Fitbit vs. HRM

Options
I am still researching options before I purchase. I am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of the Fitbit vs. HRM. I'm reading that a lot of people use both. Why? I am only buying one or the other, and I'm wondering which to start with. I LOVE, LOVE the discreetness of the fitbit...no excuse not to wear it. A big HRM around my wrist isn't always practical. But beyond the aesthetics, what are the specifics in regards to the functionalities?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for all day use, only for exercise where your HR is elevated. I beleive the Fitbit is like a Bodybug which gives you calories burned throughout the day, but don't quote me on that.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I have a fitbit that I wear everyday. The fitbit is geared towards monitoring your everyday activity level while a HRM is geared toward monitoring just your workout.

If you want to micromanage your exercise calories burned, then go for the HRM. If you want to look "bigger picture" and monitor your daily activity level, then go with the fitbit.
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyBugg that I compared to Fitbit and HRM before choosing it. The reason I got the BB was because, like the FitBit, I can wear it all the time, even to sleep, and get the EXACT amount of calories I'm burning. (Not just during workouts like a HRM.) The Fitbit seemed to me like more of a fancy pedometer. It only judges calories by motion, whereas BB uses skin sensors, body heat, perspiration and motion. I'm seriously in love with this thing. It is NOT, however, discreet. You wear it on your upper arm all the time so unless it's covered with long sleeves, it's very noticeable and people will ask you about it, guaranteed. It's fun to make stuff up about what it is tho ;) I'm blogging about my BB experience because I've been asked a lot about how it works and how things are going, so feel free to check it out if you like.
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Here is the FAQ's from the FitBit website.http://www.fitbit.com/faq#howaccurate
    From what I have read on both, the fitbit is more for daily activity level. Also is a great pedometer, but just estimates your calories burned, which this website can also estimate your calories burned. HRM's are used more for workouts, but are more accurate on your calories burned while exercising because its based off your stat's and your heart rate (at least those with a chest strap). Hope this helps!! I personally have a Polar HRM and love it! I just recently learned about the FITBIT and am looking into getting one where I will be walking alot this summer and would like to know distances and steps and it seems to be more accurate than any pedometer out there. Also the activity level would be nice to know to, my HRM has one the tracks it during your workouts and I really like that feature. Good Luck!
  • Heatherly30
    Heatherly30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback you all! I will be going with a fitbit. While I am trying to get in a good workout daily, as a stay at home mom, some of my "workouts" involve daily cleaning and upkeep. The Bodybugg definitely sounds like the top of the line equipment, but knowing me, I would get annoyed with its size and placement. Thanks for all of the feedback!