Heart rate monitors

Options
I was just wondering how accurate heart rate monitors are when it comes to calories burned during a workout? I don't think I am getting enough cardio and I think it might be more motivating to see what you are burning while you are doing it. Also which is the best model? Thanks :)

Replies

• dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    The accuracy is better with a chest strap than a wrist monitor. Each HRM is programmed with a formula used to calculate calories burned. Accuracy as far as that goes depends on your belief in the accuracy of the formula.

A lot of people on MFP like the Polar brand, but I have a Timex Zone Trainer and I love it.

Good luck!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    More accurate than a machine that doesn't ask your age, height or gender :) IMHO

Polar FT60 - in PINK!
  • Mo120
    Mo120 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, I got my HRM because of the exact same reason, i wanted to be as accurate as possible with the calorie count. I have a Polar FT4 and I use it during every single workout! It's very accurate for me.
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My HRM arrived this morning so i'm trying it out for the first time tonight - i'll let you know how I get on if you like. I've bought the Polar FT4. Gonna do workout DVD (approximately 1 hour long) I'll compare my actual calories burnt with the MFP estimate.

J x
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you, please let me know :)
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7 and I LOVE it. It is very accurate and came with an adjustable chest strap.
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) One more question, what type of cardio is the most effective? (I am not a good runner lol) I guess I get confused with what burns the most calories...... I jump rope alot, but yesterday I went for a walk and it told me I burned more calories doing that, and trust me its way easier to walk lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm down to 78 days to lose the weight haha
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I just bought a new balance pearl Hrm. It is a chest strap with a wrist watch kind. I am obsessed with it. I find it to be right on it's calorie counts and it is fun to keep my heart rate at a acceptable level. Makes my workouts more efficient. I got it at target for 60 bucks.
  • josborn1012
    Options
    I have been having the same issue. I know I'm burning way more calories than I log because there is a bunch I do that I can't log based on the nature of the workout. I plan on buying a HRM as soon as I can to solve this problem. I want to be accurate but in the mean time I'm not stressing because I know anything will help at this point after being unable to even walk/stand for three months.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 as well and LOVE it! Beware though....once you have one you will never want to do without. I had a Polar F7 and it broke...I was so lost without it. I love knowing what I burn doing what and hate relying on websites that don't know "me".

Polar is very popular and has a bunch of different models. You can compare on their website. I bought mine BNIB on ebay for $49.99 and it is pretty basic but calories burned is all I really care about.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) One more question, what type of cardio is the most effective? (I am not a good runner lol) I guess I get confused with what burns the most calories...... I jump rope alot, but yesterday I went for a walk and it told me I burned more calories doing that, and trust me its way easier to walk lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm down to 78 days to lose the weight haha

Swimming HANDS DOWN!!
  • ocfitgirl
    Options
    I use a HR monitor for my cardio and weight training and I love it! I like to know if I am working hard enough (by seeing if my heart rate increases or decreases) and knowing how many calories I am burning during my workouts. I have to say knowing that even that 100 calorie pack of cookies means running 10 minutes on the treadmill gives me a better idea of what certain foods "cost" me in exercise calories...a candy bar is 25 minutes of hard spinning!

I agree that the chest strap models are better and more accurate. I have a Polar FT7, you can usually get Polar, Timex, etc. at any local sporting good store or even on Amazon.com. Just make sure that the features include the calorie counting...some of the less expensive models are heart rate monitors only. Heart rate monitors usually run about $100 but are definitely worth the investment :)
  • Darlyn4u
    Darlyn4u Posts: 6
    Options
    well i got a FT7 that comes with an adjustable chest strap and its fantastic i did the best thing i wore it an entire day to see how many calories i burn and then i just subbtracted how many calories i burned during my workouts and figured out how many calories to take in as well. and about the best cardio workout to do hands down??? ZUMBA hands down it is the BEST!!!!!! You work out your entire body and your heart rate goes high and you burn a load of calories in the one hour the class normally takes. Normally when i get out of a zumba class at the gym i go to i am sweating buckets lol but i feel good because i burned so many calories. in one hour i can burn 700 to 850 calories in Zumba. Try it and you'll love it i gaurentee it. :D Good Luck!!