Over sugar & under calories

Options
Hi there!

Most days I go over my sugar intake. Just from breakfast today I only have 6 grams "left" for the day. I've already cut back on most foods I used to eat that were high in processed sugar, but the things I eat on a (mostly) daily basis still have a significant amount. However, I don't often go over my calorie limit for the day. Is my sugar intake going to affect weight loss?

Thanks!

Lauren

Replies

• CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of fruit, don't worry about it too much. Natural sugars are better and easier to digest and use than processed sugar.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just looking at todays breakfast.. I am assuming thats instant cinnamon oatmeal.. trying making your own oatmeal and adding some cinnamon!! Less sodium that way too.. or add fresh fruits!
  • Mollymmb84
    Options
    Thank you!! Because all of my sugar comes from fruit I was a little confused as well!
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    That's a good question, I wonder that too with me. I also seem to go over my salt at the same time but can be still under my calories for the day and wonder if Im just waisting the days of doing well going under my calorie goal. But it's so hard to find stuff to eat that is low in both sugar and salt! I'll wait to see who has answers to our questions!!
    Holly
    :bigsmile:
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that has sugar in it? What are you eating throughout the day and how many meals do you have? When i cut i try not to eat any surgary foods.
  • sneakers71
    sneakers71 Posts: 106
    Options
    me too!
  • soniajc
    soniajc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat a very healthy diet but still manage to go over my sugar intake every day, it hasn't made any difference to my weight loss.
    Stick at it and you will soon find what works for you.
    Good luck
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    What are you eating that has sugar in it? What are you eating throughout the day and how many meals do you have? When i cut i try not to eat any surgary foods.

My diary is open if you want to take a look. I'm really upset, too, that milk has so much sugar in it. I feel like its a diet staple for me.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I know my zone bar has sugar in it but it also has LOTs of protein as well as lots of nutrients. I hope that isnt affecting my weight.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately cereals have a lot of sugar and milk has natural sugar too. As long as you are eating less calories than you need you should be ok. The only problem with sugar is it makes your blood sugars rise quickly and slump quickly; making you crave more and then you get in a viscious circle.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I know my zone bar has sugar in it but it also has LOTs of protein as well as lots of nutrients. I hope that isnt affecting my weight.

I feel your pain. I used to eat Zone bars, Clif bars, etc. in the morning but removed them from my diet due to the sugar, and even the protein. Also, they are expensive! Maybe if you cut them from your diet too you will feel a little better about sugar and save some money :)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about having milk as its vital for women and a calcium rich diet can aid weight loss.
  • army_cobra
    Options
    If i was you i would redo your breakfast. The oatmeal you have is no good. Get just plain old oatmeal, yes i know it dont taste good but it is so much better for you. Eat just half a cup in the morning, if you have to you can add alittle natural honey or sweet and low. For better results i wouldnt though. The milk is all up to you i would drop it and have water.

OH ya get more meals in during the day. I have 6 a day and they are all small. This will help you burn weight do to it making your metabolism work harder. Try and do what i do make your meals the night before that way if you go over you can just change something up.
  • army_cobra
    Options

They really arent the best for you. Nothing can replace good natural protien from meat.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just did a post on this and got a lot of great responses. Everything I've read says that women (and men for that matter) should limit ADDED sugars to 30 grams a day. Added sugars don't count those found naturally in produce and dairy products - what it really refers to are those found in breads, cereals, desserts, and even salad dressings and soups (most processed foods these days contain some added sugar as the second or even first ingredient - including granola bars and protein shakes).

The problem is that MFP doesn't make the distinction - so basically if you have one apple or banana you've pretty much met your sugar allotment for the day. This clearly isn't true and you should be OK if most of your sugar is coming from natural sources. They are processed differently by the body and come along with fiber and nutrients to boot. But try to limit added sugars - as we can all see, the body gets more than enough sugar naturally through whole foods.

And remember though - sugar is still sugar at the end of the day, so don't go overboard on the fruit and milk just because it's "good" sugar. I've tried to add more veggies instead and reduce fruit consumption to 1 serving a day to cut down.
  • carmelo1369
    Options
    I agree with redoing the oatmeal for breakfast, get the big canister of oatmeal (old fashion or instant) either or should be 150 cals per 1/2 cup. Then buy your favorite berry or berries to add, if you buy frozen make sure to read for added sugar and put it back if it says it.

The big cans usually have 30 1/2cup servings, and its usually around $2.50 where i live, and i buy a bag blackberries for around $3.50 and i have breakfast for at least 15 days (1cup every morning), for only 6 bucks. It's pretty cheap and is way better for you.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options

They really arent the best for you. Nothing can replace good natural protien from meat.

tell THAT to a vegetarian and see what ya get....

I eat LOTS of beans to get my proteins...
  • army_cobra
    Options

tell THAT to a vegetarian and see what ya get....

I eat LOTS of beans to get my proteins...

Okay now that is a whole different subject. I am not a vegetarian so i dont read into it that much. Beans are good as long as they are not canned. Nuts have some protien in them and healthy fat your body needs
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion that kind of goes along the same lines as what others have posted: Try cutting back on your processed cereals (Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Life, etc...) and processed foods if you want to cut back on your sugar intake. Keep in mind that most processed cereals use processed sugar. You can always go the oatmeal route, or you can make your own granola to use as a cereal (that way you control EXACTLY what goes into it). Also, you may look into trying Almond milk (unsweetened) if you're concerned about sugar from your milk. Lots of dairy products that are fat-free have added sugars to make them taste better. You can always try Truvia or Agave Nectar as a natural sweetener (nectar will add sugar/calories though!). If your overall concern is health, try eating more naturally (as in, cooking things from scratch). It makes a huge difference in the way you feel and your energy levels!