synthroid and am taking Cytomel as well.

I don't know about the calculator - it seems too high. Instead I calculate my BMR which tells me to eat around 1350 calories for my 130 lbs. I ALWAYS eat those calories and when I get in at least 30 mins of cardio/strength a day I will lose about a pound or two per week.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Thank you for posting this! I have been hypo/hyper for over 10 years. My meds change frequently and I am constantly watching my weight flucuate. After gaining weight with my second daughter then not taking any of it off I ended up 70+ over my goal weight. When I discussed diet plans with my doctor he suggest The Zone - a combination of protein, carbs, and fat that balance out and eating 5-6 small meals per day. When I eat with the correct ratios I have felt AWESOME and have lost a ton of weight - 40 lbs. This has been the best for me even though I am still having to change my dosage of synthroid and am taking Cytomel as well.

I don't know about the calculator - it seems too high. Instead I calculate my BMR which tells me to eat around 1350 calories for my 130 lbs. I ALWAYS eat those calories and when I get in at least 30 mins of cardio/strength a day I will lose about a pound or two per week.

Like I said I am so sorry if this is not accurate information but I saw this and wanted to share and get someone else's opinion.
    My BMR says 1600 which I have not been close to eating that number because everything you see is for "normal" people who don't have this problem. So everything says eat 1200-1400 calories to lose weight. Well this obviously isn't working at all for me!!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Like I said I am so sorry if this is not accurate information but I saw this and wanted to share and get someone else's opinion.
    My BMR says 1600 which I have not been close to eating that number because everything you see is for "normal" people who don't have this problem. So everything says eat 1200-1400 calories to lose weight. Well this obviously isn't working at all for me!!
    [/quote]

I would try eating up to 1500- 1600 calories and not eat exercise cal. gained. Also check out the book The Zone by Berry Sears. Some of his ideas is to take fish oil supplements - I don't. I try to stick to unprocessed food for the most part and just get my meals balanced for protein, carbs, fat. I am able to track in MFP which helps me so much! If you are feeling sluggish I would ask your doctor about Cytomel. It's a T3 drug. It has made a big difference in my energy level. If you haven't researched already. Synthroid is a T4 drug which which works for your long term energy - 6 weeks. T3 is your short term energy - 4 hours. I have been taking Cytomel twice a day for over a year and if I miss a dose I can feel myself becoming sluggish, tired, and lazy.

Good luck in finding what is best for you. Friend me if you want.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Hi, I'm new here so bare with me - this may or may not help you.

I started my exercise and diet plan exactly 4 weeks ago, and as you can see (if my ticker shows) I've lost 8 lbs, so about 2 lbs a week. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 months after giving birth to my son in April 2010 (almost a year ago) after gaining 18 lbs back since his birth.

Starting 4 weeks ago I decided to get my healthy self back - and what I've been following the same healthy plan that I did when I was at my fittest pre-baby.

I eat 6 small meals a day. For example... 1. speciak k satisfaction and 1% milk with a banana 2. yogourt and blueberries 3. soup, 1 pieces of whole grain bread, 1/3 of a cucumber sliced 4. 1 packet of instant berries omega-3 oatmeal and a cup of milk 5. one serving of meat, one serving of rice or potato, 1-2 servings of veggies 6. 1 piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter

That might look like a lot of food to people who are "dieting' but take notice my portion control and how often I eat! This reves up the metabolism. Eating balanced meals along with my strength training routine (I have yet to add some moderate cardio - will be doing that this week) has allowed me to lose 2 lbs a week - all while having hypothyroidism and taking synthetic thyroid hormone.

Hope that helps a little! :)
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Hi, I'm new here so bare with me - this may or may not help you.

I started my exercise and diet plan exactly 4 weeks ago, and as you can see (if my ticker shows) I've lost 8 lbs, so about 2 lbs a week. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 months after giving birth to my son in April 2010 (almost a year ago) after gaining 18 lbs back since his birth.

Starting 4 weeks ago I decided to get my healthy self back - and what I've been following the same healthy plan that I did when I was at my fittest pre-baby.

I eat 6 small meals a day. For example... 1. speciak k satisfaction and 1% milk with a banana 2. yogourt and blueberries 3. soup, 1 pieces of whole grain bread, 1/3 of a cucumber sliced 4. 1 packet of instant berries omega-3 oatmeal and a cup of milk 5. one serving of meat, one serving of rice or potato, 1-2 servings of veggies 6. 1 piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter

That might look like a lot of food to people who are "dieting' but take notice my portion control and how often I eat! This reves up the metabolism. Eating balanced meals along with my strength training routine (I have yet to add some moderate cardio - will be doing that this week) has allowed me to lose 2 lbs a week - all while having hypothyroidism and taking synthetic thyroid hormone.

Hope that helps a little! :)

thank you that helps a lot! I'm just now starting the 6 meals a day which I have never done. I always ate like 2 meals a day so its a little different for me eating all day!
This discussion has been closed.