My Career is on the line.

Options
Hello, My name is Simon. I am trying to lose weight because I am currently in the USAF and my career is on the line. I am currently 230 lbs. I want to be at 170 but my goal is 180. I learned about this website in my "fat kid class" that I have to attend while on the "fat boy program" because I am a "large sarge". Seriously though, I could be out in four months if I do not pass my PT test.

My biggest goal is to get my waste circumference down. It needs to be 40" or less for me to have a chance to pass my PT test. If not then my wife and three children may go hungry. The economy sucks and it is hard to find a decent paying job right now. Besides, I like the Air Force.

Replies

• simon5282
    Options
    Hello, My name is Simon. I am trying to lose weight because I am currently in the USAF and my career is on the line. I am currently 230 lbs. I want to be at 170 but my goal is 180. I learned about this website in my "fat kid class" that I have to attend while on the "fat boy program" because I am a "large sarge". Seriously though, I could be out in four months if I do not pass my PT test.

My biggest goal is to get my waste circumference down. It needs to be 40" or less for me to have a chance to pass my PT test. If not then my wife and three children may go hungry. The economy sucks and it is hard to find a decent paying job right now. Besides, I like the Air Force.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    This website is great. Just keep working towards your goal and remember you can always find another job. The weight loss and better health will help you in your life and it will set a good example for your kids.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you can do it! It's great that you have a concrete goal, now all you need to do is take the steps in the right direction and you will get there. Of course, much easier said than done, but this site is a huge help!

Everyone is here to support you!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I hope this works for you.. I am also in the USAF and I can tell you it helped me shape up after having my little one. So, good luck!! Keep plugging away at it and you will get there.
  • haydenmw
    Options
    start walking then progress to running.
    Trust me, it works wonders.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options

First of all welcome! I started here in July when I happened buy. I have been a long time calorie counter and have found that it is the only thing that works for me! So my first suggestion is log everything you eat every day.
    Second fill in your goals or diet profile. You say you want to lose 50 lbs. That is a good long term goal but in my opinion not a realistic goal for 4 months. the maximum you can choose is 2 lbs. and if memory serves me right that would give you a mere 1300 -1400 calories a day!! Perhaps 1 1/2 lbs per week would be good. That would bring you down to around 210 lbs at the end of 4 months. That should get your waist size well under 40".
    Third thing that I would recommend is excercise. At this stage it sounds like you want to burn calories so choose an activity that burns them up. I do not enjoy running so I choose bike riding. If you can fit in a 1/2 hour per day it would go a long way to get you aerobically fit. That should help you pass your test. Does the Air Force offer you any trainers that can put you on a 4 month program?
    The last thing I would recommend is to use this site to your advantage. There is a lot of knowledge and support here.
    Good luck, and make sure you start logging everything tomorrow!! You can do it Sarge!!
  • Alisha127
    Options
    Hey honey we are in this together and look I'm posting just for you.
  • simon5282
    Options
    start walking then progress to running.
    Trust me, it works wonders.
    ...... So my first suggestion is log everything you eat every day.
    Second fill in your goals or diet profile. You say you want to lose 50 lbs. That is a good long term goal but in my opinion not a realistic goal for 4 months.....

It is a little different for me. I am already running 10 + miles a week, all mandatory. Granted I run slow, about a 9-10 minute mile, but I am still running it. The food log is also mandatory. If I don't keep track of my food then I am in trouble. The 60 lbs is a long term goal, but I need to lose two inches in four months. I would like to do it in a month so I can be done with this program and focus solely on the weight for my health and not worry about my career.

Thanks everyone, this seems like a great place.
  • Alisha127
    Options
    what no reply to your wonderful wife whom posted for you..I love you!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Take it slow--the only sure healthy way to lose weight and have a good chance at keeping it off is to lose it slow. This involves a complete change in lifestyle--you have to think of this as not just "temporary" but somethign you will be doing for the rest of your life. Sooooo, if you want to try something (diet wise) that you know you can't do for the rest of your life, then don't try it. In other words, quick fixes don't work. Complete life-style change. It works--it's the only thing that does work.

I, too, suggest bike riding--easier on your joints, and you can do it for longer periods of time than running, which will enable greater cardio value and greater increase in health, stamina, and calorie burn.

Also, welcome to you both!

AND PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THESE POSTS LINKED BELOW! They really contain a lot of good information and will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/9614-newbies-please-read-me

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • simon5282
    Options

I'm sorry baby. I replied on your started thread! I hope that gets me some forgiveness. I love you.
  • simon5282
    Options
    Take it slow--the only sure healthy way to lose weight and have a good chance at keeping it off is to lose it slow. This involves a complete change in lifestyle--you have to think of this as not just "temporary" but somethign you will be doing for the rest of your life. Sooooo, if you want to try something (diet wise) that you know you can't do for the rest of your life, then don't try it. In other words, quick fixes don't work. Complete life-style change. It works--it's the only thing that does work.

I, too, suggest bike riding--easier on your joints, and you can do it for longer periods of time than running, which will enable greater cardio value and greater increase in health, stamina, and calorie burn......

Bike riding sounds great. We will keep that in mind. As far as all my running, it is something that I am already used to because it is mandatory! It has been scene I joined. I just need to cut back on my massive food intake. I have mandatory PT five days a week and I am just doing what the Air Force says when they say it as far as diet.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Simon,
    Curious on your progress -- bump!!
    Some thoughts:
    Many times we don't eat enough or we overcompensate for our PT... you prob fit in one of those categories.
    Also, google portion distortion (I know the classes teach you portions but, really check your eyeballs). What I do is pour what I think 4 oz, 1 cup of broth, etc should be then I measure it -- I am pretty good at it now. Anyway, be realistic and you will probaby find some places where you are off...

Eat 5-6 small meals rather than 3 big ones. that is another way to keep your metabolism revved.

Lastly, if you are running 10 miles then your body has probably gotten efficient at it.. without adding mileage you can test your body by adding interval training.. you know as a kid, run to the next telephone poll, then back to your original pace.. make sense? do that through-out your runs and you will burn more calories.... and shock your body a bit (going the same pace every time doesn't improve your time and intervals will). 5 days a week. are you running 2 miles a day? I would add a weekend day of circuit training, aerobics or something.. also, run 1 extra mile a couple days to keep your body guessing after the mandatory PT if you can.

Good luck, hope you area making progress!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Simon says...........YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is pushing the cardio to help burn the calories, but don't forget about strenght training. If you build more muscles, you'll burn more calories. Or maybe you already do that the Air Force way? lol Good luck! And I can tell you've got support at home, because she's supporting you here too.
    Robin
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I guess I missed this when you originally posted, but welcome and thanks for your service (that goes for you too Alisha...being a military wife isn't exactly easy either!) Best wishes to both of you!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Welcome, this is a great website and will help you toward your goal. You'll get lots of support here. Log in often and ask questions.

Thank you for your service to our country!!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted on your progress.

I also am grateful for you and the sacrifices you and your family have made for the US

You CAN do this.
  • jangirls
    Options
    Yes this is a great website, they will motivate you and help lose the weight. good luck
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

I'm sorry baby. I replied on your started thread! I hope that gets me some forgiveness. I love you.

:laugh: That is awesome.
    You have a good woman beside you to help with the journey.
    My tips... for both.... healthier meals (little changes at a time), working out time (either together or making time so one can workout while the other has the kiddos), and enjoy learning new things (whether it's recipes, about foods, etc).

I am glad you have a support system at home and you guys have us.
    There are some great workout ideas on here too.
    I like the idea with starting with walks and working up (that's how I lost baby weight....20 minutes a day)

Take care! :flowerforyou: