Veggies

Options
I'm needing some new ideas. What are your favorite vegetables and how do you like to eat them?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I love to pan fry zucchini and grape tomatoes with a drop of olive oil,so yummy!
    baked sweet potatoes are awesome too.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Almost every veggie tastes delcious roasted. (Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, even califlower)
    And with spring upon us, the same is true for grilled veggies ! Spray with a little olive oil and shake some Mrs Dash on them for extra flavor -- but plain is good too!

But my current winter favorite lunch is baked sweet potatoe, with a little cooked brown rice and black beans and corn mixed into the flesh and sprinkle a tiny amount of gorgonzola crumbles on top of each half (really, just a small amount is needed). Yummy!
  • BrandyHuff
    Options
    Asparagus with garlic and a squeeze of lemon.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I love edamame - steamed with a dash of sea salt (perfect snack in front of hte TV), I also love fresh veggies...any and all veggies...but if I'm cooking them...i love to steam or sautee in olive oil. Green beans, olive oil, garlic & almonds are delicious and nutritious. Most people hate beets, but they are sooo good boiled, diced with a little bit of sea salt. Cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes - is a healthier option (and your kids probably won't even know the difference!!!)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird, but I love cooked spinach with some ketchup on top. Have eaten it that way since I was a kid.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is delicious. Grilled or diced up with some crushed tomatoes and garlic and Frank's Red Hot. Yum.

Oh and I love butternut squash. Soup or roasted.

Spinach salad is terrific too!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love edamame - steamed with a dash of sea salt (perfect snack in front of hte TV), I also love fresh veggies...any and all veggies...but if I'm cooking them...i love to steam or sautee in olive oil. Green beans, olive oil, garlic & almonds are delicious and nutritious. Most people hate beets, but they are sooo good boiled, diced with a little bit of sea salt. Cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes - is a healthier option (and your kids probably won't even know the difference!!!)

Ok maybe this is a silly question but where in the grocery store do you find Edamame? I would assume it's in the produce section but I didn't see any when I went to the supermarket yesterday .
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Look in the frozen veggies section :) Trader Joes definitely has it, Stop & Shop, Demoulas have them too.
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    MMMM.... Sounds delicious! Thank you so much!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My all-time favourite vegetable is kale. It's so super for your body.

Steamed Kale (side dish)

You will need:
    - 2 cups of kale, washed and roughly chopped
    - 2 tbsp tahini
    - hot tap water
    - 1/2 tsp olive oil
    - lemon juice
    - salt and pepper
    - 1 clove of garlic, minced

Prepare the tahini sauce:
    In a small bowl, thin the tahini with a bit of very hot tap water. Stir very well. Adjust the consistency- you should add enough water so that the tahini kind of like honey.
    Add the olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic and lemon juice to taste. yum yum yum

Steam the kale over boiling water (you can use a colander). This will take only a minute or two if the water's at a rolling boil. You may need to stir the kale around in the colander so that it steams easily.

Pour the sauce over the kale and enjoy!!

Asian-inspired Tofu & Kale (main course)

For the marinade:
    - 1 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
    - 1 tbsp soy sauce
    - 1 tsp garlic and 1 tsp ginger root, minced
    - 1 squirt sriracha hot sauce
    - 1 tsp agave or maple syrup
    - 1/4 cup hot water

Everything else:
    - 1/2 package of firm tofu, cut into chunks
    - 2 cups of kale, washed and roughly chopped
    - 3 or 4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
    (other add-ins could include: sesame seeds, bamboo shoots, roasted cashews (to be sprinkled on top at the end))

Mix all ingredients for the marinade together and pour over the tofu. Let the tofu sit in the marinade for at least 5 minutes (you can chop the kale while they get acquainted!).
    Put a large frying pan or wok on medium-high heat on the stove. Add a little extra olive oil or sesame oil and let it heat up.
    Add the tofu to the pan, reserving some of the marinade liquid. Sautee the tofu until it starts to brown very slightly.
    Add the rest of the marinade along with the kale and other ingredients (sundried tomatoes or whatever else you have on hand).
    Sautee for another couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Don't let the kale burn!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options

Ok maybe this is a silly question but where in the grocery store do you find Edamame? I would assume it's in the produce section but I didn't see any when I went to the supermarket yesterday .

In the freezer section
  • octoberschilde
    Options
    I love to saute some red, green, yellow bell peppers along with an onion in a pan with a little EVOO. MMMMM

Also, do the same for squash and zucchini
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Roasted red onion, roasted asparagus, roasted brussels sprouts. Steamed broccoli, steamed green beans, steamed cauliflower, steamed brussels. Briefly sauted spinach with garlic, kale with garlic, zucchini with garlic. Crook neck squash with garlic, tomatoes and basil. Curried potatoes and peas, peas with mint. Raw carrots with hummus, red bell peppers. Green bell peppers and onion and zucchini stewed in tomatillo salsa (add jalapenos and a cup or two of cooked pinto beans)..... salad greens with pear or apple and a few blue cheese crumbles. Raw spinach with blue cheese, red onion, candied almonds and garlic dressing. Raw, ripe, garden tomatoes. Yam gratin (layers of yam, yellow onion and smoked cheddar).

I think I just like vegetables.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Baked Kale chips -- simple ingredients, simple directions -- fantastic results.

Ingredients
    12 large Tuscan kale leaves, rinsed, dried, cut lengthwise in half, center ribs and stems removed
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 250°F. Toss kale with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange leaves in single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 30 minutes for flat leaves and up to 33 minutes for wrinkled leaves. Transfer leaves to rack to cool.

• aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    Loving these ideas and I can't wait to try them out! Again thank you everyone!
  • featherweight221
    Options
    I love aparagus sauteed in a pan with 1/2 tbspn olive oil--even my kids like it!