Sugar Free or Low Sugar Desserts

Options
I have been looking for some dessert recipes that have either very little or no added sugar. I tried two different sugar free cookie recipes last weekend and they were disgusting.

Otherwise, a recipe with a natural sugar substitue would be just fine too.

Cookies prefered, but would take any dessert. Thanks everyone!!!

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar free pudding that is only 60 calories. I thought it would taste disgusting but it actually tastes good.They have so many different flavors to try but I usually have the chocolate to get my "fix" in. If you want, you can add fat free whipped topping to it and it would only be 80 calories.
  • godsgiftjcp
    Options
    I got a wonderful dessert recipe from someone up here a while ago. It was chocolate graham crackers with sugar free cool whip in the middle like an ice cream sandwich. Just put it in the freezer for a few and it is just like you are eating a crunchy ice cream sandwich
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I prefer stevia to spenda but sometimes splenda is hard to get away from so I do eat it at times. I LOVE apple cobbler/ice cream & have found a substitute that is really good. I take a can of apple pie filling (no sugar added) - I use the Wal-Mart brand Great Value. I take about 2/3 cup (60 calories), sprinkle with extra cinnamon and heat it a bit in the microwave. Next I scoop 1/2 cup BlueBell Light Vanilla Ice Cream on top (140 Calories) - YUMMMMMMM!!!!! It's so good that I totally feel like I am cheating but I'm not!!!
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got a wonderful dessert recipe from someone up here a while ago. It was chocolate graham crackers with sugar free cool whip in the middle like an ice cream sandwich. Just put it in the freezer for a few and it is just like you are eating a crunchy ice cream sandwich

That sounds yummy!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Cupcakes!

I make cupcakes using pillsbury sugar free devil's food cake mix. Replace the oil with no sugar added apple sauce, and use egg whites instead of eggs. Mix it all up it should make about 22 or 23 cupcakes - I never manage to squeeze out 24.

For topping, mix up sugar free pudding mix with one cup of milk and one tub of low or fat free cool whip. Actually, i usually half the topping recipe because I can't manage to use all of it when I make it all.

These are super good, and my most recent incarnation (lots of chocolate) is only 85 calories per cupcake and 2 sugars.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    YES!!!!! This is why I love this site! Keep it coming! I love it!

Yummy!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Cupcakes!

I make cupcakes using pillsbury sugar free devil's food cake mix. Replace the oil with no sugar added apple sauce, and use egg whites instead of eggs. Mix it all up it should make about 22 or 23 cupcakes - I never manage to squeeze out 24.

For topping, mix up sugar free pudding mix with one cup of milk and one tub of low or fat free cool whip. Actually, i usually half the topping recipe because I can't manage to use all of it when I make it all.

These are super good, and my most recent incarnation (lots of chocolate) is only 85 calories per cupcake and 2 sugars.

When making the topping - if you only use half of the cool whip do you then only use half of the milk and pudding mix?
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Cupcakes!

MMMMMmmmm......I am sitting here thinking of all of the wonderful combinations! You could use banana flavored pudding, or vanilla, or cheesecake....or, well you get the drift. The flavor combinations that would taste so good with chocolate are pretty much endless.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Bump! Anyone have any good cookie recipes with no sugar or sugar alternative?
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Sorry to bump again, but I am looking for a few other ideas before I head to the grocery store tonight.

Anyone!? Cookies???
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump:heart:
  • MLove_1
    MLove_1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll take a container of plain Greek yogurt and mix in some sugar-free, fat-free instant pudding mix until it gets to a cheesecake like consistency! Then add mix-ins, I usually add some blueberries and Fiber One Bran cereal. DELISH!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Peaches with Cava and Lemon Verbena

You can find lemon verbena plants at your local nursery. Some farmers' markets and specialty stores also sell fresh sprigs of it this time of year. If you can't find it, cook strips of lemon rind with the wine, and add 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind before serving. Cava is an affordable Spanish sparkling wine now widely available in this country.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
    Ingredients
    10 (3-inch) lemon verbena leaves
    1 (750-milliliter) bottle Cava or other sparkling wine
    1/2 cup sugar
    6 cups sliced peaches (about 2 pounds)
    1/2 teaspoon minced lemon verbena leaves
    Preparation
    Combine whole verbena leaves and sparkling wine in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 15 minutes). Remove and discard the whole leaves. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add sliced peaches; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover and chill. Stir in minced verbena leaves just before serving.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    157 (3% from fat)
    Fat:
    0.5g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g)
    Protein:
    1.9g
    Carbohydrate:
    39.5g
    Fiber:
    2.7g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    1.1mg
    Sodium:
    11mg
    Calcium:
    23mg
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Indian Rice Pudding

Make this cardamom-infused pudding up to 2 days ahead and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Serve in martini glasses for a sophisticated presentation.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup)

Ingredients
    2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
    5 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
    2 tablespoons raisins
    Preparation
    Rinse rice; drain well. Combine rice and milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until rice is tender and creamy, stirring frequently. Stir in the sugar, coconut, and cardamom; chill. Sprinkle with almonds and raisins.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    183 (20% from fat)
    Fat:
    4.1g (sat 2.2g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.3g)
    Protein:
    6.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    31.6g
    Fiber:
    0.8g
    Cholesterol:
    11mg
    Iron:
    0.7mg
    Sodium:
    80mg
    Calcium:
    191mg
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I tried the cupcakes over the weekend. YUMMY!!!! Thanks so much!

Again, I want to ask. Anyone have any low or sugar free GOOD cookie recipes?
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe the other day for Chocolate Meringues. Delicious! They don't use a sugar substitute, but per cookie are relatively low. I would even try it again using less sugar because they are pretty sweet!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/197187-double-chocolate-meringues-19-cals-per-cookie
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Healthier Chocolate cake from www.RecipeGirl.com

i used 1/2 cup sugar here and it was sweet enough for me and even les calories

CAKE:
    2 1/4 cups unsifted oat flour
    1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
    2/3 cup granulated sugar (or use Stevia or Splenda)
    *1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. salt
    One 23 ounce jar of unsweetened applesauce (or just measure 23 ounces)
    5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
    3 tsp. vanilla extract

FROSTING:
    One 8-ounce package low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
    1 cup powdered sugar, sift after measuring
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 tsp. vanilla extract
    3 Tbsp. nonfat milk

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat 13x9x2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
    2. In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, dry milk powder, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, egg whites and vanilla.
    3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Don’t over-mix or you may toughen the texture of the cake.
    4. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing to edges, and bake until springy to the touch and toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean- it should take anwhere from 25 to 35 minutes. Check at 25 and add minutes onto baking time if necessary.
    5. Cool cake to room temperature on a wire rack.
    6. Prepare frosting: With an electric mixer at low speed, beat cream cheese, sifted powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Slowly add nonfat milk and beat until it’s a good spreading consistency- about 1 minute.
    7. Swirl frosting over top of cake. Cut into 15 squares, and serve.

Serves: 15

Cooking Tips:
    *You can buy oat flour (health food sections in your market likely carry it) or you can make it yourself. Just put rolled oats into a blender and blend away until it turns into powder. Now you have oat flour!
    *To make this recipe sugar free, you can use Splenda for Baking- be sure to use the kind that is specifically for baking (not the little packets that are for coffee). I haven’t tried this recipe using Splenda, so I can’t vouch for how it tastes. In the cake portion, replace granulated sugar with 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. Splenda. In the frosting, replace powdered sugar with 1/2 cup Splenda.
    *I made this cake in a 9×13-inch pan, but I think it would work just as well baked in two 8-inch round cake pans. There certainly is enough frosting to use for a two layer cake.
    *If you want to make it in a 9×13 pan and you’d like to be able to remove the entire cake from the pan and onto a platter, line the pan with parchment paper that overhangs on the sides. Spray the parchment all over with cooking spray. After cooled, you should be able to lift the entire cake out of the pan (carefully) by holding the overhanging parchment. Then you’ll need to do use some racks or baking sheets to turn, peel off the parchment and the turn right-side up onto a platter.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (divided into 15 pieces):
    Calories 195
    Total fat 4.7g (sat 2.3g, poly .1g, mono 1.0g)
    Cholesterol 8.5mg
    Sodium 218.9mg
    Carbohydrates 35.3g
    Fiber 3.5g
    Sugars 21.3g
    Protein 6.1g

WW Points: 3.5
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you check the purevia or truvia websites, they have recipes for cookies. I haven't tried any yet but they look pretty good. Another sweet treat is making protein PB balls. I actually made a batch the other day. I take ground oatmeal, PB, protein powder, truvia, dried cranberries (run through the blender to chop up a bit) dark cocoa powder, and some honey to help hold everything together. You can basically experiment with amounts until it tastes good and you get a consistency you can clump together for balls. Refrigerate your mixture for easier handling and melt some dark chocolate in a bowl. Roll into balls and coat with chocolate. voila, no bake treat!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free Peanut Butter Cookies: (Makes 24-66 calories each)
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup granulated sweetener
    1 egg
    1. Mix Ingredients in a bowl.
    2. Shape into walnut sized cookies.
    3. Place on baking sheet and cook fo 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=711080

Here is a similar recipe, but it incorporates baking powder and vanilla extract to make a more complex, but still easy cookie:
    http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/10/recipe-for-flourless-sugar-free-peanut.html

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies (70 calories each)
    http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/recipes/Peanut-Butter-and-Jelly-Cookies.aspx

Almond Oatmeal Cookies (Just replace the fructose with same amount of granulated sweetener)
    http://www.the-zone-diet-recipes.com/recipes/almond_oatmeal_cookies.html

Healthy Banana Cookies (without artificial sweetener!!!)
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Healthy-Banana-Cookies/Detail.aspx

Sugar-free Meringue Kisses: (19 calories for 2 cookies)
    http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/recipes/chocolate-meringue-kisses.aspx

Almost all south-beach diet recipes are awesome, and contain no added sugars (just sweeteners):
    http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/healthy-dessert-recipes.aspx

I hope I helped!
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds yummy! Wish I had a sugar free cake mix in the house so I could make them right now! thanks!