A conversation at the grocery check-out

Options
I had to pick up a few things at the grocery store. I didn't notice, but my purchases were mostly fruit and veg and fish. It looked like a very healthy haul. The fellow behind me noted how "somebody is eating healthy" I said, "yes, when you age, you can't eat like a teenager anymore." He nodded in agreement. ITs something we all recognize, we can't put junk in our bodies the way we did as teens. What perplexes me though is how older folks love the idea of a 50's style eatery with the fried non-nutricious food they sell.

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You oughta see when I check out. Lots of perplexed looks. They think Im feeding horses or something... Its hilarious.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Its the same thing with me!! They always say, "Wow. You must like fruits and vegetables. It's weird to see a college kid eat so healthy; no wonder you're skinny!"

And I'm always flummoxed. Never, EVER, would you say to someone who's a bit overweight, "Wow, 3 boxes of Ho-Hos? No wonder you're overweight!"

I hate that there is a double standard, and that it's now the "norm" to be unhealthy and eat crap.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I went to the store one time and bought an unusually large amount of produce, even for me. I had it all on the conveyor belt. The cashier looked over at it with this expression of horror on her face, I guess she was new and hadn't memorized all the codes yet or even learned what some of the items were. I felt a little bad for her! And it took a REALLY long time to check out.
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    In addition to the fruit and veg we eat ourselves, we also buy quite a lot for our guinea pigs. The supermarket checkout assistants are probably more impressed than they ought to be :laugh:
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who eyes other shoppers' purchases. It's so interesting to see what other people like to eat! Plus sometimes I'll get a meal idea or two for myself :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever says anything to me but "Wow you must have alot of kids" lol
    I dont but I hate grocery shopping and do one big haule once a month and smaller trips for things like milk an veggies when needed
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I remember a time, not so long ago, when I was buying chocolate milk, Rice Krispie Treats, fruit snacks, candy bars, Lucky Charms (which I still eat - had some today for St Patty's!), and the only thing healthy was a bag of baby carrots.

The bag of carrots was for the DOG. :laugh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    One time I remember putting all my veggies and stuff on the belt and the lady in front of me was quite large and had nothing but chips, snack cakes, and frozen pizzas. She looked at my food, looked at me, looked at her food, and looked down. She looked horribly embarrassed. I noticed this all out of the corner of my eye and didn't say anything to her but part of me wanted to.
    Maybe the following shopping trip she bought better food. we can only hope.
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll admit it. I've become a food snob! I've gotten so meticulous about what I eat that I look at other peoples food at the checkout and count calories! OH NO!!! Not in a "you sooo shouldn't buy that" kind of way, just a "wow, I used to eat that" kind of way. I hadn't realized how much processed and fatty food I used to eat until I kept track of it all, now I'm shocked I ever ate that way!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Its the same thing with me!! They always say, "Wow. You must like fruits and vegetables. It's weird to see a college kid eat so healthy; no wonder you're skinny!"

And I'm always flummoxed. Never, EVER, would you say to someone who's a bit overweight, "Wow, 3 boxes of Ho-Hos? No wonder you're overweight!"

I hate that there is a double standard, and that it's now the "norm" to be unhealthy and eat crap.

Fantastic point!! I would LOVE to be in line to see a cahsier day That to some one
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Haha funny
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've still got a ways to go in making stellar food choices, but even i was struck by how much better my cart looked than some of the other ones in line this week!

The lady behind me had an uber-healthy cart that gave me some tips--like that my grocery store carries its own line of organic foods! Who knew!? (And where do they hide them, 'cause I've never seen them before!)

And I asked her about the whole wheat pasta she had chosen and she was all excited to tell me about it! :bigsmile:

----

A few months back I saw a lady on one of those scooters (and let's just say it wasn't because of a knee injury :frown: ) with nothing but soda, candy, cookies pastries and crackers. That almost made me cry, right there in line. :sad:
  • kmc8834
    kmc8834 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do experience this same thing at the grocery store, but I am even more perplexed when I look at the differences of food choices between me and my roommate. When she comes back from the grocery store the freezer becomes stuffed with boxed frozen pizzas, popsicles, frozen french fries, etc. While my grocery trip finds usually consist of fruit, yogurt, healthy snacks and protein rich foods like chicken or fish. She is not overweight by any means but it always makes my step a little lighter when I know that what I am putting in my body has to be better than over-processed, microwaved or fried foods! I feel much better when I make healthier choices at the grocery store and can come home and cook a nice, nutritious meal!
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ----

A few months back I saw a lady on one of those scooters (and let's just say it wasn't because of a knee injury :frown: ) with nothing but soda, candy, cookies pastries and crackers. That almost made me cry, right there in line. :sad:

This would be my mother! I can only imagine what people must think when they see her rolling her way around the store! That is a big reason why I'm here. I don't want to be that woman!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    One time I remember putting all my veggies and stuff on the belt and the lady in front of me was quite large and had nothing but chips, snack cakes, and frozen pizzas. She looked at my food, looked at me, looked at her food, and looked down. She looked horribly embarrassed. I noticed this all out of the corner of my eye and didn't say anything to her but part of me wanted to.
    Maybe the following shopping trip she bought better food. we can only hope.

Eek. I would feel terrible and smile sweetly!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My mom goes to the store for the rest of the family... and I can't even tell you how frustrated i can get. She comes home with stuff from sams.... which is a bulk store.. and she has 2 trays of JUMBO muffins that were so bad for you I couldn't believe it! (they had a label surprisingly) Frozen Spanikopita, french toast sticks, rice krispies bars... I'm like..... why would you do that? My sister goes and buys pints of ben and jerrys at a time. I give my mom the benefit of the doubt for buying some chicken and frozen veggies... but ugh.
    I don't understand how when you know that something is extremely bad for you... and you have the means to afford differently... why would you buy your children that kind of stuff?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am proud of the amount of produce and fresh foods I have been buying. I'm trying to get totally aways from boxes and cans like "hamburger helper", "Pasta roni", and "Raveoli". There are much better healthier options that only have 5 more mins to prepare.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the comments and the "eye rolling" when I started unloading my cart, so, now I do the self checkout. The only problem is they freeze sometimes and I think that might annoy the checkers even more when they have to come put their code in. Oh well. I'm making healthy choices for me and my family and I'm proud of that.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It really makes me very sad to see what the majority of people are purchasing, and they have 3, 4, 5 kids with them. I work in the schools these kids attend, and it really breaks my heart to see how many of them are so overweight. I'm very frustrated with what so many parents are teaching their young children about food. (or not teaching them.)
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the comments and the "eye rolling" when I started unloading my cart, so, now I do the self checkout. The only problem is they freeze sometimes and I think that might annoy the checkers even more when they have to come put their code in. Oh well. I'm making healthy choices for me and my family and I'm proud of that.

What do they roll their eyes for? You buying healthy food?