leg pains ( shin splints) making my work outs not 100%

Options
So i've purchased new running shoes about two weeks ago and now the pains aren't when/while i run, but after. And the day after....

Its really bringing me down :sad:

I love to get a good run in but then i'm feeling it all night. plus i dont think it can be good poppin this much motrin all the time.

I went into one of those running stores thinking maybe they could suggest something, but the guy was really cocky and was like "why would we help some one who's going to buy shoes off the internet when we could have been helping some one else here?"

Jerk!

any way, i ice when i can and "try" to take it easy if they are extra pain full, but then i get discouraged that my work out wasn't 100%

any thoughts on other things that i could do?? take extra vitamins? ware Some type of sock??? ANYTHING?

AND now to top it off, they are effecting my zumba too :grumble:

i love my cardio and dont wanna give it up

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When you run or exercise, make sure you're not on your toes. Hit your heels on the ground first, this helps prevent shin splints. I know you can wrap them to make them feel better - research online and find some remedies.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Try running on softer surfaces - track field, ground and not pavement.....Also doing shin/calve strengthening exercise will help the muscles and the bones to develop to support the pounding. Make sure you are always stretching before and after. Try to lay off the running and switch to elliptical or a bike to let your shins recover. They could also be affected by how you put your foot down if you over pronate........you could be getting shin splints from the pressure not being properly distributed up your bone when you land on your foot, so proper shoes, orthodic inserts or foot arch bend may be helpful :) Good Luck! Don't give up on working out though!!!!
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    I'm definitely not a certified expert or anything, but I used to get those exact same pains and there is actually A LOT you can do to help. It just takes a little research and focus on changing things. There are some great articles to start you off on ACTIVE.COM Type in "SHIN SPLINTS" and it will bring up some articles you can read there. I suffered from them bad last year and finally told a trainer about it and his recommendations were: New Shoes, different stride when I run, and calf/leg exercises. For the exercises (I don't know if you have a gym membership) but at every gym there is a calf raise machine of some sort... point your toes towards eachother and do calf raises. This strengthens your shin muscles. You don't need a machine though. While you watch tv, during commercials, stand up, point your toes together and tippy toe up and down until your show comes back on. Next, your shins are aching because you are a heel striker. Try to be a neutral striker, check this out: http://www.runningwitheric.com/video/run-form-foot-strike-video

There is a whole movement amongst runners now for "Minimal Shoes" Trust me, they change everything about running for the better. A great site to learn more is www.birthdayshoes.com If you want to read about running injuries and how they can be prevented, my favorite books are "Born To Run" (you will LOVE this book), and "ChiRunning". Change your form, change your shoes, build all leg muscles (lifting isn't just for men!), and you'll be running pain free in no time. Good luck!
  • oneplusdog
    oneplusdog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They are horrid and so painful. I went through a spell when I kept getting them, randomly it seemed. Once they start, stop exercising and rest your legs. There are exercises and stretching you can do to help (extending your toes and reverse extensions / walking on your heals). Youtube has some great examples.

Some shoes and walking boots always seemed to give me shin splints. I think it's the impact that does it, so low impact exercises - bike or elliptical are brilliant. But when you start to get them, stop exercising or you can do yourself a real mischief.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I went into one of those running stores thinking maybe they could suggest something, but the guy was really cocky and was like "why would we help some one who's going to buy shoes off the internet when we could have been helping some one else here?"

Jerk!

My response would have been, "Well, with an attitude like that, I certainly won't buy shoes here in the future!" You're right... what a jerk!

In any case, I also suffer from shin splits and I get really bummed when my workouts are impeded by it! I wish I had a more helpful solution, but the ideas mentioned prior sound helpful.

Shannon
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My son comes home from Track practice every day and puts ice on his shins because of this, is this not a good thing to do? I didn't see anyone mention it?
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Icing your shins is completely fine and will help. My best remedy to fix them/prevent them (that I got from someone on this sight, not sure who though) is to point your toes and write out the alphabet with your toes. Do it three times, preferably every day. It helps a lot and will really stretch them out. Other than that, your best bet is to take it easy until they heal
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    thanks every one :) I know a lot of this is from my super high arches and i should be trying to "learn" to run differently.....its like telling some one to correct the they walk, or chew their food....its just hard...lol
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Some good advice, I will be sharing with my son, and I will know what to do to hopefully prevent them when I start running.