Thyroid Disease and weightloss? Anyone else in the same boat

Options
Ok, I have ballooned to 190 pounds after 3 kids and thyroid disease. I am on synthroid now but it is still challenging to lose weight? Is it just me? Will it ever be possible to lose 70 pounds with thryoid issues.......even with thyroid replacement? Just wondering if it is all worth it.

Replies

• Bethannny
    Bethannny Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm on Synthroid, too. I don't have too much trouble losing weight as long as I can stick to my plan. I have noticed that if I don't take my medicine, I tend to eat more. Make sure you take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, and wait thirty minutes before eating anything. I've been told by my doctor that this will make the medicine fully work.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. It IS possible to lose but you have to eat very healthy and exercise daily. I am working very hard...I have been losing and gaining the same seven pounds for months now...But I am healthier, even though I do not way less.

It's hard work but worth it!!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm on Synthroid, too. I don't have too much trouble losing weight as long as I can stick to my plan. I have noticed that if I don't take my medicine, I tend to eat more. Make sure you take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, and wait thirty minutes before eating anything. I've been told by my doctor that this will make the medicine fully work.

I have mine ready with a bottle of water, on my dresser and I usually wake up to go pee between 3 and 4 and that's when I take it.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm on levothyroxine (the generic for synthroid) and haven't had trouble losing weight when I'm focused... of course, if I'm not doing my best with eating well and exercising the weight doesn't come off, but that's just how it goes. I haven't found that my thyroid issues have had a negative impact on weight loss at all.
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Synthroid and when I try to lose weight I do. For me, Synthroid makes me seem, feel normal. It does get adjusted once in a while, but it makes my thyroid work normally. You can do it! :)
  • twhitmore22
    twhitmore22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that thyroid issues will make it harder to lose the weight but not impossible as long as you follow the plan. I am on thyroid replacement also. I personally think it is worth it for your health even if it is slower going than someone without thyroid issues.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    There's a simple solution. Ask to be taken OFF of Synthroid and put on natural dessicated thyroid, like Thyroid brand out of Canada. You can order it from UniversalDrugstore.com. They are an extremely good service.

I've lost 40lbs since my highest weight before MFP, and that did NOT happen until I made the medication switch. Also, I'm no longer sleeping 16 hours a day or breaking out in sores on my head, now have a normal body temperature, and I can climb stairs without feeling like I'm dying. It's taken a while, but I got here.

If your doctor gives you crap and refuses, change doctors. I'm dead serious.
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've had Hypothyroidism since I was 12. My heaviest was 245 (after the birth of my daughter in '05). I just recently started getting serious about my weight loss and have lost 15lbs since Jan (down to 211!!!). It is possible, just takes a little longer and a lot of hard work. I got a HRM and don't evercise without it. I try to make a goal of how much I want to burn in a day and do whatever I can to make it happen. Diet has played a HUGE roll in this weight loss too. Don't give in or give up! Add me of you want a buddy with the same challenges and goals!
  • tilee
    tilee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm too 190 and wanting to lose 70 pounds with 3 three children. I take synthroid everyday..We can do this together..
  • ncgirl1978
    ncgirl1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been on synthroid since 1999 or 2000 and yes u can reach ur goal for me i gain weight really easy and i can lose it if i put my head to it bt now in the 10 yrs i've been taking the meds my dr.s have always told me to wait 1 hr maybe even 2 hrs before i eat every dr. says diffeent times i'd ask ur dr. to be safe. I recently also heard on the joy fit club that it matters what u eat 1st when on the medicine , like starches but there again not sure about that either but it is something worth checking on. Good Luck and i know u can do it.
  • harpcason
    harpcason Posts: 40
    Options
    I also have the same problem. I have gone from 90 lbs to 139.....but, I did go for several years not monitoring what I eat because I thought that I would not have a problem and gain weight. LOL, it fooled me. I try to workout at least 5 times a week and have some difficulty getting my weight down, but I sure do feel better. Some it comes with age too. The older I get, the harder it is to lose. Hang in there, you can lose it. :)
  • PhatmanVA
    PhatmanVA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: Yes, if you WANT it bad enough and are willing to do the work it requires.

Long Answer: December 7, 1983 I had total thyroidectomy due to cancer. I have been on synthroid ever since. In May 1992 my cancer returned. It was sent into remission again (Personal note: I don't think cancer is ever "cured," I think it is active or in remission.). Anyway, I was in the USAF when this happended and really struggled with my weight. I blamed my tyroid cancer. I never noticed that when I did the exercise I was supposed to do, and ate the way I was supposed to do, I was able to maintain a healthy weight. When I retired I let myself go...REALLY go.

Fast Forward: I've gotten myself back under control and have lost ~75lbs with more than that to go until I reach my goal weight. Last week to this week, I lost 3.1lbs. Some weeks are big loss numbers, some weeks are smaller loss numbers, but they are all trending in the right direction: DOWN.

Bottom Line: You can do this!

Good Luck!

PhatmanVA
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Right after I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started medication, I lost 10 lbs without making any changes at all in my diet or exercise. The harded thing I remember before my diagnosis was waking up in the mornings. It was a struggle getting out of bed and motivated in the mornings. It was like I literally had to force myself to function. Sometimes, I'd wake and look over to my arms and wonder why they felt like lead weight, and wonder why was it so incredibly hard getting out of bed. But after being on the medication for a couple of weeks I noticed that heavy/tired feeling disappearing, and I stopped crying over nothing. I started getting some of my energy back (that inner energy, the kind that makes you feel optimistic naturally).

Losing weight is definately harder. The occasional "splurge" is one thing, but my body just doesn't do well with greasy, fried foods, oils, and/or too much bread. I have to watch how much sweets I have. This really became apparant a couple months ago when I was diagnosed with IBS and Acid Reflux.
    If I don't get some kind of exercise at least every other day I lose my energy. Over-eating saps my energy, and aggavates my IBS. Now that I'm becoming more aware of what my body is sensitive to I'm not bloated anymore (and it feels great!). But I'm still over-weight. The cramping/hunger pains hardly ever happen now, and it's primarily because I'm eating healthier and drinking healthier fluids. I'm not drinking alcohol every day anymore. I know if I really want to get and stay healthier then I just HAVE to eat and drink healthier. Think thin! Would a thin person keep on stuffing food in their face even when they know they are already full? No. They stop when they're satisfied.

So... Just keep on keeping on. Try to figure out what saps your energy and then try to avoid it. You WILL lose weight and you WILL feel healthier and you WILL have more energy... if you will remember to always try to make healthier choices and get at least a 15 minute walk each day.
    Come back often to help you stay motivated :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Right after I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started medication, I lost 10 lbs without making any changes at all in my diet or exercise. The harded thing I remember before my diagnosis was waking up in the mornings. It was a struggle getting out of bed and motivated in the mornings. It was like I literally had to force myself to function. Sometimes, I'd wake and look over to my arms and wonder why they felt like lead weight, and wonder why was it so incredibly hard getting out of bed. But after being on the medication for a couple of weeks I noticed that heavy/tired feeling disappearing, and I stopped crying over nothing. I started getting some of my energy back (that inner energy, the kind that makes you feel optimistic naturally).

Losing weight is definately harder. The occasional "splurge" is one thing, but my body just doesn't do well with greasy, fried foods, oils, and/or too much bread. I have to watch how much sweets I have. This really became apparant a couple months ago when I was diagnosed with IBS and Acid Reflux.
    If I don't get some kind of exercise at least every other day I lose my energy. Over-eating saps my energy, and aggavates my IBS. Now that I'm becoming more aware of what my body is sensitive to I'm not bloated anymore (and it feels great!). But I'm still over-weight. The cramping/hunger pains hardly ever happen now, and it's primarily because I'm eating healthier and drinking healthier fluids. I'm not drinking alcohol every day anymore. I know if I really want to get and stay healthier then I just HAVE to eat and drink healthier. Think thin! Would a thin person keep on stuffing food in their face even when they know they are already full? No. They stop when they're satisfied.

So... Just keep on keeping on. Try to figure out what saps your energy and then try to avoid it. You WILL lose weight and you WILL feel healthier and you WILL have more energy... if you will remember to always try to make healthier choices and get at least a 15 minute walk each day.
    Come back often to help you stay motivated :)

Yes, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. No matter how much or how little sleep I got, I felt drugged getting up in the morning, and then I spent all day wanting to sleep. When I got time off, it seems like that was all I did. I slept all but a few hours of New Year's Day of 2008. I woke up to eat and go to the bathroom, and later to take a shower and that was about it. The next day I got up to go to work and felt dead.

I, too, still have trouble when I'm eating too many carbs or not enough protein. I firmly believe in South Beach, because it does seem so well adapted to what my body needs to stay alert with appetite and blood sugar control. As for exercise, I still walk a bit, around once a week. I've worked myself into much harder cardio several days a week, and now I'm doing the 30 Day Shred to (massively) improve my physical strength and build muscle. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen, especially after this last increase in my dosage. I'll probably always have to work a little harder, but at least now the all the extra hard work is actually producing something.
  • kikibruce
    kikibruce Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm too 190 and wanting to lose 70 pounds with 3 three children. I take synthroid everyday..We can do this together..
    How tall are you just out of curiosity? And im on synthroid. My doctor told me to never use the generic because it doesnt work. I dropped from 230 to 187 when i first went on my meds. Ive gained from eating whatever but now im focused and seem to be doing ok. I watch what i eat and have started my cardio.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    sounds good!
  • tilee
    tilee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My height is 5'1"