Started Yesterday

Options
I've been struggling with my weight as I get older and despite all the best intentions, I'm not disciplined enough on my own to get the weight off and keep it off. My wake-up came before the holidays when I cracked the 200lb mark. Since then, I have tried to cut weight and over the last 90 days I have floated between 195 and 185. I'm 5' 7", so this is a problem. I also have a 1.5 hour commute on either side of my 9-hour workday and that doesn't leave much time for excercise. My dad is a type 2 diabetic and I really, really don't want that to be my future. So here I am. I want to get down to 150lb.

Replies

• barbad01
    barbad01 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well at least you are here and you are aware of the changes that nned to be made! Good job. Nutrition is 80% of weight loss so start by logging EVERY bite you put into your mouth. If you have a smart phone, this website has a free app so that you can log while you are at work. DON'T CHEAT and don't kid yourself. Be completely honest. The next thing i would say is to invest in some resistant bands, 8lb and 10lb dumbells, and a stabilizer ball. When you get home for work and unwind in front of the TV, do sets during the commercials for the entire length of the commercial. If you did this everyday each night while you watch tv (about 2 hrs of tv time) you will get in about 30 minutes of exercise daily. If you do these two things combined, the weight will slowly melt away and you will tone as well!
  • Stormywinter
    Stormywinter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

Myfitnesspal is a terrific site. There is a great support system and everyone is very encouraging. You can also join in on challenges that other members post. If you want to add my as a friend, be my guest. Good Luck and have fun!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome:smile:
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello, and WELCOME!!!
    First of all, do not be so hard on yourself.
    We are all in this together on this wonderfully supportive site.
    Sounds like since you have such a long commute, packing a lunch would be the best thing for you.
    If you eat out alot, then there are also options for you.
    If you want to start dropping weight quickly - may I suggest 2 different ways?
    The first one I love, but I started the second one many years ago, and go back and forth with the two.
    After my husbands death I got up to almost 180. I'm a very petite 5'1, and small framed.
    It showed, and I heard it from many people that I really gained weight.
    I didn't need anyone to tell me this - my clothes didn't fit at all, and I had to go up to size 16, and almost 18.
    A friend of mine went on the Atkins (see www.atkins.com) and stayed on the Induction which is the 1st part of it, and I could not believe how much weight this person lost.
    I tried it and lost almost 20 pounds in a month.
    If you look at my profile it says 10 pounds. I just adjusted it, but I now weigh in my 150's. I have 40 pounds to go.
    It's tough, but WE can do it my friend.
    On the Atkins you cut out high carbohydrates, count carbs up to 20 per day, and stay away from rice, potatoes, corn, bread, ketchup - all the things that turn to sugar. The Atkins puts you on a very low carbohydrate eating plan so you stay VERY full.
    Sometimes a person is so full you feel like you need to skip the next meal.
    The other one I like is the Scarsdale Diet (http://www.scarsdaledietmenu.com/scarsdale-diet-menu.html ).
    The difference between the Atkins and the Scarsdale is you can eat fruit on the Scarsdale, you can't on the Atkins, but both are great to jump start some of the weight you've been feeling overwhelmed with, which in turn will give you the incentive to go forward and build confidence that you CAN do this.
    It's wonderful to see you joined this site and are interested in losing weight.
    Know the most important step is to admit you need to change something, then try to change it.
    Come to us on this site - ask questions, log your food & water daily, read blogs, track your weight, invest in a pedometer to track your steps or how long you're walking, even if it's from home to the commuting area, or a desk to the printer for example.
    You'd be surprised at the little things that count.
    Look at your past days on here to see what you ate, and how you can improve your eating habits by taking one or two things out of your diet at a time that you know are hurting your weight and health.
    Again, I would suggest a low carb diet OR the Scarsdale Diet which is an old plan, but a good healthy plan.
    I wish you luck, and if you'd like please add me to your list of buddies. I would love to see your progress.
    God bless you, and help you with your goal. Take care of YOU first, then the rest will follow.
    Remember "If it is to be, it is up to ME".

:heart: ~Dee
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am older as well, and have struggled forever it seems. My first goal is to get below that God Awful 200 mark. it seems like it
    is taking forever!! But I feel like i am running out of time to do something about it. I am finding this site very helpful. It's making
    it not so difficult this time around. Good for you for getting started.