I signed up for my first 5k!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Yeah, so basically I am trying not to freak out. I am going to do it with a friend that's done one other 5k.
I have began the C25K program, and I am wondering what advice the more experienced runners of the group have to say?!?!
Also, what is a good goal for time for the first one? I am currently doing 15 minute miles in my first week of C25K.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    You can do it! I trained for my first one in 2 months & my first one mile run was SLLLLOW. Good luck & no matter what, just keep going!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I did my first one in January and my only goal was to finish! Use the following races to work on time. The first one is all about finishing and when you do, it will be a huge source of pride for you. I literally cried tears of happiness when I finished mine.

The second one, I worked on shaving some time off and Saturday is my first 7k.

You can do this! Best of luck!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k. It's a great program! I did a 5k at the end of my 9 weeks and jogged the whole time. You can do this. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am putting it off but I NEED to sign up for one!! Congrats and good luck!!
  • jessica6335
    Options
    Best of luck!! I am planning for my very first 5K as well. It isn't until June but I'm very nervous and also excited to see how I will do :)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A good time is whatever time it takes you - it`s unlikely you`ll be last - but even if you are you are still ahead of the thousands of people who didn`t even start.

Emjoy yourself - enjoy the training - NEVER NEVER NEVER run through pain
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so basically I am trying not to freak out. I am going to do it with a friend that's done one other 5k.
    I have began the C25K program, and I am wondering what advice the more experienced runners of the group have to say?!?!
    Also, what is a good goal for time for the first one? I am currently doing 15 minute miles in my first week of C25K.

Thanks everyone!

When is the race? After you've finished the C25K or before you've completed it?

If the race falls during the C25K plan, then just try to finish the race.

If it's after you've completed it, try to keep at the same pace you are running at that time. Believe me, with all the adrenaline and really fast runners around you on race day, it's going to be tough not to start out too quickly! You'll feel yourself holding back, but that's necessary to finish. Even trying to hold back, you'll probably end up running faster than you normally do.

But try not to start out too quickly, or you'll end up walking the last mile. ;)
  • cherbend
    cherbend Posts: 1
    Options
    Have fun and don't worry about pace for your first 5k. It's a learning experience and there is a lot to learn. The winning is in making it through the C25k program and finishing a 5k race. If you are doing 15 minute miles now, I wouldn't aim for more than 13.5 minute miles by race day. You will beat all the walkers. Speed is harder to get than distance, so just work on the distance at first. Enjoy, it's a great sport with great people.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Alantique--- I am on week 1 of C25K, and the 5k isnt until April 29, so I have a few weeks between finishing and the race.
    Thanks for the tips!