Thighs? Help please!

Options
Dear members,

I hope you're all doing well with your fitness programmes, and was wondering if you could help me. Genetically, I have thick thighs (I say genetically because all my cousins have the same thighs as my grandmother). The upper part is quite thick and wobbly, and I get these concentrations of flesh/fat just below the hip bones.

Is there any way to tone that up? Any tips to lose volume there? It makes my hips look bigger than they are, and dresses that should flow down look a bit stuck there.

Thanks!

May :)

Replies

• Serret
    Serret Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'll be curious to see what people answer with this one. I have something very similar and all my female relations on my dad's sie have it.
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    i have this same problem!
    stupid genetics!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too.
  • Julieash
    Julieash Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    unfortunately where we store fat has more to do with genetics than anything else. And burning off fat will happen the same way. You can't 'tone' muscles (can't make them harder). You can only make them bigger and/or stronger OR smaller and/or weaker.

You can't spot reduce, target burn fat. You can just keep doing cardio, strength training and counting calories to help burn off that fat.

Dieting and cardio exercise cause lean muscle mass loss and a metabolism decrease (why we need less calories as we get smaller). Strength training can keep that from happening and building muscle will increase your metabolism and you will burn more fat during rest, normal activity and sleeping.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    unfortunately where we store fat has more to do with genetics than anything else. And burning off fat will happen the same way. You can't 'tone' muscles (can't make them harder). You can only make them bigger and/or stronger OR smaller and/or weaker.

You can't spot reduce, target burn fat. You can just keep doing cardio, strength training and counting calories to help burn off that fat.

Dieting and cardio exercise cause lean muscle mass loss and a metabolism decrease (why we need less calories as we get smaller). Strength training can keep that from happening and building muscle will increase your metabolism and you will burn more fat during rest, normal activity and sleeping.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try kickboxing if it is available to you. I have done it only a few times, but immediately after, I can feel it in my hips/buttox/thigh area. I have noticed a difference in inches =) Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Don't know why it posted twice. Can't remove it either.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It may be genetics, and/or it may be hormonal: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/05/12/how-do-i-get-rid-of-saddlebags

I had thick thighs/legs from adolescence until the past year or so. Whether finally slimming them down is due to hormonal changes (I'm 49) or walking 6-12 miles per day, I wish I knew. I tend to credit the walking because other women in my family continued to have big thighs throughout life, whereas my legs are now totally different.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't have any results yet, but I will say this.... I'm only 2 days into Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and my legs are SORE! I've always had bigger legs, even when I was skinny. They're already pretty muscular so I was SHOCKED by how this program has worked on my legs.

I'm sure that you'll get some really good advice on here from other people, but if you haven't tried this video, I'd suggest it! It's just killer on those thighs!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    id suggest a gym ball, if u go 2 utube it will show u all the exercises u can do with it and lots of exercises for thighes, i use the ball for the butt, doing 30 leg lifts per leg, and yes it does lift ur butt, stomach crunches and my stomach is flat, i have been walking lots and running, and have def noticed them toning up
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll explain as if you've never done these before. The front thigh is your quadricep. The back thigh is your hamstring. The best exercises for these muscles are squats, lunges and deadlifts. To get the most out of it, use a pair of medium-to-heavy dumbbells along with the exercises.

1. Dumbbell Squats (quadriceps)
    Starting Position: Hold two dumbbells at your sides, with your palms facing in. Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart.
    The Exercise: While keeping your shoulders, back, and head upright, bend your legs at the knees and lower your hips until hyour thighs are parallel with the floor. Then, pushing from your HEELS, lift yourself back up the starting position. Keep your back as straight as possible throughout this exercise.

2. Dumbbell Lunges (hamstrings)
    Starting Position: Stand with your feet together, toes pointed straight forward, and a dumbbell in each hand. Keep your shoulders squared, your chin up, and your back straight.
    The Exercise: Step forward with your right foot. Bend at your knees, and lower hyour hips until your left knee is just a couple inches off the floor. Push with the right leg, raising yourself back up to the starting position. Repeat until you've done the planned number of reps for your right leg; the do the same for your left leg.
    Tip: Don't lift your foot up. Keep it flat. The proper form is with one leg extended to the point where, when you bend down, your knee on the forward leg is over your foot, not out in front of it. The knee must always be behind your toes, otherwise you risk knee injury.

3. Straight-Leg Deadlifts
    Starting Position: Stand up straight, with your feet shoulder width apart and a dumbbell in each hand, your palms facing toward your legs. This is a terrific exercise for the hamstrings, and it helps strengthen the lower back.
    The Exercise: Bend forward at your hips, and slowly lower the dumbbells in front of you until the weights almost touch the floor. Keep your back straight throughout the exercise. Then, whle concentrating on the muscles in the back of your legs, raise your upper body and the weights to the starting position.
    Tip: Don't hunch over. Keep your back straight and fairly rigid.

I'm sure you can find videos online that will demonstrate these exercises if you need a visual. Also, search MFP's Exercise & Fitness message board. Another MFP member posted illustrations/pictures of many exercises. I apologize for any typos, I didn't proofread.
  • MaylanK
    MaylanK Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh wow :D!! Thanks for all the suggestions!! I do have a gym ball, so I'll start there. Thanks too for the very detailed exercises, bizco! There are some exercises my back problems allow me to do, so I will definitely try that :D

Good luck everyone!
  • dilansmom
    dilansmom Posts: 14
    Options
    I managed to get rid of my enormous thighs with the Hip Adducter and Hip Abducter machines. They're basically like the "Thighmaster" but both in and out.