Smoothies?

Options
dartany
dartany Posts: 16 Member
I have began to love smoothies for breakfast. What are some ways I can add fiber to them? Please share your smoothie recipes!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: Also what is the best brand of whey protein powder and what is the worse in your opinion? Please include price if you can remember.

Replies

• Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I second this. :)
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I use Natrual Bran .. bought at local store in a box already ground.. just throw in a tbsp or 2!!
  • ahight28
    ahight28 Posts: 13
    Options
    All of these fruits have a good fiber content. Just add some to your smoothies!
    Raspberries 1 cup 8.0 grams fiber
    Pear, with skin 1 medium 5.5 grams fiber
    Apple, with skin 1 medium 4.4 grams fiber
    Strawberries (halves) 1 1/4 cup 3.8 grams fiber
    Banana 1 medium 3.1 grams fiber
    Orange 1 medium 3.1 grams fiber

My fave smoothie right now is very simple....
    One banana (or 2)
    1 cup ice
    1 cup nonfat milk
    1/2 teasoon vanilla extract
    I also add one packet of splenda just to sweeten it up a little, but that is optional
  • ElovelyMe
    ElovelyMe Posts: 10
    Options
    Drinking smoothies are great and so refreshing. I use granola and 2 tbsp. of organic honey to sweenten it up a little if i need it. :smile:
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Add 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed to your smoothie. Its high in fiber and omega-3. You can add it to anything.
  • LBWB
    LBWB Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite smoothie has:

1 cup spinach
    .5 cup frozen strawberries
    .5 cup frozen blueberries
    1 banana
    .5 cup water

so refreshing!
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For fiber - Oatmeal, fiber plus, psyllium husks (unflavored metamucil), etc. For recipes go to Standard Process' web site they have a bunch of good ones, or check out Mark Zinczenko's book "The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide". He says smoothies are the key to eating what he calls "Super Foods" an he has tons of great recipes. (You can also check out www.theabsdiet.com.

As far as my favorites - I use a magic bullet blender and fill a cup up with Dole Wildly Natural frozen tropical fruit and a scoop or two of vanilla whey powder a teaspoon of flax oil and a tablespoon of oatmeal and fill the blender with water, juice or skim milk. (Orange juice and pineapple juice are my favorites). Another is to fill the cup with frozen blueberries vanilla whey powder a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder and skim milk . Chocolate Muscle Milk mixed with skim milk or water and a few ice cubes ain't bad either.
  • dartany
    dartany Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What is the best brand of whey protein power? What is the worse?
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For Whey - I use EAS because its under $30 for a 5lb bag at Sam's, and it's high quality. Champion is another good brand (Walmart) and GNC has a good line of Whey protein. If you search the threads I believe this question was answered by a bunch of folks with their opinions and advice.
  • sunbird0
    sunbird0 Posts: 6
    Options
    BEST protein ( and of course, the one I use) is Sun Warrior brand...made with rice! contains all of the amino acids and has the highest absorption rate, also much easier to digest than whey. Also, it is sweetened with stevia ( no refined sugar) and DELICIOUS!! sunwarrior.com
    As for fiber, sometimes I use psyllium, which can be purchased just about anywhere, but if your fiber intake is pretty low, i would suggest starting with acacia fiber, which is less irritating.
    hope this helps!! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I take psyllium husk fiber every day which is easily added to smoothies.
  • Tonja42
    Tonja42 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can always add Flax seeds to your shake, just grind them up and drink, very healthy.. and if you have hot breakfast ceral you can add them to it aswell.