Sugar Allowances...

Options
WTF? Okay, so I had a bowl of steel cut oats, a cup of Very Vanilla soy milk and a small banana. My sugar allowances are over for the day already? Based on these numbers, how is anyone supposed to get 3-4 pieces of fruit in a day besides other foods with naturally occurring sugars? Your thoughts, folks?

Replies

• missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't have my food diary track sugars since I eat a lot of fruit, instead I track sodium, fat, fiber, protein, carbs, and calories. If you know that you are eating natural sugars that your body can process rather than artificial junk, you'll be just fine. Don't let it discourage you, after all, "It's a banana, not cheesecake!"
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    I don't really count the naturally occurring sugars in things like fruits and vegetables. They are actually good for you. When people talk about limiting sugar they are usually referring to refined sugar or products that have added sugar.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:
    I ignore the sugar. I look at it to remind myself, but if I can look back and see that I've gone over sugar because I ate a large apple and some soymilk, then no harm done.
    I also ignore fat and carbs, though. It's all a general guideline as far as I'm concerned. It's good to know the nutritional value of food I eat so that I can make better choices later.

*Note: ever try original soymilk? It's lower in sugar than the flavored vanilla and tastes better in my opinion.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you don`t you eat some serving of veg not all fruit - fruit has too much sugar
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    basically what they said. My apple wiped out my sugar intake for the day (along with 1 gram from my oatmeal this morning). I keep an eyeball on it, but I try to keep the natural sugar and added sugar separate in my head.

HTH.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track of my sugar b/c i also eat a lot of fruit. I am keeping track of fat, sodium, calories and fiber for the most part, also protein
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options

Its a natural sugar that is good for you.. its ok to eat lots of fruits.. and not worry about the sugars, its refined sugars that you need to be careful of!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I think the only person who has to watch the sugar in fruits is a diabetic.

I got so mad at the sugar reading when I was eating healthy all day. Today I took it off of my diary.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    not sure on your oats and milk what that bannana is full of sugar, ya ya ya it is natural sugar but it still isnt good for you. Not all things natural are good for you.
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Of course I eat vegetables. I aim for a well rounded diet as best as I can each day. But there are sugars in carrots too. This was my initial concern. So much naturally occurring sugars. Okay then. Thanks for the input folks!
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Of course I eat vegetables. I aim for a well rounded diet as best as I can each day. But there are sugars in carrots too. This was my initial concern. So much naturally occurring sugars. Okay then. Thanks for the input folks!

GREEN VEGGIES much better for you