Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much fiber should I have in a day?

JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
My tracker has me set up for about 10g of fiber each day but I try to eat food rich in fiber and almost always go over this number. Can/should I increase it or leave it and try to shoot just for the 10?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    mine is set for 16 grams... based on my own research and goals
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    As much as you can. The site sets it way too low for everyone.
    There shouldn't be a limit on fiber. Most foods in society are comparatively low in fiber, any way. Even oatmeal--3g of fiber per 150 calorie serving is NOT high fiber. I aim for 30-ish grams, although don't always meet this.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    I aim for 30-35g a day
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    MFP has this set WAY too low . . . I always have MORE than 30 grams per day. You have to work up slowly to that much though or you will regret it!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    As stated above, as much as you can. I tend to shoot for 40 grams a day, and go over it fairly regularly. Fiber is one of the few things that has lots of evidence that greater amounts will help you lose weight. Part of that may be because fiber tends to be found in so called healthy foods like veggies, bean, and whole grains. Either way, fiber is excellent for your health, so seek to eat more. One caution though, don't up your fiber level suddenly or you will find it excessively speeds up your food going through your digestive tract.
  • JustinTime4Dinner
    JustinTime4Dinner Posts: 13 Member
    I read that females need between like 20 and 30 grams of fiber each day. Males need like 35 grams. Also, keep in mind that there are 2 different types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. I don't know what that means exactly, but I am sure a quick Google search will yield all the information you could possibly need.
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    I agree that MFP default is WAY too low. The American Dietetic Association recommends 20-35g per day. I have mine set at 29 on MFP and almost always go over that.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    As long as you drink enough water to keep that fiber moving, it's unlikely that you're going to get "too much" fiber. I watch other elements and don't pay any attention to the fiber number on here. This is one of the reasons why:

http://www.realage.com/tips/high-fiber-foods-lower-cholesterol-reduce-belly-fat
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I agree that MFP default is WAY too low. The American Dietetic Association recommends 20-35mg per day. I have mine set at 29 on MFP and almost always go over that.

You mean 20-35 grams, 20-35 mg would be 0.025-0.030 grams, which would be next to none.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    I always aim for 25 grams of fiber each day. I also eat a lot of high fiber foods (or at least I try too) and I think the amount set is too low (just my opinion).
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    25g for women and 35g for men is recommended.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Thanks everyone. I upped mine to 20 to start out and will continue to monitor it. I appreicate the help!
  • JustinTime4Dinner
    JustinTime4Dinner Posts: 13 Member
    I agree that MFP default is WAY too low. The American Dietetic Association recommends 20-35g per day. I have mine set at 29 on MFP and almost always go over that.

You mean 20-35 grams, 20-35 mg would be 0.025-0.030 grams, which would be next to none.

Ha ha! Sorry dude, gotta laugh at this one. I know you probably posted before she corrected, but the system got to her first making you look pretty silly. lol Brilliant!
  • erickirb
    Thanks everyone. I upped mine to 20 to start out and will continue to monitor it. I appreicate the help!

if you increase fiber, make sure to drink more water.
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62

Yeah after I posted it I saw the mistake and corrected it. You were too fast for me! :)
  • jilaneeaf
    jilaneeaf Posts: 38
    Fiber One bars!! MMMMM!
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member

Erm...I think she did say 20-35g, not mg, so she's correct :smile:

I agree that the MFP limit is too low - I just go over it all the time, but maybe I should actually change my target!
  • erickirb
    I agree that MFP default is WAY too low. The American Dietetic Association recommends 20-35mg per day. I have mine set at 29 on MFP and almost always go over that.

Erm...I think she did say 20-35g, not mg, so she's correct :smile:

I agree that the MFP limit is too low - I just go over it all the time, but maybe I should actually change my target!

she corrected it after I quoted it.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    As a sort of side note regarding some of the things MFP tracks, please do realize that some of them are simply a 'At LEAST this much' whereas others are 'Try not to exceed this number'. Granted, the fiber number may be set super low (which is why things are customizable, yipee!!) But just keep in mind not ALL those numbers that turn red at the bottom of your food page are bad. Maybe it would be better if the neutral things exceeded could turn blue or something? I don't know...just a ramble-y side note.

Live the dream!
    Fiber!
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    I like the High Fiber Homestyle Minestrone from Progresso 7 g of dietary fiber per serving. Sodium is pretty high (690mg!), but it sure is tasty when you need a fiber bump-up every once in a while.